Author Topic: Alright, the CON's over..can we get some news?  (Read 4562 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Alright, the CON's over..can we get some news?
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2004, 12:12:55 PM »
"Otherwise equalize the learning curve. How? Level the playing field by making bombing super simple once again and give all fighters the old AW "lcos" gunsight (and spins off!)

( j/k on that last part.  )"

I wasn't kidding when I brought up the same thing during Q & A.

I mean ... you know the gunnery is much harder now in AH II (wink) and I am having a heck of a time hitting anything.

Why should I go offline and practice for hours attacking the drones at every percievable angle and speed trying to hone my defection shooting skills and ACM. IT JUST TOO DAMN HARD ... I JUST CAN'T GET IT !!!

I should have the option of using the lead-computing gunsite so I don't have to work hard to achieve anything that I need to do to become a better dogfighter.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2004, 12:17:30 PM »
Here's a couple of topics from back in 2001 which represented (very well at that IMO) the problem at the time (bombers too powerfull of an effect on gameplay)

http://216.91.192.19/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3401

http://216.91.192.19/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5151&highlight=simplistic

In the meantime....

>

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2004, 12:40:27 PM »
mora,

He left out the parts about stabalizing your airspeed before calibrating (remember, fly with the bomb bay doors open for a few minutes before calibrating as they are draggy) and the part about clicking on your target on the clipboard map to set the target altitude.

If you don't set the correct target altitude your bombs will always fall short as you are default calibrated to sea level.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 12:55:09 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2004, 12:41:53 PM »
Originally posted by Muckmaw1
DoK-

I just don't get it. I log very little time anymore and never practice, yet I can log in and still calibrate and hit my target.

It's so much easier than dogfighting, I just don't understand why people cannot do it.

Not to me. And based on things I've seen on the BBS, a lot of other people who should be able to handle this are also dropping long or short and can't figure out why.

I'm sure it's something simple and obvious, but obviously for some people the instructions that exist aren't making it.

And, no, I do NOT want to go back to GPS-guided bombing from B17's hovering at 35K. The bomb patterns work nice now. It feels right.

If I could change the calibration process, it'd work something like:

- Open map, zoom in, click on target point - at any time while in flight. That sets up the drop "computer."

- As you approach target you go to the bombardier view and have the classic needle showing how close to settled the bomb sight is. The needle should have a lot of hysterisis in it, so you really need to fly level for a few minutes for it to be balls-on.

- Openning doors will upset the centering (slows plane down), as will any manouevers - so you must be in drop configuration on the way into target.

- Then drop as normal and the "computer" has calibrated automagically during the run-in while the needle "centered."

If it worked like that bombers wouldn't be too uber, they'd still need to nice level run-in, but at least you'd know that if you followed those steps you'd probably hit something.

-DoK

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2004, 12:50:41 PM »
Speaking as someone who could hit anything in WB 1&2 but cannot hit a thing in AH2 here....

A possible reason could be the target altitude setting. When you click on the target using the clip-map, it is a very imprecise thing. I always sort of wondered if I was of 1/10th of a milimeter on my screen could I be off by 10-20 feet of elevation. My eggs usually fall right next to the target (getting 'some' damage) but NEVER hit directly.

Soda gave me some pointers at the con for training myself offline by adjusting the arena settings. Like putting in a 125MPH wind that goes up, makes the climb to 20K take one minute :D he also showed me that you can set the dive-bombing crosshairs, then when you think you have the calibration set you can exit (U or Y IIRC) and check your calibration without dropping anything on anything. Thanks for the tips Soda!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2004, 01:03:20 PM »
DoKGonZo,

I don't think your idea would work.  I almost always, 98% of the time, nail my target with the current system.  With your proposed system it would drop to, maybe, 10% of the time.

Why?  Because I almost always have to manuver in the last 20 to 30 seconds before the drop.  The final course adjustment, usually 2 or 3 degrees to line up the target, comes at the very end and given the resolution limitations of the AH navigation system you're not going to be able to reliably pass over an object that is one mile square.  Particularly if, as in nearly every run I do, I am targeting a small subsection of that square mile.

In your system that final manuver would upset the targeting and I'd miss because the targeting computer wouldn't have settled in time.  With the current system you can do up to about 5 degree course change without messing up the calibration, so long as you don't climb or dive much.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Muckmaw1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2004, 01:11:18 PM »
Dok-

You can set the detonation altitiude anytime during the flight now.

I usually do it right after I take off just to have one less thing to do later.

I also use this time to set my Delay and Salvo depending on my target.

Slapshot:

Exactly what I was thinking. Nothing worth doing is easy, guys.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2004, 01:59:01 PM »
Originally posted by Icer
Too late.. NO WINGS FOR YOU MORPH!!!!!!!

:rofl

lol  

:(
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2004, 02:04:49 PM »
bombing is very easy..

kind of like driving

once you learn how to correclty ...lets say..parallel park..you can do it forever..

but for the people who dont know the corretc way to P-park..they always look liek sheite doing it..

I swear ..I will be happy to help anyone bomb..

i think the biggest thing is what Karnak says..

YOU DONT have to hold the aim point Perfectly steady the whole time!!!

just the start and end  has to be marking the same point...

the speed thing...yes consistent is a must..i was talking to CrwoMAW the other day..he said..Why not check ur e6b to see if you are at the SAME exact speed you calibrated at...Goo didea..takes a few more seconds of time..but if you are unsure great way..

I usaly only bomb in b-17s...im almost always at 200mph at 40 inches of Manifold pressure..

please feel free if u see me slaying in MA to ask for a bom run clinic

Love
BiGB
xoxo

TOD  TODTODTODTODTODTODTODTODTOD

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2004, 02:41:17 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
mora,

He left out the parts about stabalizing your airspeed before calibrating (remember, fly with the bomb bay doors open for a few minutes before calibrating as they are draggy) and the part about clicking on your target on the clipboard map to set the target altitude.

If you don't set the correct target altitude your bombs will always fall short as you are default calibrated to sea level.

Yes, I have done all those things aswell. I just flew a few bomber sorties and maybe I'm getting the hang of it. I just drop late and the accuracy is good enough.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2004, 04:52:52 PM »
Originally posted by Edbert
Speaking as someone who could hit anything in WB 1&2 but cannot hit a thing in AH2 here....

Soda gave me some pointers at the con for training myself offline by adjusting the arena settings. Like putting in a 125MPH wind that goes up, makes the climb to 20K take one minute :D he also showed me that you can set the dive-bombing crosshairs, then when you think you have the calibration set you can exit (U or Y IIRC) and check your calibration without dropping anything on anything. Thanks for the tips Soda!

Glad I could help Edbert!

Seriously though, calibration is not hard, it's just a pattern of actions that can't be rushed.  If you follow the steps you can be pretty much laser accurate without too much trouble, people just tend to wait too late and rush there calibration (or miss steps) and then scatter their bombs all over.

30 min offline with the correct arena settings and you can learn to calibrate accurately. It's that easy.

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2004, 06:51:08 PM »
Explain this...

When using my CH Gear, I can put bombs on target at 20K probably 9 out of 10 times.    I know all the steps and how to do it.

When using a first generation, gameport, Sidewinder,  Im lucky to get near the target.  

Based on my tests between a good setup and old cheap junk,  It appears that the quality of hardware has an effect on things.   Perhaps new players havent invested alot of money in controlers and are just checking out the game.   Maybe, Just Maybe,  if things were improved in this area,  it might encourage more new players to stick around.  

I also think of anyone that has a shakey hand.  Maybe its Age catching up, all those physcodelics they took, or maybe both.   Perhaps its a bit too difficult to hit that spot for them.  

My Suggestion,  two fold,  Make a Button that replaces the cross hairs on calibration,  and also leave an option to use the current setup for those that want to do it.   I dont see how this will hurt gameplay,  and maybe it will make the game fun for more people.    The only arguement that comes to mind is folks wanting to dictate how it should be for others.

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2004, 06:54:26 PM »
Originally posted by Grimm
Explain this...

When using my CH Gear, I can put bombs on target at 20K probably 9 out of 10 times.    I know all the steps and how to do it.

When using a first generation, gameport, Sidewinder,  Im lucky to get near the target.

Grimm - My guess is that you are sipping out of a coke bottle that has "mysteriously" been filled with Jack Daniels!!!!

bud!
:rofl
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline Muckmaw1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2004, 07:02:11 PM »
Originally posted by Grimm
Explain this...

Based on my tests between a good setup and old cheap junk,  It appears that the quality of hardware has an effect on things.   Perhaps new players havent invested alot of money in controlers and are just checking out the game.   Maybe, Just Maybe,  if things were improved in this area,  it might encourage more new players to stick around.  

I also think of anyone that has a shakey hand.  Maybe its Age catching up, all those physcodelics they took, or maybe both.   Perhaps its a bit too difficult to hit that spot for them.  

My Suggestion,  two fold,  Make a Button that replaces the cross hairs on calibration,  and also leave an option to use the current setup for those that want to do it.   I dont see how this will hurt gameplay,  and maybe it will make the game fun for more people.    The only arguement that comes to mind is folks wanting to dictate how it should be for others.

Sounds good.

And while we're at it, lets put a button on my fighter that gives me a gunsight that automatically corrects for the enemy planes movements. Because I'm not very good at dogfighting and I would play more and keep my subsciption if we made the aspects of the game I cannot master easier for me.

Grimm, I could not disagree more.

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2004, 07:02:17 PM »
Good Point Icer!

But I use Jack to steady my hand!!  

For the record, I did not drink any beer at the CON ( a couple glasses at Hooters)   I never drink any Mixers either.    I was just drinking Cokes.    All my Adult Beverages can from pulls right off the the JD bottle!   LOL!

"It tastes just like Candy!"   ;)