Author Topic: Why the CT blows chunks...  (Read 5394 times)

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Why the CT blows chunks...
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2004, 06:48:10 PM »
hit a soft spot?

Yeah lets get this back on track.  
"The CT blows chunks"

...and yes Bear, You will never miss the CT again....never said anything about any other arenas :rolleyes:  Im glad I was to make you go re-read some posts.  Thenks for you time:rofl
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 06:52:11 PM by CurtissP-6EHawk »

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2004, 07:43:43 PM »
I've seriously never seen the big deal over the graphics.  The only thing I like better about IL-2 graphics is the way the plane damage looks.  I think it looks really cool and I'd love to have something like that here...

As far as the undamaged planes go... personally I think most of the planes in AH2 look every bit as good as the ones in IL-2.  

The terrain does seem to look a bit better in IL-2 though, but then again the terrain in AH2 is still a "work in progress".  

Gameplay now, that is a different story but HTC has no control over it.  

For a long time I heard the CT was "different" from the MA... I never really bought into it.  It is the same behaviour with much lower numbers, if that makes it "different" then OK, but I never saw it that way.  

You CT "regulars" (at least I assume the people in there are regulars, at least some of them) might get offended, I don't know and I don't particularly care... I just try to call it like I see it.  

I could never tell the difference between a CT "regular" and someone who had just popped in for a sortie or two.  I'm sure both would jump into a X on 1 to "help", haul bellybutton to ack, etc, all the dweeby crap I hate about the MA.  

Maybe I'm "elitist" (I personally don't think so)... but the pilot quality wasn't really any higher than the MA.  Perhaps you all thought differently because you fought the same people day in and day out and sort of recalibrated your "scale" so to speak, I don't know.  There was typically a little more running and overall timidity in the CT, perhaps that speaks of greater experience, again I don't know.  I say perhaps that indicates greater experience generally because only two types of people will fight an "uneven" fight... people who really like to fight, or people who don't know any better.. typically the ones who don't know any better learn to run at the first opportunity after a couple weeks.

Anyway, I'm kind of rambling here I guess, but I'll try to make one more "point" (if you can call it that) before I cut myself off.  If the CT prides itself on being "better" than the MA... you guys are in for a rough time.  Overall, the average skill of people playing this game has dropped precipitously in the 3 years I've been here.. this seems to be true for the MA and CT.  So even if you guys go on a "numbers" jag to get more numbers... you aren't going to get any better competition out of it.  It'll basically be gameplay to the LCD.. whoever is the worst will set the tone for the behaviour in the arena.  

Maybe you all outta just advertise as a limited/rolling plane set type arena and see if that works out, rather than touting the "higher skill level" stuff.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2004, 10:20:53 PM »
Originally posted by CurtissP-6EHawk
hit a soft spot?

Yeah lets get this back on track.  
"The CT blows chunks"

...and yes Bear, You will never miss the CT again....never said anything about any other arenas :rolleyes:  Im glad I was to make you go re-read some posts.  Thenks for you time:rofl

Can you translate please? Only soft spot seems to be on top of your head. You don't fly here anymore so leave or did you burn all your bridges in IL2 already.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2004, 11:04:20 PM »
Urchin,

I for one never said the CT was "elite", but I could see a difference in the average skill level from the MA, thats all I said. To guys like you, Levi, and Shane I believe we all look the same, but I could tell I had to work a lot harder for kills in the CT than the MA, nothing more nothing less, which by no means made it an elite arena. The REALLY good guys virtually always flew the MA, though you all came to the CT on occasion, and I for one liked it. I always learned something which is the whole point of fighting someone better than you.

Hawk,

I tried IL-2, and it was not bad, but I was not overwhelmed either, and I did not find it hard to fly in the least. Like Redd, I also did not like the view system, and like Urchin I did not find the graphics all THAT much better, especially after the new planes and the 1024 skins AH added. The new B-24 is stunning.

Regardless what I think of IL2/PF I dont find it necessary to go to their BBS and tell them how much better AH is because its MMOL, thats just bad form.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2004, 12:18:48 AM »
isn't that the game where poepl who can't handle ACM go to feel better about themselves?
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2004, 08:55:24 AM »
Hawk we've kept your ack chair maintained and polished.. Just let us know when your ready to return  :D

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2004, 09:51:18 AM »
I find it amazing that the ones crying that the CT "blows chunks" ARE the main reason it has lost its popularity

no one wants to be B&Z by the 262 nor do they want to hear some twit tell them how poor they fly on channel one
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2004, 01:45:11 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
no one wants to be B&Z by the 262 nor do they want to hear some twit tell them how poor they fly on channel one

Roger that.

btw, going up against you in your 109F, Eagler,  is one of a handful things I'll really miss about AH.  

Splash1

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2004, 02:01:23 PM »
Wow....

Would of thought this thread died lonag ago....

Since I "started it" let me put it in it's proper perspective. When I said the CT "blows chunks" I'm comparing it's current state to what it was...ans should be.

Back when I was a trainer in AH there was a type of "natural progression". The MA was usually in the 150-250 range and although not as bad as the current reality still favored "SA" based "survival flying". So....as a babyseal progressed finding "real" fights inevitably led to the CT which not only had better pilots but ones very open and interested in both 1 on 1 or "small group" fights. As a rule the "3rd guy in"....didnt. And if it was 3 on 6 guys switched. And when you saw a guy rolling you told him to grab a bit of alt and "call the fight". And when you were lucky enough to get 30 guys on....no one immediately porked the fields.

This has nothing to due with the merits or drawbacks of any other arena in AH or any other game. Truthfully I've flown IL-2 and the talent level/game play doesnt stack up (At least not yet).

I'd hate to see the CT disappear, but I think it needs to be reworked to provide a different feel. It shouldnt be limited planeset version of the MA.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2004, 02:15:35 PM »
Originally posted by humble
I'd hate to see the CT disappear, but I think it needs to be reworked to provide a different feel. It shouldnt be limited planeset version of the MA.

What would you change?

- oldman

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2004, 03:28:16 PM »
How about a campaign type CT. Start off early war and end with late war senario. During that time switch between PTO ETO but keep the timeline in order.

Offline plank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2004, 05:14:19 PM »
I always thought doing a rolling planeset would be nice, without keeping the older 'phased out' planes in the set though, never liked that about warbirds.

I don't mind the way it's set up now, mind you, but it would be interesting to see how that played out. Unless it's been done and no one liked it

edited for poor spelling :p

storch

« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2004, 05:15:27 PM »
Originally posted by jamusta
How about a campaign type CT. Start off early war and end with late war senario. During that time switch between PTO ETO but keep the timeline in order.

I suggested that and think it is a reasonable way to utilize the limited maps we have in a way that would be appealing to all six of us.  you could alternate between ETO, MTO and PTO the first three weeks and progress to the end of the conflict.  Was that your suggestion?  and BTW what are u doing at my mom's house anyway?

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2004, 06:39:26 PM »
How about a campaign type CT.

That's how the CT started out. I am not sure how many of you have gone back and read some of the first posts in this forum but what the CT is today isn't what it started out as...

In one of the first threads this was pointed out:

If we make everything possible in the CA (as the CT was commonly referred to at the time) that is possible in the MA, then we simply have 2 MA's.

The CT has been just a mini-main for some time. Since 'base capture' became a standard setting that's what you see, mini-main.

For well over a year it was nothing but fighting...

Some of you nachwuchs who have only seen Urchin's 'whine posts' his first post in the CT forum was entitled:

''Awesome Fights tonight! My first AAR".

Its come a long way since then and not for the good...

The first line of one of my first post in the CT forum dated (08-14-2001) was in reply to a question was if field capture was enabled in the CT:

I hope field capture never comes to the CT.

The old saying that ''base capture helps to facilitate the fight" is true but only when the number of players can support it. As is, the maps are so large, even at 256 x 256, in an arena with 50 players the majority are off in separate corners pre-occuppied with capturing 'undefended bases. Out of those 50 players 10 maybe 'fighting' and then those numbers are split 7 ot 3.

Hell there wasn't scores kept for the CT.

The first mission run in the CT was by Funked called  'Circus One - Wafflebait'.

The only map we had was the crappy large Norway map. Later the first bug ridden "European map' was enabled.

Here was the first setup for on that ap:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35230

Why the CT blows chunks is because its just a mini-main with limited aircraft and less players. A lot of that falls directly on some of the ex-CT Cms who thought that by making the CT more main like it would attract more players. Most of these CMs quit shortly after or went into 'stand by status'. None of their changes brought in more players. They simply displaced the old players with new ones with no appreciable increase in overall player numbers. The large spikes in numbers have only come with new and better maps.

As the plane set begins to fill out (like the addition of the p38g) the potential is there to expand the numbers in the CT. But that won't happen as long as the CT remains nothing more then a mini-main. It can fill the gap between th 'anything goes' main arena play and the more structured ToD / Scenario play.

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2004, 07:28:46 PM »
Originally posted by storch
I suggested that and think it is a reasonable way to utilize the limited maps we have in a way that would be appealing to all six of us.  you could alternate between ETO, MTO and PTO the first three weeks and progress to the end of the conflict.  Was that your suggestion?  and BTW what are u doing at my mom's house anyway?

Yes storch that sounds like what I am trying to say.

I went to your moms house to tell her you have been bad.