Author Topic: Battle of the Coral Sea  (Read 6822 times)

Offline SilverFox

• Nickel Member
Battle of the Coral Sea
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2004, 07:59:49 PM »
I've run several Carrier v. Carrier events over the past year and a half, and would love to see what a larger event could draw in.  
-Sik

Sir, if you like Carrier vs Carrier, your gonna love this one.  I'm a career Carrier sailor.   Even been to the South Pacific on... get this... USS Coral Sea  CV-43.  And I wrote this scenario with real Carrier operations in mind.  They turn into the wind to launch, just as every Carrier since the Langley has done.

SF

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Battle of the Coral Sea
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2004, 08:30:06 PM »
Carrier battles would be a blast, especially if the element of trying to find the carriers can be effectively worked in.  I played in a snapshot 1-shot event of carrier vs. carrier.  That was very fun, and a scenario of it would be even better.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Battle of the Coral Sea
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2004, 09:04:06 PM »
If you remember the Pearl Harbor events in AW, then you remember the stationary carriers, that would "move" by having 3 locations to chose from.

Large maps with moving carriers that need multiple frames to get into the main attack position without being found, well, that just causes all sorts of reactions.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Battle of the Coral Sea
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2004, 11:12:34 PM »
Originally posted by Brooke
Carrier battles would be a blast, especially if the element of trying to find the carriers can be effectively worked in.  I played in a snapshot 1-shot event of carrier vs. carrier.  That was very fun, and a scenario of it would be even better.

Funny you should mention that Brooke. I have a Coral Sea Scenario about 80% done, that included two scouting frames. But I tossed it, believing that there wouldn't be enough interest in flying around looking for ships.

But I do have a plan for it :) If and when this thing gets wheels, I'll work with Silverfox on it. As a Navy Man, I'm sure he's got a place in his heart for MARPAT lol.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Battle of the Coral Sea
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2004, 01:31:00 AM »
Can count on me anytime to support a Pearl Harbor scenario.  I'll be glad to help with any of the others as well, but that one is always gonna be #1 for me.  Esp. after flying the Japanese invasion route myself and checking off the landmarks to line up with the harbor .............

I flew it in AW and had a blast every time, AH could only make it better with carriers that really move.

Offline SilverFox

• Nickel Member
Battle of the Coral Sea
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2004, 07:17:00 AM »
Pearl was my very first scenario.  I flew with B17 and Dawn, after finally taking the plunge to try it.

We were in Kates, and as we dropped down out of the sky above Hickam enroute to Battleship row, my heart skipped a beat.  I had never in my gaming life seen so much flak.  We had practiced relentlessly.  I made it through, leveled off at 150 ft dropped flaps let my fish go.  My hands were so sweaty I had to wipe them on my pants.  Just before my dishonorable death, I saw "Ship Destroyed"   I was hooked! forevermore, on scenarios.

==============
Coral Sea

Sik, while Coral Sea was famous for the Carrier battles, the underlying premise was the impending Japanese invation of Port Moresby.  That, I have built in so that what the allies realy have to do is exactly what RAdm Fletcher's orders were.  Stop that invasion.

SF

Semper Fi !
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 07:19:13 AM by SilverFox »

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Battle of the Coral Sea
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2004, 07:48:37 AM »
Unfortunately, thats the BIGGEST reason I don't want to do scenarios anymore.

Originally posted by Sikboy
(don't get me started on my guys getting worked over in Kurland lol).
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
Battle of the Coral Sea
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2004, 11:15:25 AM »
Originally posted by ghostdancer

Kursk: Personally I am not a fan of GVs at all in scenarios but some are so since we have the T34 thought this major battle would be the one too look at. Others thought the Battle of the Bulge but not a lot of air component to that one.

I agree that we need more GVs and more Russian planes. Then again we are looking at setting the scenarios for 2005 .. so we can hope that midway through or at the end we have more Russian planes.

FWIW, the Kursk series of events I ran were generally considered to be the most fun of all (and, no, there were no GV's involved). That's kind of why I'm planning Donjetsfront for next year - even with the current planeset. My designs aren't as focused on precisely accurate plane-v-plane match-ups as recreating the operational environment, so subbing a Yak-9U for a Yak-1 is within limits. Technical differences can be made up for in jiggling the odds and flight parameters.

But I will be keeping an eye on how many people sign up for the next few events. If numbers continue to dwindle it may not be worth the time, effort, and money needed to try to put on a truely large-scale (300+ player, 8-frame) event with prizes and souvenirs and all that cool stuff. And, frankly, I have little interest in running anything less than that.

In all my years doing events in AW and WB, the only reason I ever heard for people "swearing off" scenarios was that it was too much flying time for not enough shooting - they wanted the quick fix of the MA. There is clearly something else going on with AH scenarios.

And there's the paradox. You have all this moaning about how crappy the MA has become, yet no one shows up for scenarios - which can provide big furballs, great team spirit, and a generally balanced chance to win.

Offline SilverFox

• Nickel Member
Battle of the Coral Sea
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2004, 11:48:06 AM »
I too would like to see greater participation with 300+ registered and 6 Frames.

Coral Sea is designed for 120 because that's what we are seeing right now.  However, it is scaleable to 250 without a design modification.  Just an increase in squadron size.

Personally, I'd rather see 120 registered players who would actually show up.

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
Battle of the Coral Sea
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2004, 12:17:12 PM »
Originally posted by SilverFox

Personally, I'd rather see 120 registered players who would actually show up.

Amen.

Email me if you wanna discuss a pre-event promo movie. A task force with several CV's would be kinda cool on film.

Offline SilverFox

• Nickel Member
Battle of the Coral Sea
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2004, 12:25:50 PM »
Not official yet Dok.   Possibility that it won't even be a go.  Depends on some decision making that's going on.

However, :D , I will gladly take you up on that if we get a green light.  Now, TF-17 all together woud be a "sight to see."

SF

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
Battle of the Coral Sea
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2004, 12:34:22 PM »
Originally posted by SilverFox
Not official yet Dok.   Possibility that it won't even be a go.  Depends on some decision making that's going on.

However, :D , I will gladly take you up on that if we get a green light.  Now, TF-17 all together woud be a "sight to see."

SF

There's also a lot of "what if" events which can be interesting. In the CV domain, there's the hypothetical of if the Germans went ahead and got a battle carrier build and deployed in the North Atlantic. Lots of interesting possibilities.

But I digress ...

Offline SilverFox

• Nickel Member
Battle of the Coral Sea
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2004, 02:29:25 PM »
:lol    I can see the title now...

Das FlacheOberseite
The FlatTop

;)

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Battle of the Coral Sea
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2004, 04:42:58 PM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo

In all my years doing events in AW and WB, the only reason I ever heard for people "swearing off" scenarios was that it was too much flying time for not enough shooting - they wanted the quick fix of the MA. There is clearly something else going on with AH scenarios.

The Same things that you saw in Rangoon are what usually keep me away from Scenarios. You sit down and come up with a plan, you put down some rules, and you go get some players.

Then the **** hits the fan, players whine about how the rules are set against them (and who knows, maybe in some cases they are), then people cant even be bothered to play within the established rules, and there's more whining.

Frankly it just seems like a long run for a short slide. I cannot imagine the patience that you and the Scenario CMs must have to deal with this crap. While I'm  a huge fan of events, Scenarios start to become too much like work, and a lot less like fun. If it wasn't for the Weekley events, I'm sure I would be more interested in Scenarios.  

This is all rather funny, considering you're scenarios were the big reason I bought the SVGA Airwarrior Box (Yes, I was one of the 1,000 dweebs).

We had an "Alternate History" Event running for about 2 years. It was derailed when we Came over to AHII, and lost the terrain base that we had, but in the CAP event, there was a frame or two with the Graff Zepplin. It's amazing how easy it is to land a Stuka on a CV lol.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Battle of the Coral Sea
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2004, 12:37:40 AM »
Originally posted by ghostdancer
c. Big Week (Germans vs U.S. - 8th Air Force bombing campaign)
For that one, I’d like to become part of the CM team.  As ramzey points out, 8th Air Force Bomber campaigns are always fun and Wotan is right, it would bring the numbers.  Done right, and soon enough, the next one would benefit from the interest generated.

I’m partial to the A6m2, even with it BB guns, or the 109g2, so I’m in with either of those.  Any m2s in Coral Sea or Midway? :)
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001