Author Topic: stalls n blackouts  (Read 567 times)

M@vaerik

stalls n blackouts
« on: January 24, 2000, 11:13:00 AM »
Hi all call me stupid (you probably will!) but can you disable the stall and blackout feature plus if you cant how do you avoid it in a dogfight situation? your sane comments would be appreciated ta a very frustrated limey bloke :-) M@verik

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
stalls n blackouts
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2000, 11:48:00 AM »
Hi Maverick.

I will try to put this as gently as possible  

In simple terms.... NO!!

These cannot be turned off, because it would give you an advantage over the pilots in the arena.

Blackouts and Redouts are a result of pulling too many "G's". This is basically the force a pilot feels (and its results on the human body) when he performs certain manuevers.

Think of this like what you feel when you get pinned back in your seat when your car accelerates very fast, or how you are thrown into your seatbelt when you brake very fast. Or rollercoasters are another way to imagine it.  However realize that in an aircraft the effect is magnified by many times, because of how fast you are going.

The way to minize these effects in the game is to make sure you go easy on the joystick when you perform a turn or other manuever. You should also realize that the faster your plane is going, the easier it is to blackout or redout.

So go easy on the stick. Ease it from position to position, and don't just yank it back and forth.

Hope that helps.  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure,
Dicta Verm: "Never give the suckers an even break!" or translated "Never engage without an advantage"

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
stalls n blackouts
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2000, 12:19:00 PM »
Or you could fly straight and level, that'd be nice for us   <G>

Be gentle with the stick (you do have a joystick right ? Not a joypad...). Be aware that the fastest you go , the smaller turn you have to turn to get in a blackout...

There is no way to remove these effects, I was surprised at first, but got used to it with time...so will you.

------------------
Saint
DCO 186th Wardogs (Falcon4 Squad)
 http://www.wardogs.org/
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
stalls n blackouts
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2000, 12:40:00 PM »
Most importantly... keep your speed up.  These WWII birds don't have much thrust to work with, so you need to spend some time climbing to altitude before you get into the action to give yourself something to work with.  Once you have some air under your wings, you can get some speed back by pointing the nose down and diving.  Try to keep these birds over 200 MPH for best performance.  Be gentle on the stick, and watch that G meter.  Practice doing aerobatics with no more than 3-4 G's on the meter, this will help.

It takes practice, but it is very rewarding when you get it down.  Take your time and be smooth.

------------------
Lephturn
The Flying Pigs

JENG

stalls n blackouts
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2000, 04:04:00 PM »
And be patient... we all had to learn it the hard way... ie getting shot down alot  

And try to find someone experienced to teach you the ropes... just go to the arena and ask... many good folks around that are willing to teach you...  

Seeya in the virtual skies

Bee
Nemo impune lacessit

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
stalls n blackouts
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2000, 05:22:00 PM »
One more tip for you, to improve turn performance and help prevent stalls, let gravity help you.
For example, if making a sharp lead turn on a bogey and you have an altitude advantage, dip your nose a little.  Another very effective way to turn is vertical manuvering.  If you have plenty of speed and want to reverse on an opponent, pull up into the vertical and perform a half loop.  At the top of the loop, roll level (usually a left roll is best, because prop torque will help you at low airspeeds).

The main piece of advise I can give you is pick up a copy of "Fighter Combat: Tactics and Manuvering" by Robert Shaw.  This book tells you everything you need to know and more.
It can be found for about US $30.  (Just putting it next to me improved my K/D.   )