Author Topic: Question for Christians re: the news  (Read 2814 times)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Question for Christians re: the news
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2004, 08:07:46 PM »
No problems.

Problem is with the people who won't be up front with stuff.

J_A_B

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2004, 08:58:20 PM »
Originally posted by storch
I'll take it a step further Evil Adolf Hitler or Josef Stalin or Saddam Hussein or Fidel Castro or Ted Bundy were no more evil than Good Mother Teresa or Albert Schwitzer or Louis Pasteur or Karol Wojtyla or Saul of Tarsus or Martin Luther or John Calvin or John Wesley or John Knox or Dwight L. Moody.   I understand that the pagan mind will have a hard time grasping that concept.

Care to know my reasoning why?

about as much as you would care to know why i figure that through the correct use of the internet we can run an incredible amount of expirements in almost any field imaginable.

storch

« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2004, 11:11:28 PM »
Originally posted by phookat
Sure, go ahead.

OK you can find that in The Bible.  The book of Romans Chapter 3 verse 10.  BTW the book of Romans is a very well written piece of Christian apologetics.  It was written by a murderer.  Interesting read even from a secular world view.

storch

« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2004, 11:12:34 PM »
Originally posted by vorticon
about as much as you would care to know why i figure that through the correct use of the internet we can run an incredible amount of expirements in almost any field imaginable.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to communicate.  Would you care to clarify?

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2004, 11:58:51 PM »
Originally posted by AWMac
anonymous  It all comes down to who knows?  No one does. We all try to find that inner peace that will carry us along in life.

Hope you didn't think I was knocking on you.

nope never thought that. ive seen what you were describing myself. no offense taken.

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2004, 12:09:03 AM »
OK you can find that in The Bible.  The book of Romans Chapter 3 verse 10.

I thought you mentioned that you had some "reasoning".

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2004, 12:16:10 AM »
Someone adhering to what's specifically mentioned in the writings of their faith is not a valid reason to you? Well .... as long as space monkeys aren't brought into it. :)

Offline demaw1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2004, 12:21:00 AM »
captian apathy...You have to read portions of your post first to understand my reply.

I dont know of any christians that give blind support to someone who says they are a christian, if that christian is going against all of Adonai's teaching.' Of course as all humans are, they may be decieved for a time, or even ignorant , or hoping they will profit, or are motiviated in some way, but on the whole I havent seen it. Also if this christian is following a teaching not taught by the bible then he most likely isnt a christian, but a wolf in sheeps clothing.

When have christians used coercion lately [since we are talking about the present and not the past.]

There are times when the end does justify the means,such as embracing stalin to defeat hitler.

Nobody can lower the amount of evil in the world, except God ,and he isnt going to yet. Again since we are talking present,what christian or body of christians are doing evil.
or is evil perhaps not the right word?

Again, what christian or body of christians is doing evil in the name of God? Isnt that an oxy-moron?

self- righteousness for a christian ,will not feel good for long, I know you know that, and all the reasons for that, without me having to write for the next 2 hrs.

Yes, there are, in all walks of life ,and maybe more so for christians, all types of people. I would think the only difference between any christian, and non-christians is forgiviness. Forsure it isnt their nature. These types of christians as you say, will be sorted out by God , and no one else. I suggest non- christians could look at them and say, if God can forgive them why not me?
Other than that, just why do we care? what does light have to do with darkness?

So far as you teaching people by example, I would agree if you said some people, but since you said all people ,I can not agree. Whatever example you set, will not come close ,to the example Jesus set.  Me thinks you have forgotten Jesus saying....The world loves its own...why do you think the world would love you[my people] if it hated me?

No but Jesus did respond to evil done to his father in the temple.
 And he did tell peter he could call 10 thousand angels to destory the world and set him free. You said Jesus didnt raise a army or lay waste to a nation and you are right. Then again, why should he, when he had all the host of heaven, at his command?

Perhaps telling certain people here, the reason he didnt call on the host of heaven, is because of the total love he has for these same people.He kept his mouth shut, to give all of us a chance.

But make no mistake, that army is coming soon, very soon, to do what you said he didnt do way back then.

We can not overpower this world in the name of God, Satan was given power by God to rule this world until the full fill ment of time.Granted, greater is he that is in us, than he that is in the world. But I get mixed up as to when you are talking spiritually or humanly. We are charged to .... as we make our way in the world to spread the gospel. I know this isnt  written in the words the K.J. uses, but it is how it is written in the Greek.

Its late, I have most likely made most hate me more than they did if they even read this. I need to study your last 2 paragraphs in the context of your writings, i just cant square a few minor details yet. Btw I hate that phrase W.W.J.D.
  respectfully demaw.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 12:29:21 AM by demaw1 »

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2004, 01:30:18 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Someone adhering to what's specifically mentioned in the writings of their faith is not a valid reason to you?

I guess I'm distinguishing between "Giving my reason" and "Giving my reasoning".  When you say the latter, it implies (to me) some individual thought of your own, specifically related to the subject at hand.  Otherwise, there's no reason to say "Care to hear my reasoning."  You can just say "I believe everything in the Bible" and be done with it.

IOW, the way he wrote his post, it seemed to me to imply that we could have a discussion on the subject.  Obviously that is not the case.

storch

« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2004, 03:29:54 AM »
Originally posted by phookat
I guess I'm distinguishing between "Giving my reason" and "Giving my reasoning".  When you say the latter, it implies (to me) some individual thought of your own, specifically related to the subject at hand.  Otherwise, there's no reason to say "Care to hear my reasoning."  You can just say "I believe everything in the Bible" and be done with it.

IOW, the way he wrote his post, it seemed to me to imply that we could have a discussion on the subject.  Obviously that is not the case.

As I mentioned to you the book of Romans is simply the very best piece of Christiam Apologetics ever written.  Taken as a literary work and not as divinely inspired writing the brilliance of it's author leaps at one from the pages.  Your irrational fear of Christianity blinds you.  I will wager any sum that you have no clue as to what is written in that text because you have never taken the time to look for yourself.  You are ignorant and are seemingly blissful to remain so.  Still I for my part admire your faith.  It is both marvelous and amazing.  However your intellect is wanting.  :rofl

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2004, 06:29:00 AM »
ever notice religion and poetry and taste etc all fit in the "irrational" box?  
Good luck debating.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2004, 07:05:57 AM »
of your writings, i just cant square a few minor details yet. Btw I hate that phrase W.W.J.D.
  respectfully demaw.

Its one of my fav phrases.
All it means is to stop and think, am I being Christlike in my responce? Should I type this? Should I do this? What would my lord do in this situation? Is taking this inkpen home from work stealing? Should I be thinking this way?

Its a measuring stick. No one knows Gods thoughts, but its easy enuff to know if Jesus would have any part in what your about to do or say.

WWJD  a very fine way to look at life, give it a think.

disclaimer: No man is good,not even me ;->

. [/B]

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2004, 09:18:00 AM »
As I mentioned to you the book of Romans is simply the very best piece of Christiam Apologetics ever written.  Taken as a literary work and not as divinely inspired writing the brilliance of it's author leaps at one from the pages.  Your irrational fear of Christianity blinds you.  I will wager any sum that you have no clue as to what is written in that text because you have never taken the time to look for yourself.  You are ignorant and are seemingly blissful to remain so.  Still I for my part admire your faith.  It is both marvelous and amazing.  However your intellect is wanting.  :rofl

Umm...  OK.  Is English your first language?  Anytime you want to explain yourself or your reasoning, feel free.  Until then, I'll assume you don't have any "reasoning", and you believe everyone is completely evil based on pure faith, which of course there is nothing wrong with.

But given that I am intellectually wanting, you should have no problem defeating me with your brilliant arguments. ;)  Just curious why you haven't brought them up yet?

Incidentally, I did read Romans 3:10, right after you posted it.  It repeats your statement, but offers no explanation for it.

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2004, 09:25:36 AM »
Originally posted by moot
ever notice religion and poetry and taste etc all fit in the "irrational" box?  
Good luck debating.

Yeah, true to at least some extent.  I'm sure nothing will come of this "discussion" either.  Oh well.

Offline demaw1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2004, 07:44:16 PM »
X2lee.....

Thought about it again,still dont like it.WWJD is always reduced to ...you have a suv that doesnt get 50 miles to the gallon , oh your a christian    well....WWJD.

There are many more but what the heck youve heard them.
  But one of the worst is when a christian ends a discussion with WWJD as if ...well me and Jesus is buds and he told me to say to you WWJD cause we think alike.

To me there are other ways to calm your self if you need to, but this one backfired and look how the world uses it now.

Not putting those down that use it ,just my opinion.
 respectfully demaw.