Author Topic: GV's WAY too strong.  (Read 1126 times)

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2004, 03:33:31 PM »
The most unreal aspect of the whole GV vs aircraft battle is that the gunner on the GV can man his upper gun without exposing himself anymore than if he hid inside.

How many soldiers had the courage to fire their 7.9 mm peashooter back at a plane strafing them with multiple cannons?

Another big advantage GVs have is that many pilots use very poor technique attacking them.

MRPLUTO

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2004, 03:46:44 PM »
Dok.. I know you have a super secret identity you use in AH for some reason... but if you want to bust GVs with me in a IL-2 or Hurri-2D (or even a Hurri2C for that matter), you are welcome to.  

It isn't that GVs are "to hard" now.. they were just much to soft before.

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2004, 03:55:39 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
Dok.. I know you have a super secret identity you use in AH for some reason... but if you want to bust GVs with me in a IL-2 or Hurri-2D (or even a Hurri2C for that matter), you are welcome to.  

It isn't that GVs are "to hard" now.. they were just much to soft before.

OK ... I'll look for you. And, yeah, I guess the Hurri IID does in fact have AP ammo ... I just tooled around offline and saw there was no burst damage when shooting field guns.

The reason for the cloaked ID is simple ... if I fly as myself I get bombarded with questions about "when the next scenario is" or people make a big huge deal about shooting me down.  And I don't need either of the hassles. The handle I'm flying under isn't that hard to figure out ... when you see it you'll slap your forehead because it's just so obvious. And if you ask me if I'm me online I won't lie about it - its just easier to keep a low profile.

Maybe after Rangoon when everyone figures it out I'll have to switch, but for now I like the quiet.

-DoK

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2004, 10:27:30 AM »
Ive straffed over 10 turrets in one sortie with an Il2 before. Taken 3 he's from a flak and lived, and nose dived from 100ft with wing blown off and walked away. Those dam rose bushes near the farm house are laced with nitro i guess because they cause a complete vaporization of my plane if i clip a wing on one.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2004, 10:21:30 PM »
So, the obvious question is, What is the correct angle to attack from?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2004, 11:49:53 PM »
Just a word on the Tigers.
the following is a direct quote of an eyewitness acount from  Bill Mauldin's Book "Up Front"
(Bill Mauldin was the cartoonist from stars and Stripes  that tid Willie and Joe)

"Four American tank destroyers crossed the canal and bounced Armor peircing shells off the turret of a Tiger untill it turned its massive gun around and disintegrated them with 5 shells"

Tank destroyers I beleive had slightly stronger guns then even the most uber aircraft
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2004, 11:51:42 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184

Heh if Im the one in the tank.
AN angle seems to be the correct angle LOL
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2004, 02:16:42 AM »

Since the armour has been toughened up(twice actually)  50cals and 20mms are pretty much ineffective at any angle under 30~40 degrees.

Ofcourse, since usually there's like 5~6 aircraft spraying their entire ammo load when there's a single Panzer around, eventually all the 20mms and 50cals landed would knock out the engine, or detrack a Panzer. But compared to what it used to be, one may say that the tanks are pretty much safe from 30cals~20mms.

Empirically, it seems to take continued strafing of over 50 degrees angle, hitting on the top armour of a Panzer, to disable it. Anything less will most usually bounce.

In the case of the 23mms on the IL-2, it will destroy a Panzer if it dives down at 45+ angle and lands consecutive cannon hits at the roof top armour. It will disable/damage the Panzer at any angle, as long as it is not the front armour.

Same with the 40mms on the Hurri2D. High-angle roof top hits will kill a Panzer, and most other low angle shots will disable a Panzer as long as it is not facing the frontal armour.

Tigers are pretty much safe from everything except direct bomb hits. An IL-2 might detrack it or damage the engine if it continues to strafe it from the side or behind, but Hurri2D 40mms are pretty much ineffective at any angle.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2004, 04:21:41 AM »
Hmm -
So an M3 killing an Osty turret shouldn't be possible, or M16 killing Tigers.
WRONG.
The GV damage model is still hosed, was in AH1, it's worse in AH2.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2004, 08:16:15 AM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Hmm -
So an M3 killing an Osty turret shouldn't be possible, or M16 killing Tigers.
WRONG.
The GV damage model is still hosed, was in AH1, it's worse in AH2.

Actually with the case of the osty I beleive the idea is in killing all the gunners not just disabling the gun.
Thus it is possible for an m3 to knock out the main gun on an osti.

FPs on the other hand should be able to do little more then take out a track and MAYBE kill the engine(depending on angle)
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2004, 09:26:15 AM »
So should I come in from behind or from the side?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2004, 09:58:11 AM »
Coming in from behind, is always more effective than the sides.

top > rear > side > front

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2004, 10:53:59 AM »
I thin kthat if the gv is manning an exposed gun, the body of the gunner should be a damage item (and if it is the "pilot" manning the gun it should be a kill).

Offline koda76

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~dwdishman/
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2004, 02:33:36 PM »
Well lets see....yesterday  I had 2 direct hits panzer on panzer with 2 ricochets<--S?.....another friendly panzer had 3- 4 hits....an IL2 dropped all of it's bombs right on the guy and 2-3 other planes were straffing it with their cannons.
He started smoking about then. After 2 more direct hits each from me and the friendly panzer he still was shooting at me. Finally the IL2 got him with cannons.  This happens more and more....the thing that Irks me is that it never happens that I can take that kind of abuse in a panzer,M-16 or osti.....la-7 with baby bombs can blow me up first pass or a spit shoots his cannons and my turrent's dead, engines dead....next pass I'm dead. Sure takes all the fun out of it.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2004, 03:46:04 PM »
All I'm saying is that GV's are far too strong these days.

a 250kg bomb should seriosly damage a Panzer 4 when it's dropped about 30 yards from it.

In AHII, when you miss the Panzer 4 with that size bomb, if you just miss it by TEN yards, it barely scratches it. I've had this terrible experience at least a dozen times over with my P-47 runs.