Author Topic: Alright, the CON's over..can we get some news?  (Read 4556 times)

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Alright, the CON's over..can we get some news?
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2004, 08:03:30 PM »
ya lots of times.... that where everyones complaining about the "hordes"  ;)

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2004, 11:32:57 PM »
"show me another sim like Aces High that can support 700 people online ? Tell me how and where I can sign up, cause I would love to see it"

Better yet, you show me one ?

Reguarding Mr Maddox....................... ..do some homework.

I never said you stated he was a 3rd rate programmer, it was a jabb

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2004, 04:01:06 AM »
FFS GRAPHICS AND LAG HAS NOTHING IN COMMON!!!

When will people learn that graphics have no effect on lag what so ever.

Lag=Latency is the time it takes for a packet of information to get from you to the server and vice versa. It also includes the time it takes for that information to get processed on the server inorder for it to be ready to be sent out to clients again.

The information sent to server and clients has nothing to do with the graphics. It is information about the state of ingame objects and events that affect these objects.

Positions, alititudes, vectors, velocities, gun fire, gun hits, droped bombs, changes in all of the previous.

It has nothing to do with graphics.

Once the information is recieved the client renderes the graphics based on the information recieved. But note here it renders of recieved infomration, the graphics are never sent over the net.

If the client renders a 100,000 polygon or 200 polygon plane does not matter for the lag.

What increase in graphics does affect is the frames per second. This because more detailed graphics take longer times to render. Not even this is entierly true as new graphics cards dont suffer from increased polygon count anymore. The big theif is textures and loading of textures. The most costly grahpical operation is swapping textures.

So anyways... LAG HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GRAPHICS...

What causes LAG is a) bad network connection, b) bad netcode that sends tooo much information and hence choaks it self down on the band width, c) bad server code where data takes too long time to process.

Tex

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2004, 11:00:22 AM »
Originally posted by TexMurphy

yes and no...mostly yes...but...

On a slower machine that is working hard just to keep up, the low performance CAN cause SOME net-lag. This is particularly true with any TCP connection, that is why most games use UDP. Of course if packet loss becomes an issue with UDP we see that flyer lag.

Don't get me wrong, I pretty much agree with you and was thinking the same thing when I read that.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2004, 03:05:20 PM »
Originally posted by MOIL
"show me another sim like Aces High that can support 700 people online ? Tell me how and where I can sign up, cause I would love to see it"

Better yet, you show me one ?

Reguarding Mr Maddox....................... ..do some homework.

I never said you stated he was a 3rd rate programmer, it was a jabb

No .. the oness is on you to show me ... I have been on Aces High when there were 700 people online.

As far as Mr Maddox ... not worth my time ... I could care less.

As far as your jabb ... fine ... was not needed tho.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2004, 03:08:47 PM »
Originally posted by TexMurphy

When will people learn that graphics have no effect on lag what so ever.

Lag=Latency is the time it takes for a packet of information to get from you to the server and vice versa. It also includes the time it takes for that information to get processed on the server inorder for it to be ready to be sent out to clients again.

The information sent to server and clients has nothing to do with the graphics. It is information about the state of ingame objects and events that affect these objects.

Positions, alititudes, vectors, velocities, gun fire, gun hits, droped bombs, changes in all of the previous.

It has nothing to do with graphics.

Once the information is recieved the client renderes the graphics based on the information recieved. But note here it renders of recieved infomration, the graphics are never sent over the net.

If the client renders a 100,000 polygon or 200 polygon plane does not matter for the lag.

What increase in graphics does affect is the frames per second. This because more detailed graphics take longer times to render. Not even this is entierly true as new graphics cards dont suffer from increased polygon count anymore. The big theif is textures and loading of textures. The most costly grahpical operation is swapping textures.

So anyways... LAG HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GRAPHICS...

What causes LAG is a) bad network connection, b) bad netcode that sends tooo much information and hence choaks it self down on the band width, c) bad server code where data takes too long time to process.

Tex

Take it one step further ... the more data in a packet ... the more likely that the packet can lose data.

b) bad netcode that sends tooo much information and hence choaks it self down on the band width

The more graphics needed to render the objects ... the more data that needs to be sent ... see above.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2004, 06:39:13 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot

The more graphics needed to render the objects ... the more data that needs to be sent ... see above.

Why would that be so Slap ? I'm no programmer but I thought there would only be positional data/hits etc going back and forth.

Isn't that why AH is fine on a modem connection ?
I come from a land downunder

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2004, 02:53:27 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
A dive bombing B24 :)

It was impossible to determine the internal damage and the aircraft was scrapped for spare parts.

Dan/Slack

... and a life-time supply of fresh underwear was given to the entire crew. That's an amazing photo.

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2004, 02:57:12 PM »
Originally posted by Redd
Why would that be so Slap ? I'm no programmer but I thought there would only be positional data/hits etc going back and forth.

For the poly count of a model you're right, but when you look at more details, like for example bomb bay doors opening, etc...that kind of thing amounts to more traffic.  There are other examples too I'm sure.