Author Topic: How Viginia bleeds it's population into poverty  (Read 782 times)

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
How Viginia bleeds it's population into poverty
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2004, 11:13:29 AM »
I actually live just outside of Martinsville, in a little town called Fieldale.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2004, 12:10:42 PM »
Rain to drivers in the DC area is like a liquid full frontal lobotamy. You could leave your office at 8PM and still get stuck in traffic.
-SW

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2004, 03:05:21 PM »
Everyone who wants to force Hampton Roads, Virginia out of the United States check in here:D

Vote of YES from the gentleman from Jacksonville,FL

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2004, 03:16:57 PM »
You think Virignia is bad? Move to Prince George's County Maryland.

Higher Taxes, worse roads, much much worse schools (well, compared to Norther Virginia anyhow).

Fairfax County Virginia is paradice on Earth compared to the PGC, although I wound't choose to live anywhere near here if I had a better choice.  

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2004, 03:19:04 PM »
PG County is just DC extended. The only thing keeping Alexandria and Arlington from getting like that is the Potomac River.
-SW

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2004, 03:37:54 PM »
Originally posted by sinkhole
I remember the radio mentioning sun glare delays when I lived in NY.

I've lived in Joisey pretty much all of my allmost 43 years now

Much of our trafic reports come out of NY

I've never heard a sun glare delay.

LOL round here you lallygag on the road due to sun during rush hour your more then likely to hear horns honking and people saying not so nice things about you, your car your family and just about anything else about you often with extreme vulgarity and all in the same sentance.

And THATS just what you will hear from the retired silver haired old ladies LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2004, 08:54:48 PM »
Why dont you folks who live around DC in PG  and Fairfax county, move to the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia, Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown (My Old Stomping Ground), Charlestown, Thats all in in Jefferson County WV, no more than an Hour Drive to DC, Short Train Ride to DC stops near every place I mentioned, although the rails end in Martinsburg.

Homes are starting to get expensive thier though, Everybody who moved here in the late 90's is either from Maryland Virginia or DC. I moved there in 91, and saw Jefferson county explode with new housing, And from this boost Jefferson County is the wealthiest county in West Virginia, even beating the capital, Charleston. Everybody realised they could beat the taxes by moving here.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2004, 09:53:23 PM »
Originally posted by Nefarious
Why dont you folks who live around DC in PG  and Fairfax county, move to the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia, Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown (My Old Stomping Ground), Charlestown, Thats all in in Jefferson County WV, no more than an Hour Drive to DC, Short Train Ride to DC stops near every place I mentioned, although the rails end in Martinsburg.

Did you hear about the fire at the West Virginia Governer's Mansion? Burned it all the way down to the wheels it did.

But honestly, my commute is bad enough as it is, living in Fairfax and Working/going to school downtown. This was as far west as I felt I could go.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2004, 11:28:32 PM »
What a troll thread.  Virginia IS for lovers -- of the greenest state  with the best climate in the nation (long spring and fall, pleasant summer, brief winter).  Was one of largest states before West Virginia split away in Civil War.  

Tough on crime, good to its citizens, represents the best of South and North, historic heart of the nation, but yes, getting expensive and clogged with traffic, especially Northern Virginia.

We've considered retirement spots all over the nation, but still can't find anywhere better than Virginia.  If, considering all factors (research, not just opinion), you know a better place to live, be a kind soul and share it.  

Compared to other areas, Virginia usually experiences only hurricane remnants, few tornados, few floods, virtually no earthquakes, few fires, few pests, excellent balance of moisture and sun, and winter just long enough to kill off the worst bugs.  

In Northern Virginia you're close to everything (mountains, seashore, big cities, small towns, gorgeous rolling country) but far enough away too.  

Unfortunately, if you choose to join us, bring a fat wallet.  Cost of living is not the highest but not the lowest either, and it just keeps increasing, particularly housing prices.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2004, 05:58:57 AM »
Originally posted by Halo
Unfortunately, if you choose to join us, bring a fat wallet.  Cost of living is not the highest but not the lowest either, and it just keeps increasing, particularly housing prices.

New Joisey While has on average the highest income in the nation is also among, if not the most expencive states to live.

Example. I have a simple 3 bedroom ranch.

My sister lives just outside of Richmand and recently had a brand new house built well over twice the size of mine on roughly the same landspace for  just over 1/4 of what my  40 year old house would cost to buy right now.

So it couldnt be worse LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty