Author Topic: Starting some very basic help pages  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Starting some very basic help pages
« on: April 24, 2000, 11:30:00 AM »
Hey all!
  I have started some very basic help pages and have the first one up.  I hope that this will help some new pilots in getting things going.  There will be more to follow and I will update these thread as I go  
 www.reddragons.de/aceshigh/help.htm

S!
Rocket

------------------

The Red Dragons
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

www.reddragons.de

[This message has been edited by Rocket (edited 04-24-2000).]

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2000, 12:07:00 PM »
I think it is very nice! Feel free to add this info (being written for compilation for the training site):

http://www.hpcisp.com/~kieren/radio.htm

and

http://www.hpcisp.com/~kieren/kneepad.htm

Great Work!

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2000, 01:33:00 PM »
Very nice Rocket

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2000, 07:50:00 PM »
Thanks guys!
  Hearing you guys say that means alot to me  
Kieren if it is ok I will format those pages on our website or would you prefer just links?  I have a test page of the kneeboard up and running with full credit for you Kieren if you approve it duplicated on our site.  Working on saving the format you used on the radio on while fitting it in with our format.  Both will have full credit for you and I can set the links to the AH trainers pages when they are finished  

Also 2 more pages up.
How to avoid a HO. www.reddragons.de/aceshigh/tactics1.htm
and SA www.raddragons.de/aceshigh/tactics2.htm

S!
Rocket

------------------

The Red Dragons
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

www.reddragons.de

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2000, 08:18:00 PM »
Use those pages anyway you wish, and if you want help on any others, tell me what you need. If I were you I would format them to be consistent with the look I'd selected for my site.

And don't worry one second about credit to me, that isn't why I did them.  

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2000, 01:30:00 AM »
<punt>
Hopefully will have time to do up a couple of more quick start help pages in the next few days.  If there is anything to help someone new out throw a post up and I will try to get it up  

S!
Rocket

------------------

The Red Dragons
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

www.reddragons.de

[This message has been edited by Rocket (edited 05-04-2000).]

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2000, 02:20:00 PM »
Just to say for me as a newbie Rocket, this is great info.
Thanks

Lethrnek

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2000, 04:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips Rocket.  Can you give us more on what or how to get the 8-way hats to work.  I can only get mine to work 4 ways.  Also, I have to confess that as an old FA pilot, I got used to using padlock as the bogie tried to evade and I am having a lot of trouble keeping the con in my field of vision.  Any suggestions?

Lethrnek
VMA111 Devil Dogs

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2000, 11:20:00 PM »
Sparks tks!  

Lethr,
  You hit on my next page I think.  The basics on custom stick mapping and keymapping.  I hope to have it done this weekend as long as the aaa in the house from the other half doesn't get too bad  
   Currently I am at work on a 486 so I can't fire up AH to give ya a step by step on the 8way but I believe the stock setup is for a 4-way hat.  You need to bring up the clipboard with esc. , then goto setup and click on the stickmapping.  Once there click on the views button on the lower left side.   This will show what is assigned for the views currently.  Click on the hat position you want , then on the view you want for it, then click on assign key.  (remember at the moment off the top of my head) I personally assigned for my hat up numpad 5 and numpad 8.  This gives me up angle view for pressing the hat up.  Using the numpad 5 along with the use of the hat allows for all the up angle views and the numpad 0 for all the down angle views. This will give you 20+ angles to view from.  With a little practice you won't want to go back using padlock.  

I will set the next help page up on our site with information and pictures showing the step by step setup of the joystick and keymapping features to make the game more user functional and hopefully let you worry less about finding the keys you use all the time and let you worry more about the guy on your six  

NOTE DISCLAIMER:  I am not on the AH training staff.  I just want to help make it easier for the new pilot, whether a first time sim pilot or from another sim, to be able to enjoy the game and hopefully stick with us  

S!
Rocket

------------------

The Red Dragons
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

www.reddragons.de

funked

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2000, 05:58:00 AM »
Thanks guys!

Lethrnek

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2000, 09:06:00 PM »
Thanks Rocket...Seems simple enough even for an aging Jarhead to figure out, LOL.  I might wait for your next help page though just to be safe.  Hurry and get your puter  so I can fly with you.  I heard that a guy can join a fighter and just be a passenger.  Should be a helpful tool to study other sticks ACM styles.  Right now, my biggest worry is my 6!!!!

air_spro

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2000, 09:57:00 PM »
Lethrnek : I feel for ya about the views guy . This is how I learned them . I know this may sound funny but no drones in this game to practice on so what the hey .

I downloaded WarBirds 2.75 , they have the same basic setup for both games . The use air attack to practice your views as you always start above the bandits , saves ya a lot of time learning them .  To start I just did what I read about real paddock on combatsim . They would roll the plane into the ( what is that word ? ), on the key board will be number pads 5 , then 8+5 , 5+2 . Then just loop till you have the bogie in your sites . When the bogie goes by ya most time they will first show up in the 5 key , then might get to your high six 5+2 , then if you can out loop him 5 key then 8+5 . etc . After that start using more 45 deg. views 7+5 to 4+5 to 1+5 as you turn around bandit that is below you , as you are in about a 45 deg. bank to ground .

Like Rocket says in time it gets much easier . gl  spro

------------------
air_rules = Play fair ....Don't worry about points......Keep a sense of humor......Drink Jim Beam......and don't let the fediddlein cat walk on the keyboard.......!!!

air_squadron

[This message has been edited by air_spro (edited 05-05-2000).]

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2000, 10:54:00 PM »
Ok the next page is up with some basics of joystick mapping. http://www.reddragons.de/aceshigh/help5.htm

I hope that this helps.  If you find it imcomplete let know what more ya need there and be glad to put it up.  My stick config file is on there for those that want a quick setup for Microsoft sticks  

S!
Rocket

------------------

The Red Dragons
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

www.reddragons.de

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2000, 03:52:00 PM »
Ok finally got them all linked on one page  
 http://www.reddragons.de/aceshigh/tactical

This has all the topics there.  I hope that it helps alittle bit in getting used to the game so it doesn't scare off possible new pilots  

<shameless plug> The Red Dragons are always looking for pilots of good attitude and any skill level   </shameless plug>

p.s. Ronni if you read this thread any chance of getting it on the links page?

S!
Rocket

------------------

The Red Dragons
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

www.reddragons.de

[This message has been edited by Rocket (edited 05-09-2000).]

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2000, 04:09:00 PM »
Rocket-

If you like, I can link you to the Jokers' page. Would you like?