Author Topic: Old Thick Coke Bottles  (Read 398 times)

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Old Thick Coke Bottles
« on: August 14, 2004, 11:54:54 AM »
Do they still sell those somewhere? When I was 19 they used to sell them in St. Pete, Fl. Coke just seemed to taste so much better in those glass bottles, couldn't get along w/o them. We used to buy the 16oz 8 packs. It's been almost 20 years since, do they still have them in Florida or anywhere else?
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Old Thick Coke Bottles
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 11:58:04 AM »
They still sell coke in small glass bottles.  Not sure of the size, I would guess 8 or 12 oz.

I agree, softdrinks taste better in glass.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Old Thick Coke Bottles
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 12:20:54 PM »
In Amarillo, at the Pak-a-Sak I always go to before work. They have a big cooler, icebox lookin' thing. With coke in the glass bottles. It's a little smaller than the plastic bottles.

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Old Thick Coke Bottles
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 01:25:42 PM »
In Franklin, Indiana, there is a sandwhich shop that still sells the small 5oz. bottles for 5 cents..

Yumm, tastes so good! :aok
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Old Thick Coke Bottles
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 01:43:00 PM »
There is a small market here in So. Cal. that specializes in stocking and selling every kind of soda and bottle available. They even have a bottler making some of the old bottles... like the old Dr. Pepper with the 10-2-4 on the lable.

I'll try to dig up the name. I think they're doing internet sales too.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Old Thick Coke Bottles
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 07:00:08 PM »
If you go to a Mexican Taqueria, they will have the Coke you remember from your childhood.  The bottle is not the defining thing, though they do use them; it is the fact that they use sugar instead of fructose.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Old Thick Coke Bottles
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 11:35:02 PM »
they still sell the small glass bottles of Coke here in Tampa
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Old Thick Coke Bottles
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2004, 01:20:33 AM »
Lizking is right. The difference is the lack of high fructose corn syrup. Real sugar tastes better and is healthier. You can also get Dr.Pepper made with real sugar from Dublin Dr. Pepper.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Re: Old Thick Coke Bottles
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2004, 01:24:32 AM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
Do they still sell those somewhere? When I was 19 they used to sell them in St. Pete, Fl. Coke just seemed to taste so much better in those glass bottles, couldn't get along w/o them. We used to buy the 16oz 8 packs. It's been almost 20 years since, do they still have them in Florida or anywhere else?

I buy Coke in  bottles from Mexico and they taste like the old American Coke. Want to know why? It's not the bottle, I have been told that it is the sugar cane used. Mexico still uses the original while we use "sugar"

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
Old Thick Coke Bottles
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2004, 12:33:33 PM »
Off-topic, but the title on thick bottles reminded me of my high school days.

We would take Corona bottles (because they were thicker than US beer bottles), fill them with gas and jam the cap back on.  Then we would set them in the fire.  The gas would begin to boil and come out from under the lid under pressure.  It would catch fire and rush back into the bottle.

Which would then explode out of the bottle and make the coolest 10-15 ft firebottles.

....and yes, Dr. Pepper and Coke taste better in glass bottles.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Re: Re: Old Thick Coke Bottles
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2004, 12:56:32 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
I buy Coke in  bottles from Mexico  

Why are you exporting jobs?

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Cola
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2004, 12:58:54 PM »
Ft. Bragg, NC just as you come in from Spring Lake, take your first right...look to your left and the are 2 white 2 story wooden Barracks..WWII type. 2nd building from the left inside is an old Coke Machine.... Really old!

Been there for years...Old Soda machine, Just 15 cents a soda, the old light green thick bottles.

The old saying went that one old 82nd Airbourne soldier that went from Bragg and dropped into St. Mere Eglise on D-Day and into Germany eventually came home and remembered his time at Bragg.  He donated big bucks $$$$$ upon his death to keep that machine and pop in the barracks at the same price.  But at the time it was a nickel...but an additional ten cents has been donated by an unknown and Coke~Cola has kept the dream going, just as long as the bottles are returned... Same old wooden cases too..

Best Coke~Cola I have ever had.  Last one I drank from that machine was back in 1983.

Caps up front, pay and slide one out... Mmmmm memories.

:aok
« Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 01:23:48 PM by AWMac »

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Old Thick Coke Bottles
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2004, 12:59:16 PM »
Because they have a better product.