Author Topic: Yak-9 Southern Front, Opinions Please  (Read 6162 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Yak-9 Southern Front, Opinions Please
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2004, 09:47:19 AM »
There's no doubt modelling makes you strange... and I agree that the virtual lighting in AH presents challenges. What you see in PS is not what shows up in AH. I've had the same problem with the weathering, which looks great in PS, but does not show up in AH.

As having skinned many aircraft myself, I fully agree.

Like I said, the bright contrasted colors you are using are clearly intended for either; 1) real life painting, or 2) lighting conditions under which a modeller can photograph a plane and make it look right, or 3) building a mono-tone profile picture for use on the net.

The above example is what lightings can do to colors. This is a pic of a Yak-9 model featured in Mr. Pilawski's site, which he built himself. It is using the standrad two-tone green camou of the   VVS which was extensively used before '43.

Those colors, look nothing like Pilawski's own take on the standard VVS camou.

And of course, his suggested colors in that profile pic, looks also hugely  ifferent, from the real two-tone green camou which we can observe from reconstructed photos. (both pics are of Mig-3 in the two-tone green, light blue  standard VVS camou)

The point is, the color chips serve a specific function for certain instances, but more often than not, it quickly contradicts the "feel" when skinning aircraft.

Which, of course is the essence of 'scale effect' on color, it's just much more noticeable here. Over time, I've tried to stop arguing about 'accuracy', because the only reliable reference is an actual photograph and the guy who painted the airplane, and there are problems with both of those ( memory fades, photos don't print in true color, etc. ). I've obviously not entirely succeeded.

At any rate, the "accuracy" of provided examples are almost 100% hypothetical. Aside from the USAAF or the USN, there's virtually no known real life sample of actual RLM camou or VVS camou - which makes skinners free of contradiction. We skin planes to make it look right!

I'm really making an effort to overcome my 'institutional arrogance', in that the paint chip 'must be' right, which is one of the reasons I asked for help. One factor is there is a style ( for streaks, dirt and panel lines, and so forth ) that folks are used to looking at in AH which may bear no resemblance to reality, so some concessions must be made to style to 'make it look right' as well as to compensate for scale effect and the AH lighting. It's a difficult adjustment to make.

And I've still got to deal with the paint feathering and several other problems not related to the shade of paint.

So, what would have Souther Front VVS camou looked like?

The two colors are respectively referred to as ochre-brown and sand-brown. The Southern Front stretched near the Black Sea area was very different from the lush green steppe lands - often with wide stretches of dirt and very sparse vegetation. While the sand-brown/ochre-brown scheme was itself  very rare in the VVS, still, in effect  these camou colors were aimed at achieving the same thing as RAF or Luftwaffe Desert Camo.

The profile drawings here, are of Mig-3s of the 7th IAP VVS stationed at the Black Sea area. The light brown tone used in the two aircraft are the basic examples of the "sand-brown" tone. The darker brown tone, was used in many other fronts as well.

And last, but not the least - the color pics of the Yak-9T that I first linked: those were from Mr. Pilawski's website too. The description of the photo goes;

"Paints and decals supplied by E. Pilawskii."

In other words, Mr. Pilawski himself, thinks the color should look that way. :)  The end result is always more important than what a set of data might suggest, and that is my final take on this issue. :)

Thanks for listening!

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2004, 01:21:21 PM »
i wanna make that next !!!1

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2004, 06:55:13 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Thanks for listening!

I would say, "Thanks for providing!".  Information sharing makes it all better...

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2004, 09:25:08 PM »
Kweassa, fruda, straffo, reschke ( and whoever else I've forgotten ):

Color modified, camo softened, weather effect increased, exhaust kind-of corrected, no squad art yet, can't check that one.

Left to do: panel line colors??, exhaust streaks, gun muzzle camo color, control surface shading and color?

Let me know what you think...

Thanks for all your help,

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2004, 08:46:21 PM »
Submitted 9/25.

Changed panel lines and control surface shading to gray/black ( thanks GuyNoir ), increased weathering, adjusted colors, corrected stencil color and exhaust stains. The AH lighting washes out the side weathering in this view, it actually matches the top...the files are big to keep detail...

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2004, 09:21:04 PM »
That looks SWEET!  It will definately be my Yak ride when I use one.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2004, 10:21:31 PM »
Thanks!

It took a lot of help from others and a lot of work...

It this one flies, the other major camo schemes not in the game are Green/Black/Blue, Lt Green/Dark Green/Blue.  There are also several other versions of gray/gray/blue, but they're not much differnt than the standard version, unless ace markings can be found.

I'm looking for actual photos of Yak-9s in the other schemes.

I hope to hear something from HiTech soon, but folks have been reporting delays of weeks.  They'll get there when they get there...too many gophers, too few clubs...