Author Topic: Where`s the Challenge?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Where`s the Challenge?
« on: March 31, 2000, 03:24:00 AM »
 It seems some folks get their jollys by waiting until there are no Knights online and then taking most of their fields unopposed. Every day this week I`ve logged on and we`re trying to fight our way out of a corner with only a few fields. By late evening we usually manage to regain our territory but as the night gets late and most Knights log off the scorepotatos re-take what we`ve fought all night for. It would be nice to have an invulnerability option kick in for certain fields if the #`s drop too low during the off hours. Let them pad their scores by bombing but make it impossible to take the strategic fields of the country. (elevated ones) It isn`t a lot of fun to be not only outnumbered but to also have your HQ field in enemy hands where they can continually destroy the countrys strategic resources with impunity. Seems like another way to "game the game" in my opinion and shows no honor or sense of fair play at all.  

------------------

JG2 "Richthofen"
=CO= I./JG2 "Richthofen"

Aces High Instructor Corps

[This message has been edited by weazel (edited 03-31-2000).]

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Where`s the Challenge?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2000, 06:30:00 AM »
I reported this more than a month ago, and no one moved a finger to stop it. There are a bunch of a****les that only like to take undefended fields. I also asked for the invulnerability of an 0-member country. Again noone moved a finger.

Is as clear as that rookies and bishcuits only can win us if they gangbang, or they come at "unusual" hours.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Where`s the Challenge?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2000, 07:46:00 AM »
Hello gents.  I fly Bish in here, and sorry to disapoint you but it happens to us and rooks as well.  Twice this week I logged on and we had only three airfilds.  As a matter of fact Kieren even defected to help us  I fully agree that its not fun getting bounced time and time again, and to make matters worse ohters log-in, and log right back out   I agree with this post don't get me wrong guys, my point is it happens to all countries not just Knights.

Skernsk

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Where`s the Challenge?
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2000, 08:00:00 AM »
I flew for a few hours last night. Rooks took the two Bishop bases 3 and 7 and then looked up and saw a large gathering of Bishops attacking a completely undefended F21, so we went and attacked 22. If we had had a C47 with us on the intial stiek it would have been ours. Lol. While all you knights flying at 30k were porking our field 21 along with the two other Rook bases just south of the mountain range it would have been a hoot to snag 22 as you left the back so wide door open.
 I did hear word of a run deeper into your territory before I left. Must have worked  
 I logged after the intitial attack on 22   but we WERE outnumbered handily by you Kinnigits from the start.

The Knights were attacking undefended bases, got the attention of alot of Rooks south of you and you got clobbered.

So what's the problem?

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 03-31-2000).]

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Where`s the Challenge?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2000, 08:11:00 AM »
Weazel, Ram-

While you normally see me flying Knights with you, this week the numbers have been decidedly anti-Bish. The fact is Bish has been hard pressed to keep fields. Remember this past weekend? The combined JG2 and 332nd raid? You guys were working F1 and the Rooks had their whole force on F4. You guys had something like 38 on, Rooks 25, Bish 17. To your credit you were trying to force the reset. Bishops just somehow found a way to hang on.

In no way would I have wanted the fields to be invulnerable. It was a huge fight, but it was challenging because we had our backs to the wall. With fields locked, it wouldn't have been any challenge to keep the fields. Moreover, IMHO it is far worse to be locked down to a couple fields than to have a reset.

I understand your point is to have the main bases be "safe". But how can that be accomplished without infringing upon the play of people around the world? Think about it. It is always someone's "peak hours". Locking field positions for any period of time establishes a heirarchy of player value, i.e., if you are in the right time zone you are more valuable than those that are not. I don't think that can happen on a 24/7 world-wide game.  

The point is, if any side gets caught in the uneviable position of losing a main base, all effort should be made to attack and retake the base. This is a huge resource drain on the defending country, which makes the main base the "plum" of the country. I know sometimes it's tough to fight undermanned (boy, how I know!) but I wouldn't change this aspect of play.  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Where`s the Challenge?
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2000, 08:49:00 AM »
When  HTC adds more  strat, more players will follow.  I think this problem will take care of itself in..."two weeks"..

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Where`s the Challenge?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2000, 09:27:00 AM »
One way to improve this situation would be to add extra AI acks (including some 88mm), that are automatically shut down as player number strength increases.  This would make it REAL hard to capture fields of lightly defended countries, and force countries with large numbers to devote some to defense.

popeye

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited 03-31-2000).]
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Where`s the Challenge?
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2000, 09:39:00 AM »
 I guess I should have been clearer in my post.Here is an example,last night there were only few Knights online,we were deep in the south hitting Rook HQ when most most of the countries players logged off.This left our strategic fields wide open.The 19 Rooks proceeded to grab fields 22,18,and 19. They were going for 17 when I logged off and I`m sure they took it as there was only 1 Knight left when I logged. I know this is a problem for all countries involved,I only used the Knights as an example for this thread. Again I think this is pretty lame and almost switched sides to force a reset but had to get some sleep. I`m sure we could have prevented the captures by augering our long bomber mission,but then we would have been vulch bait. It`s still just a lame a** way of gaming the game IMO.

funked

Where`s the Challenge?
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2000, 10:44:00 AM »
Wait you guys quit and we are supposed to check the roster and cancel a raid?

Offline Extreme

• Zinc Member
Where`s the Challenge?
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2000, 10:45:00 AM »
Unfortunately, it happens and I see it often in my primetime.  Now if we could swap and change sides without having to wait 12 hours, I'm sure many would gladly change sides to find a fight.  

Sorry for throwing a spanner in the works, but Weazel I think this is one reason why the situation you refer to happens.

(My 0.02c(au) x US Exchange rate...)

Ex.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Where`s the Challenge?
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2000, 11:22:00 AM »
Sometimes, I like being down to a few fields.  This way it brings the enemy to me.  Flying a Spit V over my own field with 1/4 tank of fuel.

Bring it on baby!!  The attackers at this time get a little cocky and start furballin low and slow.  Yum! Yum!

Now notice I said "sometimes".  Normally this course ends up with the attackers getting the advantage and "boom" ya got vulchfest!    

There is a peroid of time between being "backed against the wall" and "vulchfest". This is the best time.  

Plus this time also brings forward certain enemy pilots that I normally don't see unless there is a potential "vulch" going on.      When off-line, they must have an alarm on their computers that report,  "Possible vulch situation forming at Knight F13"  Then they log on and proceed to F13 with their "Quakehog" or any other notable vulch machine.    

Actually it is pretty funny!     To each his own! Hey!  Vulching is part of the game, and I also do it on occasion.  I normally end up getting there too late, or no ammo, or no fuel.  I make my first pass and ack comes back up!

All countries take this type of abuse.  While hot action was going on up north, I took a B26 to bomb F16.  Why did I do that?  No defenders!  Easy bombing!  Well for awhile anyways!  Was it a mean and bad thing to do?  Yes!  Of course it was!!  War is mean and bad!

I've seen times when Knights were kickin butt, and I've also seen times when Knights were getting their butts kicked.  What goes around, comes around!  Nature of the beast!

Just my opinion, and a mighty lowly one at that!!    

Have a nice day!!    

------------------
Swager
-XO- II/JG2~Richthofen~
"Damn.....I can't believe I missed that shot!!!"

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by Swager (edited 03-31-2000).]
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Where`s the Challenge?
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2000, 11:26:00 AM »
Weaz. it is kinda crummy. I did it a couple of weeks ago because while there where only 2 knights on to 15 rooks or somthing only 4 of us where after the knights. When resistance had pretty much ceased I called it.
Who was bragin about a circle of fields last week..where all of those contested? It can be fun to sneak a field, and you have to asume that the other guy still wants to fight right? Out numbering a guy 15 to 1 is just lame. switch to the other front.

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
Where`s the Challenge?
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2000, 03:26:00 PM »
hiya all:

to sneak in and take a field with no defenders watching because there busy someplace else is one thing, but what weazel is saying, when there are no rooks, or bishops, or knights on, what is the challange of attacking a field that you know with out a dought nobody will defend. if there are no rooks online and i am online, i wont waste my time attacking a rook field, i can play for free offline and do that. i am paying $30 u.s. a month, i want there to be somebody to shoot at and to shoot at me, i do beleive that is the challange and the fun. and pongo, what you said about 10 to 15 vulchers hitting a field with one defender, well you have seen me as the one defender, hope i made you work hard for those few times it has happened, (big evil grin).

but i beleive weazel is right in the fact that some pilots, (and im sure all three teams have them) can and will attack when nobody there to defend, must be the low life crap pilots doing it, only way they can say, * hey look at what i did* woop, well it will happen and will not stop, so what the hell. try to have fun anyhow.

blue skies all

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Where`s the Challenge?
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2000, 04:03:00 PM »
Solution comes by time.. I am sure they will make fields stronger in the future, not to talk about more targets to kill before able to capture the field.

I don't think that this 250lb / building will continue forever..

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
Where`s the Challenge?
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2000, 04:04:00 PM »
Hi All,

Doesn't this prove yet again that 3 countries suck?

I know most major wars (WWII included) had more than 2 major players but at the end of the day it's us verses them. 2 sides is the right choice you know it makes sense...

TTFN
snafu