Author Topic: Which sound pack  (Read 747 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Which sound pack
« on: January 12, 2005, 10:26:39 PM »
For those who have installed the sound packs, which one is the best for the bad-arse-kick-you-back sounds?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
Which sound pack
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 11:21:27 PM »
Well, I think all of us "pack makers" are biased toward our own creations...

...However, if you want a complete, easy-to-install pack, go with Waffle's latest version.

If you could care less about realism, go with Mitsu's (though not all realistic, they're excellent sounds).

If you want dedicated, true-to-life sounds, go with mine. I only release two packs at a time, though, because it takes a while to gather enough source material to make a pack for a single plane.

You could always just mix the three together to create a bastardized pack, but being one for realism, I wouldn't personally advocate that. Go with whichever one you like best... Test them all, I say.

Offline Sp4de

• Silver Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/decommissisoned1/
Which sound pack
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 11:44:35 PM »
Originally posted by Fruda
Well, I think all of us "pack makers" are biased toward our own creations...

...However, if you want a complete, easy-to-install pack, go with Waffle's latest version.

If you could care less about realism, go with Mitsu's (though not all realistic, they're excellent sounds).

If you want dedicated, true-to-life sounds, go with mine. I only release two packs at a time, though, because it takes a while to gather enough source material to make a pack for a single plane.

You could always just mix the three together to create a bastardized pack, but being one for realism, I wouldn't personally advocate that. Go with whichever one you like best... Test them all, I say.

Waffle is gonna freak when he reads this:lol

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Which sound pack
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 12:34:52 AM »
But mixing up the favorites is really the only way to go.

I use Waffle's for base sounds, and then "rearrange" or "re-edit" the sounds I don't like. I also use my own gun sounds which I've created myself. It's pretty good, if I do say so myself.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Which sound pack
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 01:38:48 AM »
Give the info - folks can make thier choices :) lol

In any flight sim I've played that had the P-38, they never sounded as good as the sounds you just put out. They sounded so good that I found myself taking some hops just to hear the engine purr. - AKAK on the p38 sound in Wafflesounds 3.2

Great update Waffle, Love the new Tiffy engine. Old one was a bit boring. This new one rocks...Thanks for all your efforts. - SFCHONDO

Supoib (superb for those of you who don't watch the Three Stooges)!  Love the engine sounds, man. Hell, I love pretty much all of them! - FRUDA

WAFFLESOUNDS VERSION 3.2 Readme

Critical Fixes: Found some files that were sampled at higher rates and bit depths, Which were capable of creating small lags or pauses when the file was played. These includes some stall sounds as well as some wind noises.

Also simplified the files some. This resulted in getting the soundpack under 200MB unzipped.

NOTE: This version will be going back to being used with sounds levels set at default. The best way to accomplish this -
is after installing the soundpack, open you AcesHigh II/Settings folder and delete the "sounds.cfg" file. This will reset all levels to 80. I will post a few tweaks on the website, but when you get in game, would reccommed setting EXTERNAL PLANE
ENGINE sound to 100.

Fixes and Changes in WAFFLESOUNDS 3.2:

New stereo Effects: Warnings and check 6's are now in stereo as well as some damage effects.

All country specific check6s have been removed. (there is a folder labeled "zSixcalls" which contains various check6s.
You can insert these into different planes folders as you see fit. You will have to change the name from the description to
check6.wav

There are now 3 warnings available to choose from. Just have to rename them to warning.wav instead of warning(1).wav

Shortened and reedited some of the explosion sounds, and added a new one for GVs.

Added a "zBomberExplosions" folder which contains explosion files to be inserted into heavy bombers if you do a lot of level bombing.
These files are the low thundering explosions you would hear from a distance. (reccomended insertion into b17,b24,b26,ki67,ju88. lanc folder)

There's also a "zDamagesounds" folder if you would like to change some of the damage sounds. The pack comes with these already inserted
into some of the different plane folders.

PLANES and VEHICLES.

ALL PLANES have been modified in some way or form. Flaps should be easier to hear. All engine sounds were normalized.

New wind file for all planes. More authentic based on the recordings heard than previous soundpack versions.

Here are some of the highlights:

New hit sounds for fighters and bombers. Bomber hits are not going to be as "defined" as smaller fighter hit sounds.

Increased some of the air disruption in the stalls for all ge planes and some us planes

Tempest / Typhoon - new engine start sequence as well as new engine sound

109G6 / 109 G2 / 109 G10 - Authentic new engine start/shutdown sequences, as well as new authentic engine sounds (sampled from Black 6, with db605 from Duxford England). New flaps as per operational sound from Black 6
Edited gear and slats for level/tone as well.

109E4 /F4 - New engine sounds as wells as changes listed above for the other 109s.

C202/205 new engines as per 109s new engines.

Me163: increased pitch of rocket/engine..edited flaps.

Me262: edited start/shutdown sequence, New engine sounds. New flaps sound as well as edited gear sound.

FW190s - New start sounds for all the 190s. Adjusted guns as wells as flaps/gears for volume
Adjusted all engine sounds for some more prop noise as well as higher RPM

JU88 - new engine sounds and start shutdown, flaps, gears adjusted

Ju87 - new start/shutdown - engine sound reedited for rpm.

P38 - New engine sounds and start/shutdown sequence. Edited Gears/Flaps. Tailored bomb drops and Rockets sounds. (sound samples from Lefty Gardners p38)

P51d - New engine sounds and start sequence. New flaps. (sound samples from Bob Love's p51d)

P51B - new operational sounds, engine

P40 series - new engine sounds

Yaks - reworked new engine sounds

La5/la7s - reworked flap sounds to include hydrualic motor, new start sounds.

B17s and B24s have new engine sounds and start sequences.

SBD/TBM engine edited for more RPM

Fm2/f4f have recieved new engine sounds...

Tons more flaps.gear adjustmenst with eq'ing, ect..prob more engines sounds - just can't remeber...lol

VEHICLES

ALL Heavy AFV have had their sounds reduced in volume abit to fit in with the "virtual world"

T34 - new tank gun sound.

Explosions sortened edited for GV series.

Edited and some new hit sounds for Heavy AFV

WEAPONS.

ALL gun sounds have been edited to fit in with the "feel" of being in cockpit. Naturally nose mounted armament will be slighly duller
and softer in volume than wing mounted armament.

Rocket sounds have been redited and lowered in volume a bit. Added a slight phasing to help with doppler and sound dispacement as they travel through air.

Added little more low end punch to the British cannons.

Adjusted levels for player manned rear aircraft guns as compared to wing / nose mounted arms. Louder, since "your" firing and aiming the gun.

All Gun sound rate of fire are still based on the following settings:

US AIRCRAFT

Browning M2 .50cal - based on 850 RPM
Hispano 20 MM (p38l/f4u1c) based on 600 RPM

BRITISH AIRCRAFT:
Browning .303s - Based on 1200 RPM
Hispano 20Mm Mk2 - based on 600 RPM
Vicker "S" 40mm - based on 120 RPM
Hispano Mk 5 20 mm - based on 750 RPM

GERMAN AIRCRAFT:

Mg17 7.62mm - based on 1200 RPM
MG/FF 20mm - based on 530 RPM
Mg151/20 20 mm - based on 700 RPM
Mk108 30 MM - based on 650 RPM
MG 131 / 13mm based on 900 RPM
MG81 7.92mm based on 1600 RPM

ITALIAN AIRCRAFT:
7.7mm Breda - safat - based on 900 RPM
12.7 Breda-safat - Based on 700 RPM
(205 uses MG 151/20) as cannon

JAPANESE AIRCRAFT:
TYPE 99 Mk1 20 mm - based on 520 RPM
Type 97 7.7 mm - based on 900 RPM
Type 99 Mk2 20mm - based on 490 RPM
HO 103 12.7mm - based on 900 RPM
Type 92 7.7mm - based on 600 RPM
HO-5 20mm - based on 840 RPM

RUSSIAN AIRCRAFT:

ShKAS 7.62mm - based on 1800 RPM
VYa 23mm - based on 540 RPM
UBS/T 12.7mm - based on 800 RPM
ShVAK 20mm - based on 800 RPM
Berezin B-20 20mm - based on 88 RPM
NS-37 37mm - based on 240 RPM

Link below - be sure to check out the gunsights and skins.
It's an easy install, you just need to download the complete pack v3.2 if you want. If not, you can download the "basesounds" then add individual folders as you like. Would recommend the complete pack. You then have to download the patch for the hurricane2d gun (Aircraft sounds / British / Hurri2d folder on website)

Over 900 Downloads to date. Link below in sig
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 03:06:25 AM by Waffle »

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
Which sound pack
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 05:14:34 PM »
ive downloaded waffles and mitsus.
both have good points and bad points, i can't point out all these so i will state a dew that stand out for me..
i dont like some of the echo effects in waffles, but i do like a lot of the engine sounds.
i don't like some of the preset sound volume lvls in mitsus. but i do like the gun sounds..

over all these are both good packs, some good pints some not so good . but sound like music is all down to the listener..

one think i feel should be changed is the explosions from alt. bombs should be thuds not crashswish..also gear and flaps souldn't sound like the funfair..:aok

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Which sound pack
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 05:28:26 PM »
Selector - from the above read me :)

Shortened and reedited some of the explosion sounds, and added a new one for GVs.

Added a "zBomberExplosions" folder which contains explosion files to be inserted into heavy bombers if you do a lot of level bombing.
These files are the low thundering explosions you would hear from a distance. (reccomended insertion into b17,b24,b26,ki67,ju88. lanc folder)

Don't know what "echos" you mean, unless it was the length of the explosion reverb on some of the previous versions.
V3.2 was released on Dec12th

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
Which sound pack
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 06:35:18 PM »
cool.. waff i didn't read all the posts i just answered the first one.. i was in a hurry..

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
Which sound pack
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 08:33:41 PM »
lol waffle has the facts!:lol