Author Topic: Open Letter as sent to Hitech (from me, a Bishop)  (Read 4373 times)

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
Open Letter as sent to Hitech (from me, a Bishop)
« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2004, 11:53:47 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 12:59:31 PM by hitech »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #136 on: September 09, 2004, 01:29:49 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 01:46:14 PM by hitech »

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
« Reply #137 on: September 09, 2004, 06:49:56 PM »
-
-
-
Arlo:

:D  

Arlo

Offline RDSaustinTX

• Copper Member
« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2004, 10:57:09 PM »
Has anyone here ever put forth an argument that unequal numbers in the arena is a good thing?

YES HT, UNEQUAL NUMBERS IS A GOOD THING.

New thread ensues.

Mullah

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2004, 01:06:58 PM »
Originally posted by MOIL
Of course they fire up IL2 & OFP @ 1600x1200 it looks awesome then wonder why they spent all this money only to be rewared with a major let down.  

Apples and Oranges there buddy.....neither one of those are MMORPG

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2004, 01:24:56 PM »
Originally posted by sling322

bingo!
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2004, 03:05:20 PM »
Bravo, KurtVW, nicely spoken and written out of respect for the game and company.

HiTech & Co. not only have set new standards with Aces High gameplay but also with this bulletin board.   To enable and sustain such candid feedback is gutsy and requires incredible balance and perspective.  

Attempts like yours to help separate the wheat from the chaff are welcome interludes.  Sometimes it isn't the emperor who has no clothes -- it's the tailors.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline hinter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2004, 07:19:04 PM »
Answering to HTs argument:

1. Squads could choose a different night to fly.

I fly when time permits.
My customers wouldnt be happy if i told them i cant work for them because I need to play Aces-High NOW because my Aces-High country has low numbers.  :(

2. Squads could talk to squads in the smaller country to get them to fly the same night as they did.

Isn't that fairly hypothetical?

3. They could change countries.

If someone flys for one country for a long time he knows the people there and might not want to switch.

4. They could view things as a challange to win with lesser aircraft

Hmm - This very much depends on what you want to do. If what you want to do is already a dangerous challenge with a low eny plane then it will probably become impossible with a high eny plane!

Just as an example:

Situation:
- Enemy planes are launching heavy attacks on my countries airfield 'X' from their airfield 'Y'
- The only friendly aircraft up in the skies are defending our airfield X

My plan:
- Come in low over to the enemy base Y alone, to interrupt the wave of attacking planes by involving them in dogfights, while the friendly planes keep defending base X.
- Since I like to play as realistically as possible I also would like to survive that mission.

Problem with eny:
The only way this plan can be achieved with a 'lesser' aircraft is by flying in very high with a big E advantage and cherry picking planes from the attacking wave. (Disrupting the wave of attacking airplanes for a short time would also work coming in low alt, but chances for surviveability would be 0, no matter how good a pilot flys the lesser plane)

Coming in at high alt means that you have to climb for ages and then cherrypick - I know some people dont mind, but attacking from high altitude is not my style.

What will happen:
So I come in low with the 'lesser' aircraft (for example seafire) and attack the wave of incoming aircraft close to their base. If i am good i can maybe shoot down 2 or 3 of the 5 or 6 aircraft that now engage me, but eventually they will shoot me down since i wont be able to get out EVER with a slow plane.

Conclusion:
If only lesser aircraft are enabled, the only way to win this plan: NOT TO PLAY IT.

And this is just one example of tactics that exclusively work with low eny planes. Using a lesser plane doesnt simply make some tactics a challenge- instead it makes some tactics (especially those which are already VERY difficult&dangerous with a low eny plane) IMPOSSIBLE.

This can be very frustrating - especially for pilots who dont like to fly in hordes all the time and dont like to fly high-alt either :(

Offline klem

• Zinc Member
      • http://homepage.ntlworld.com/klem/
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2004, 04:24:56 PM »
Interesting thread (and emotions too). I fell over it whilst searching for tips to fix my AH2 frame rate dropped from max refresh of 75  in AH1 to around 40 in AH2(I am running P2.4, 512Mb RAM and 256Mb 9600XT which I bought for AH2 - that lot is about 3 x the min spec required for AH2 low level performance).

I don't think any opinion posted here is whining - it's opinion. I don't want to turn this into a 'fixes' thread but the key downers for me are lower frame rates than I would expect for good graphics on the card I have, "one-ping, no wing" damage modelling plus "dogfighting fireballs" and perhaps over-fixing the underdog aspect with ENY limits. As for increasing object hardness I really don't see the point. If a country is going down it will go down. It's not the end of the world and a reset, however disappointing, brings a refreshing new dawn (hmm getting poetic, sorry). Most of us get our enjoyment from the narrow time window we fly in - we have little control over the entire frame/reset, we take the situation we find and get on with it.

I have no probs with reducing perk costs for the losing side as it gives players a chance to fly planes they would never dream of 'buying'. Let's face it I am not going to save the world in a 262 if my skills are so poor I can't normally afford one!

But I do think there are things to adjust, particularly aircraft damage modelling. It's too arcady, primarily in cause/effect but also graphically disappointing. I think it needs to be brought to a more sophisticated and varied state. I play another sim set 'in another place', well eastern europe actually, which is harder to fly in and whose FMs and some other aspects would likely lose AH many of its followers but I think the damage modelling there would be generally the way to go.

A Tour of Duty focussed on period plane sets would reward us more historically minded simmers (I didn't claim 'good' pilot :) and it would get away from the '4 late war planes' syndrome but I expect it to create an Air Warrior type game with many in 'RR' (MA) and far fewer in 'FR' (TOD). (Look at the fallen level of support for "Squad Ops".)

I hope HT will consider all the pros and cons here - even if he discards them. We are not 'telling him how to do his job'. We are giving feedback.

Now, where's that flipping video card setup thread........

Offline roofer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2004, 08:23:15 AM »
Deleted for flame
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 01:20:48 PM by hitech »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2004, 09:24:18 AM »
Deleted for flame
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 01:19:44 PM by hitech »

Offline roofer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2004, 10:36:22 AM »
my feelings are stupid?

i thought feelings were just that, feelings?

maybe i think your reply is stupid?  but that would be a personal attack, right?

so many questions, so little time.

[clicking to play wwIIonline]

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2004, 11:37:03 AM »
Originally posted by roofer
my feelings are stupid?(10)[/size]

i thought feelings were just that, feelings?  
(11)[/size]

maybe i think your reply is stupid?  but that would be a personal attack, right?
(12)[/size]

so many questions, so little time.
(13)[/size]

[clicking to play wwIIonline]  
(14)[/size]

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2004, 04:55:42 PM »
Originally posted by sling322

So if it's a MMORPG, then it can't have graphics above the current?  Silly me:rolleyes: