Author Topic: Need a trainer  (Read 782 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Need a trainer
« on: June 06, 2000, 09:34:00 AM »
Hi, asked popeye last nbight this question and he suggested I ask here. I would like to setup a session or two with an excellent P51 pilot. I would like to go over tried and true tactics in this AC. i know the fundementals, and im not terrible in the airplane. I try to be strict about keeping the AC in a vertical aspect. I generally always get impatient and end up OTD with a kill, but along comes the entire Rook oir Bishop Air force at alt Anyway, I would like to learn some tricks in this AC. (Also have a liking for the LA5) I am east coast US and Im off work and usually available in the evenings--except Sunday  and wednesday.

I appreciate it very much.

Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
Need a trainer
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2000, 09:46:00 AM »
Ammo,

I don't know if I qualify as an "excellent" P-51 pilot, but I would be glad to work with you.  Drop me an email at ftgcss@home.com and we can set something up.  

I also live on the east coast.  I'm also working with daddy on his Mustang training classes in WB on Tuesday nights and Wednesday nights is a squad night.  The best times for me are Monday, Thursday after 9:00 P.M. and anytime Friday evening or the weekends.

Sharky

------------------
Playboy Leader
307th FS/31st FG
You can run but ya just die tired

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Need a trainer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2000, 09:56:00 AM »
Hey thats great Sharky, I appreciate it. I'll email you here in a minute.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Need a trainer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2000, 10:37:00 AM »
Sharky is probably a better Pony pilot (and a much better trainer) than I am, but if you need or want another perspective look me up in the arena or email me to meet you sometimes.

Last tour (only flew the P-51) was my best ever and I finished with a little over a 4 to 1 K/D rating in the Mustang. Not necessarily because I am worth anything as a pilot but mainly because of patience, decent SA, and knowing when to run   (which is what you said you were looking for)

Best way I have learned to teach this kind of thing is to fire up RW, and do ride alongs in the MA, talking about what is going on as it happens.

Just don't expect alot of excitement   I usually only get 1 or 2 kill missions and I take my time stalking each and every one of them, but I do usually make it home.

PS: East Coast, early evenings on weeknights are best for me.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited 06-06-2000).]

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Need a trainer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2000, 01:31:00 PM »
ammo I'm available as a target drone...my total lack of patience and horrible SA make me the perfect role model on what not to do ...but i'm a decent to good 1 vs 1 in just about all of em. Be happy to to take the under spot in any/all planes...so you can see what tactics work pony vs ? To me the real key in pony is using the right "trick" and getting a good snap shot opportunity...then up and away

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Need a trainer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2000, 05:04:00 PM »
If you can get hangtime or wardog or act, to name some excellent pony pilots, to give you a tip or two you'd be well on ya way.

My tour 4 was pretty much a fulltime P-51 tour and i learnt alot in that tour. I started off in tour 3 flying american steel, mainly the 51 and 38 and my overall K/D went through the floor. I used to be a spit dweeb (not a bad one) but i always got nailed cause i was too slow after a turn fight.
Tour 3
7:1 kill death in P-51 35 kills 5 deaths
3:1 in spitfire 63 to 22
2.6:1 in p-38 26 to 10

so i figured that im 2.5 times more likely to live in a p-51 so i decided it was my ride    

Tour 4
3:1 kill death in P-51 57 kills 17 deaths
2:1 in spitfire 27 to 12
3.3:1 in p-38 10 to 3
10:1 in f4u-c 10 to 1

Tour 5 so far
6:1 kill death in P-51 36 kills 6 deaths
2:1 in spitfire 4 to 2
2.5:1 in p-38 18 to 7
2:0 in f4u-c 2 to 0

anyway ya cut the cake, the spit is a flyin death trap     too slow.
Any my point is if ya consider me to be of any worth im glad to help ya if ya want. The P-51 is my mainstay ride and i like it    

Spat.

------------------
Overlord Spatula

flippin waffling on as usual...

=357th Pony Express=

[This message has been edited by Spatula (edited 06-06-2000).]
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Need a trainer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2000, 10:41:00 AM »
I just want to say thanks to yoiu guys for the respoonses! from the first post I emailed sharky and we arranged to meet tonite in the TA at 2130 hrs eastern. I would love all help and opinions I can get. What i like to do is ask to tag along on a sortie with soemone that I know is good  Most times they dont mind at  all and it is eye opening to see the actions and reactions they will do in comnbat. Great learning tool.

Thanks again and I would appreciate the oppertunity get advice from all of you

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member
Need a trainer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2000, 12:42:00 PM »
Can I tag along too. I am on a quest to master the pony it is the plane I almost exlusivly fly with the exeption of buffs.
I also live on the east coast, have roger wilco and I fly for the knights.

I also get impatient to get the kill and use my E unwisely...