Author Topic: Whats the longest distance that you have got a kill from?  (Read 1911 times)

Sorrow[S=A]

Whats the longest distance that you have got a kill from?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2000, 07:27:00 PM »
I have 2 kills at 900 yds, one on film. 1st was an F4U at 900 or so, in the La-5 with a conv of 275, it was a hail mary to try and make him break left or right. I knew he couldn't see me in his 6 so i wanted to knee jerk him over. Well with about 50 rds fired he started puking black and white smoke and dropped like a rock and died.
Second was a B-26, I was in a G10 w 3x20mm, I started firing at d1200 and hit him with at least 70-80 rds dead on the 950yd mark. He literally blew apart covered in ping flashes. I can repeat this one easily. once you have the range it is easy to do. but it uses like half of the ammo in the G10.

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2000, 04:28:00 AM »
Not a kill in this one, but this afternoon I was flying near F8 in a stang when Camel in a 109 (don't know the version) nailed me in a tail chase at 950yds on his FE (1200 on mine).  I was weaving, but not doing hard breaks so as to conserve E.  Then again, you'd have to think you're fairly safe with the nearest con 1200yds back.

Single burst removed both my ailerons and left flap.  Was lucky to make it home alive.

------------------
C.O. Phoenix Squadron
www.users.bigpond.com/afinlayson/index.htm
'feel the heat .......'

Offline SC-GreyBeard

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/oneshot/main.htm
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2000, 09:51:00 AM »
From my buff have pinged guys at 1.8
furthest actuall kill at around 1.3.

In plane, furthest ping at about 1.5
furthest kill around 1.2
with convergence set max.

Depending on inb plane, usuall opening range is around 1.6 from buff.
(short single bursts to track)
around 800 for ftrs.
------------------
GreyBeard
Flight Commander, Aces High
Skeleton Crew

[This message has been edited by SC-GreyBeard (edited 02-05-2000).]

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2000, 11:08:00 AM »
MANDOBLE sez "when you go HO (and you cant evade HO) against a F4UC"

Ok, maybe YOU can't evade an HO, but I certainly can.  If you are having trouble avoiding the HO, try to go slightly below the enemy's nose, and off to one side a bit.  I usually start this way at D2.5 or so, and as he angles for the HO shot, I push lower and do some kind of roll or gentle evasive at about D 1.2.  This will make them miss almost every time.  The only times I get caught in an HO I can't avoid is if I was stupid enough to get slow in my Hawg.  With no speed, you can't evade, and you are out of options if low.  If you have even 200 Mph of speed though, you CAN evade the HO.  I evade them almost every time, and gain a significant angle and/or energy advantage when my opponent presses for the HO shot.

Learn to avoid the HO and you will see your kill/death ration improve 100%, I guarantee.  The mistake most people make is not doing the evasive early enough.  With net lag as a factor, D1.2 or more is where you need to start the evasive, and as the bogie gets to D300 or so I'm out of the evasive and into my next move.  It works.

------------------
Lephturn
The Flying Pigs