Author Topic: Metallica: "What a bunch of pansies"  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Metallica: "What a bunch of pansies"
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2004, 12:13:28 AM »
You realize that besides Kieth Urban, most of the bands you listed haven't put out a record in about a decade? That's 10 years plus, give or take....

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2004, 12:17:05 AM »
Live put out a single not too long ago.

Like I said, Im too old to be trying to keep current .

I like what I like, and you will too.....even as you get old. :)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2004, 12:19:17 AM »
Originally posted by NUKE
Live put out a single not too long ago.

Like I said, Im too old to be thying to keep current .

I like what I like, and you will too.....even as you get old. :)

Live's last was 2003 or 2002... I liked it actually even though tho you couldn't but hear the sun setting...

"Like I said, Im too old to be thying to keep current ."

This will kill you.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2004, 12:20:09 AM »
Or maybe most the newer "music" just isn't any good.  We are in the midst of another "bad" period for music, not unlike the late '80's or the Disco era before that.   It will pass with time.

I'm not going to pretend to like this schlock just so I can look "trendy" or "cool", any more than I pretended to like trendy-in-its-day crap like MC Hammer or Milli Vanilli.

But then worrying about how "cool" or "modern" I am isn't exactly my priority in life.  I wear button-down shirts, never wear shorts (I despise the sloppy look most people wear these days), I drive a big brown sedan, and I still actually pay with cash unless I have no other choice (like internet purchases).

10 years from now I'll still be able to say that I like the Beatles or Boston or Hendrix or Alabama or ACDC or any such band without being embarrassed.   How many NSYNC or Britney Spears fans do you think there'll be a decade from now?

J_A_B

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2004, 12:34:02 AM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
Or maybe most the newer "music" just isn't any good.  We are in the midst of another "bad" period for music, not unlike the late '80's or the Disco era before that.   It will pass with time.J_A_B

You're wrong.

It won't pass, and you'll get smacked over the head with crap music from here to eternity. Don't think radio will wise up. And don't think your usual avenue for good music will in fact produce any.

You are a classic rock radio guy. Your measure of "good" is pure nostalgia. How could anything possibly measure up to that?

10 years from now I'll still be able to say that I like the Beatles or Boston or Hendrix or Alabama or ACDC or any such band without being embarrassed

Nice. But nobody's praising Brittney Agulara here. Thars way better than that. Maybe you get cred out in front of some old-timers bonfire weiner cook-out by saying "DC ROCKS WOOT!", but some are shaking their heads....

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2004, 12:38:16 AM »
Nash, have you ever listened to about 5 Hank tunes, performed by Hank,  in a row? By the end, you would probably want to kill yourself. That guy wrote some of the worst crap I have heard.

His music sucks, his voice is irritating and the lyrics are horrible.

from Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
The words and music of Hank Williams echo across the decades with a timelessness that transcends genre. He brought country music into the modern era, and his influence spilled over into the folk and rock arenas as well. Artists ranging from Gram Parsons and John Fogerty (who recorded an entire album of Williams' songs after leaving Creedence Clearwater Revival) to the Georgia Satellites and Uncle Tupelo have adapted elements of Williams' persona, especially the aura of emotional forthrightness and bruised idealism communicated in his songs. Some of Williams' more upbeat country and blues-flavored numbers, on the other hand, anticipated the playful abandon of rockabilly.

You guys is just plain ignernt.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2004, 12:42:20 AM »
blah blah Gram Parsons blah blah Uncle Tupelo (aka Wilco)....

Here's a very very good starting point....

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2004, 06:13:08 AM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
10 years from now I'll still be able to say that I like the Beatles or Boston or Hendrix or Alabama or ACDC or any such band without being embarrassed.   How many NSYNC or Britney Spears fans do you think there'll be a decade from now?

J_A_B

Agreed.  10 years from now, there will still be Metallica fans because of what they did early in their career.  I just lament that they kept going.

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2004, 10:44:10 AM »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  One man's noise is another's nirvana.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2004, 11:14:17 AM »
Even though I feel Zep was overated, to compare Metallica to them is absurd. Metallica wins most overated band award hands down
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2004, 02:17:59 PM »
Nash, have you ever listened to about 5 Hank tunes, performed by Hank,  in a row? By the end, you would probably want to kill yourself. That guy wrote some of the worst crap I have heard.

His music sucks, his voice is irritating and the lyrics are horrible.

Man, dood, it must suck to have no taste whatsoever :)

culero (just sayin' ;))
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2004, 05:17:00 PM »
"You're wrong. It won't pass"

Just like Disco and Hair Bands were here to stay too, right?  Fads always pass.

For being a "classic rock" guy isn't it funny that my radio is mostly on country stations (although most of them don't really play country anymore)?  Nah, it just so happens that most of the random bands I listed before happen to fall into the "classic rock" category.  I'll listen to a lot of different stuff.

I didn't say ALL modern music is horrible.  Some of it is decent.  3 Doors Down is okay and Toby Keith is reliable, to name a couple.  I said MOST of the new stuff is horrible--which it is.  I won't pretend to like the crap just because its "trendy".

I believe that if you life your life as your own, instead of trying to conform to all the lastest "trends", when you look back on your life 40 years hence you will never have a reason to say "what was I thinking?".

Name a few "modern" groups/singers that YOU like Nash.  

J_A_B

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2004, 07:49:04 PM »
I always thought Metalica sucked. Because they do. It seems that when a person doesn't play an intrument of any kind..they like Metalica.

If you do, you know they suck. Amazing what crap marketing will put over on the masses.

Marketing over talent works the majority of time tho..
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2004, 08:53:33 PM »
I always thought Metalica sucked. Because they do. It seems that when a person doesn't play an intrument of any kind..they like Metalica.

If you do, you know they suck. Amazing what crap marketing will put over on the masses.

I dislike Metallica "Today" Not because they suck, but because of the way they teated their fans, myself included. I disliked the change in there music after the Justice album. But to say that they have no talent is absurd. Talent comes in many forms, and to become as popular as they are takes talent. Marketing plays roles in it but this is more than marketing. I agree that everything past black could be racked up to marketing tho.

If you just go back and listen to Puppets the way the music is put together is awesome. There was a fire in Metallica in those days that doesnt exist today. Kirk ripped it up on that album, James riffs were amazing, fat crunchy agressive and fast. It was also very technical. Not to the point of some of the great guitarists in the world. But still lots of talent involved.

I have been playing guitar for 20 years now. I learned every riff cover to cover from every metallica relase up until black. And to say there is no talent is just wrong. I would stand the melodies and complexity of Kirks solos to any other guitarist of that era. Not as smooth as Clapton, Not as much feel as SRV, Not as technical as Satriani but somewhere in between. And very pleasing to the ear (if you like Metal).

Nopoop on this one you are just way off base.

RHIN0
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron