Author Topic: UN official slams U.S. tsunami aid as 'stingy'...  (Read 5328 times)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
UN official slams U.S. tsunami aid as 'stingy'...
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2004, 03:09:13 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
The UN has outlived its usefulness just like Unions...as Jay said above, it needs to be rebuilt bottom up. The UN is a joke.

UN is a joke only seems popular since Bush's confrintation with them over Iraq. Ever since then it seems popular amongst Bush supporters to slag the UN which they probably no very little about other then following what Bush and Fox have to say of course.

....-Gixer

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2004, 03:13:49 PM »
Nope. Lots of folks think the UN has been a major joke since  long before Bosnia.

It's just an old joke now.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2004, 03:30:49 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
UN is a joke only seems popular since Bush's confrintation with them over Iraq. Ever since then it seems popular amongst Bush supporters to slag the UN which they probably no very little about other then following what Bush and Fox have to say of course.

....-Gixer

I don't know about that gixer.  I've been seeing "get US out of the UN" signs since I was a boy, 40 or so years ago.  There has always been an anti-UN movement in the US, for good reasons IMO.

The UN has only taken from the US, and never provided anything in the way of assistance.  Where was the UN during the hurricanes last year?

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2004, 03:46:11 PM »
The U.S. needs to send over about a million canteens with a month's supply of chlorine tablets.  Anything else will not prevent deaths.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2004, 03:47:14 PM »
I fail to see why any nation is providing econmic aid, India, Indonesia and Thailand all have plenty of $$$$.

If India has enough money for a nuke program....

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2004, 03:48:24 PM »
Originally posted by SunTracker
The U.S. needs to send over about a million canteens with a month's supply of chlorine tablets.  Anything else will not prevent deaths.

Considering proximity & cost of manufacturing, wouldn't it be cheaper & faster for, say, China to send over 1 million canteens? Maybe their team of experts will reccomend it.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2004, 03:50:35 PM »
Originally posted by indy007
Considering proximity & cost of manufacturing, wouldn't it be cheaper & faster for, say, China to send over 1 million canteens? Maybe their team of experts will reccomend it.

China?  :lol

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2004, 03:53:34 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
You acusing Jan Egeland of skimming? Give me a link.

No were accusing him of being a pompous moron, but then that would cover most of the U.N.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2004, 03:57:24 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
China?  :lol

Karaya

I really wish sarcasm carried better over text :)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2004, 04:01:20 PM »
Here is  a thought:
Let's stop counting, stop fighting about stinginess, and start writing checks?

We wrote a check to the Red Cross today.

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2004, 04:58:32 PM »
yep.. more than 60 000 dead so far...
I am a spy!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2004, 05:04:17 PM »
The U.S. currently foots about 1/4 of the U.N.'s costs. Additionally the U.S. provides billions a year in funding foreign releif organizations. Added to this the U.S. funds it's own foreign releif organizations for releiving foreign countries releif organizations. There is quite a bit of funding in play for disasters just like this at all times.

I think I've paid enough taxes for this year. Come 01/01/2005 my pockets get picked again to pay for the $Billions not "APPLAUDED" by the world press the U.S. has already put into play since 01/01/2004.

I am a card carrying member of the worlds most dispised class. The U.S. middle class. The tax paying base that makes it possible for the rest of the world to say we aren't paying enough. By all means those who are suffering in this moment of need should be helped. But we Americans have paid enough.

WHAT YOU SEE IN THE MEDIA IS COSMETIC. NO OTHER COUNTRY GIVES THE BILLIONS A YEAR THE UNITED STATES DOES EACH AND EVERY YEAR BEHIND THE SCEANS.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline -MZ-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2004, 05:10:58 PM »
We will barrow all the aid money we can from China and Japan.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2004, 07:27:36 PM »
Jan Egeland suggested that the United States and other Western nations were being "stingy" with relief funds, saying there would be more available if taxes were raised.

I love the part about raising taxes so more money could be spent on foriegn aid. What a jackarse.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2004, 07:32:23 PM »
LOL, look at this gem from the same article:

he said, adding that politicians in the United States and Europe "believe that they are really burdening the taxpayers too much, and the taxpayers want to give less. It's not true. They want to give more."

What a moron. No wonder some European countries love to  tax the hell out of their people.