Author Topic: Multiple victory missions  (Read 3042 times)

eye

Multiple victory missions
« on: April 14, 2000, 01:05:00 AM »
I am haveing problems getting 3 or 4 kill missions. If anyone could post their tactics on how to get them it would be greatly apreciated. I fly spit mk 9 and 109's mostly.
Ammo's not usualy a problem but fuel is. Thanks

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2000, 07:31:00 AM »
If ammo is not the problem, then you should carry drop tanks. If you are confident enough to get at least 1-2 kills a mission, then you obviously just need the time at station to get kills. Set your main tanks for half to 3/4's, then climb using DT's.

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2000, 08:18:00 AM »
Hi eye.....

I see we live not far from each other.....

Multiple kills......hmmmmm.....

Well, although I'm just an mediocre virtual pilot, I usually get at least 1 kill for every 2 runs as an average, with some nights better than others.  I have had particularly great luck with triple kill runs using a P51.  I think I've had 4 four of them in last few weeks.

I follow two simple rules when flying:

1.  "Speed is Life, Altitude is Might"

...I mutter that over and over again to myself as I fly around arena

2.  I always fight an enemy on "My Terms, My Time and My Ground".

... phrase originally attributed (not verified historically) to Napoleon, but often mentioned and restated by Adolf Galland and Erich Hartmann.

...too bad Napoleon broke his own rule about "ground" when he permitted Wellington's Adjutant to pick "Waterloo" as the place of battle in 1815.  

I have found these have always worked for me and provide a foundation for maintaining good SA as well as the ability to disengage if I get in real deep ca ca.  

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Badger

eye

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2000, 12:41:00 AM »
I fought a defensive fight tonight two 2 kill missions and a 3. Made a big difference thx. How do you guys decide when its ok to attack when there's a guy higher than you? It seems i waste time alting when i could dive in ? You can see the enemy so far away here its tough to time it right.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2000, 07:43:00 AM »
IF you want to fly to live, you don't ever attack a higher enemy unless you have no other choice (ie he attacks you).

Extend if you can, grab and come back later with more alt. If not run to friends, or ack if possible.

Dicta Verm: Never engage with an advantage! Carpe Jugulum!

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
Carpe Jugulum
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2000, 08:19:00 AM »
Patience, discipline.

Badger--good formula.

Failure to assess the situation before commiting.  Knowing when to bug out and when to push the attack. Avoiding large furballs is advisable (even though they are fun).
Know the strengths and weaknesses of ALL the AC. Being a great pilot takes alot of effort. (dont get me wrong--im not one)

Then again you can have a happy mix and just have fun--depends on whats fun for you

------------------
AMMO
332nd Flying Mongrels
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2000, 12:50:00 PM »
here is a good way to learn  
.join Torque
.join Fariz
.join Citabria
.join Weazel
.dont join Dogftr  

Im going to have to heed my own advice soon and  ask to join some of these guys to learn some more.  

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2000, 12:50:00 AM »
Ammo is too modest by half! The student has long since surpassed the teacher.

Just watch that 109 stuff Ammo, Nasty planes.  

eye

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2000, 02:00:00 AM »
Thx for tips guys. Just went 50/50 tonight. Oh well fought over red territory all night. My fault. Gas always is the limiting factor. I always have too much or not enough. Flying with 100 % + drop anyone have a tip on when to drop or when to conserve fuel?

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2000, 02:12:00 AM »
Depends on what you fly. In the short legged birds you always have to go full. In a Mustang, half a tank is more than enough with full drops. You do have to be mindful of the fuel when you engage no matter what you are flying. It is a lot to think about, but that's what makes it great, eh?  

-towd_

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2000, 08:15:00 AM »
yea if you aint got avantage run like hell (coward strat) . grab a hog and point in general direction of enemy easy 3 kills.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2000, 12:13:00 AM »
Eye, I typically take 50% fuel and a drop tank in the Spit IX.  I find this allows me plenty of fuel to the target, then usually enough to mix it up, do some damage, and egress if needed.

Then again, I never really plan for a return trip, so maybe 75% would work better.  

-- Todd/DMF

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2000, 12:42:00 AM »
Don't get too concerned about your kills per sortie. I used to get fustrated that i'd see playerX got 50kills or whatever in the text buffer, but you have to realise that alot (not all - cause there are some REAL good pilots here) of those mega-kill sorties are from vultchin. This has been reduced with closable feilds. I have noticed a reduction in mega-kill sorties in the last week or so. It's pretty easy to rack up kills from vultchin feilds. Im not saying vultchin is bad. The advice above about only attacking when you have the advantage is a similar situation to vultchin (vultchin is such a bad word) You, the vultcher, have the advantage over the vultchee. Fundamentally there is little difference between you comming down from 5K to a plane thats just got up to 1K or so and the same situation plus 10k.
I'm finding, while the spit is easy to get kills in its also easy to be killed in. If you get into trouble (which happens alot more than most want to admit) you have NO option in a spit except to try out-turn em, when there's more than one your at a severe disadvantage. If you fly B&Z (boom and zoom) in a pony, 38, f4u, then if you get into the sh*te then you can at least run away and come back when you have the alt advantage again. In a spit you dont have that option.

I think someone else mentioned it - its not the kills its how many times you make it home - which translates to kills/death.
If you get 10 kills over 50 missions and dont die thats a 10:1 kill to death ratio - and thats impressive.

Some will call you a coward for running - not true, it shows experience and a survival instinct.

mY 2 cENTS

------------------
Supreme Mega-Overlord Spatula

"...perfect for serving"

=357th Pony Express=

[This message has been edited by Spatula (edited 04-17-2000).]
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2000, 01:03:00 AM »

Originally posted by Spatula:
Some will call you a coward for running - not true, it shows experience and a survival instinct.

Nonsense.  The only thing it shows is that you fly to live... you indeed have a "survival instinct."  It has nothing to do with experience.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing those who fly to live.  If that's how you get the most enjoyment out of Aces High, then more power to ya.  However, for some experience teaches us that flying to live only matters in real life.  Since this isn't real life, flying to have *fun* matters more.  If flying to live *is* fun to you, then knock yourself out.    The key is really to find out what makes you happy and to do it.

-- Todd/DMF

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2000, 10:36:00 AM »

Originally posted by Dead Man Flying:
Nonsense.  The only thing it shows is that you fly to live... -- Todd/DMF

It shows expirience. If someone in the bad situation turns away that means he will be tough when/if you will catch him.

Fariz