Author Topic: Go ahead Russia, no one will blame you  (Read 6488 times)

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Go ahead Russia, no one will blame you
« Reply #315 on: February 09, 2005, 01:24:08 PM »
afghanistan.

what did i win?
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #316 on: February 09, 2005, 01:25:49 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
I remember plenty, was a pioneer like you. The little songs were great. I al;so loved it when the political police came for my uncle on one of my birthdays, what a memory!

Political police? Did Tito's Yugoslavia have any? In USSR we didn't have such advanced tools of opression :(

But I underst your need to dismiss my experiences because I draw a sharp contrast between me and your fantastoical ravings about the woinders of communism.  

Grun, you left Yugoslavia when you were 15 IIRC. It was 5 years after that great country broke apart. Did you have Young Pioneers in independant Croatia?

Don't tell me that you were opressed for your political views in kindergarten, please!

You are a fool Boroda, plain and simple.

Not as simple as you see it. For me - you are a dangerous fool.

Now go tell ATA about how effective Croatian genocide in Srpska Krajna was, how many problems it solved and how humanistic it really was.

Your text doesnt appear on my computer screen as cyrilic, the characters are more like elvish as in lotr. :)

Try to change character encoding to "Cyrillic - Windows 1251". At least in FireFox it works this way. Cyr. font pack is availible through Windows Update I think.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #317 on: February 09, 2005, 01:30:10 PM »
Originally posted by JB88
afghanistan.

Not lost. Withdrawn by Gorby.

what did i win?

You now can bear Hammer (4th level, +2 units in Labour) and Sickle (5th level, +1 in Agriculture) ;)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #318 on: February 09, 2005, 01:30:21 PM »
Dont know wehat they were called, but they werent regular police...  Later I learned all this was about some bizzare political dealings or something.  

Anyway, it doesnt really matter now. Communism is gone, and good riddance.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #319 on: February 09, 2005, 01:30:53 PM »
I said major battles, not wars. If I recall correctly there was a major battle that caused major casualties but left totally unnoticed.

Unfortunately my visit was about 10 years ago so I've completely forgot about the name. It was however the museum for some elite regiment, damned if I remember which.

I wouldn't have even realized anything (naturally) unless my guide told this as a funny anecdote. I could later verify the story from western sources.

But sorry I only remember the context and the surrealism of having selective history. This is why I understand your way of though completely Boroda.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #320 on: February 09, 2005, 01:50:50 PM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf
I said major battles, not wars. If I recall correctly there was a major battle that caused major casualties but left totally unnoticed.

Unfortunately my visit was about 10 years ago so I've completely forgot about the name. It was however the museum for some elite regiment, damned if I remember which.

I wouldn't have even realized anything (naturally) unless my guide told this as a funny anecdote. I could later verify the story from western sources.

But sorry I only remember the context and the surrealism of having selective history. This is why I understand your way of though completely Boroda.

Well, a battle completely lost in a war that was won? I bet you think it should be the in the main exposition, much more worth mentioning then the won battles! :D

With our military history we have a right to skip some battles, won or lost, otherwise it will be impossible to concentrate on anything. 1000 years of wars only since Christening of Russia.

With over 1000 years of history - it's quite obvious that some museums are "selective".

BTW, I still don't remember any big museum in SPb dedicated to "some elite regiment". Maybe it was re-opened after Soviet times? My Father's Engineering College is situated in Lieb-Guards Cavalry Regiment quarters, and after 1991 they restored some historical parts of it.

When I was a kid - I was studying all availible materials about Russo-Japanese war. A total failure of Russian military. It was covered at least no less then any "victorious" war in school history textbooks, and I was able to find tons of information about it in open sources. Absolutely the same thing about Crimean war 1852-55.

With our history we can probably skip some wars, not speaking of battles. For example - if you ask me about 7-years war, when Russian Army took Berlin for the first time in XVIII century, I'll probably remember only the Kunensdorf (sp?) battle. And I don't remember almost anything about endless Russo-Turkish wars since XVII century, except some major battles, won or lost. So it goes. Noone is perfect. Even people who earn their money by teaching history  usually can't tell anything about, for example, a battle of Zholty Vody.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #321 on: February 09, 2005, 01:56:03 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
Not lost. Withdrawn by Gorby.

You now can bear Hammer (4th level, +2 units in Labour) and Sickle (5th level, +1 in Agriculture) ;)

um.  waterloo.  forces withdrawn by napoleon.

:rolleyes:
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #322 on: February 09, 2005, 01:58:08 PM »
Boroda ow many large battles has russia lost since ww1?

Offline ATA

• Nickel Member
« Reply #323 on: February 09, 2005, 02:00:18 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Food for thought
---------------------
"When is a thread actually dead?"

There are two main camps in this discussion.  Some will argue that a thread that hasn't been responded to in a certain amount of time (be it a day or month) is dead.  Variations on this include threads that leave the first page of the summary view or threads that don't have enough participants to keep it afloat among other, more active threads.

The other camp says that a thread never actually dies, but instead enters a state of suspended animation.  "There's no technological reason", they argue, "why a 10 year old message can't be responded to if there is new information."  In fact, this group will argue that a thread can continue until the very heat death of the universe precludes further conversation.

I submit evidence that ATA is a member of group #2.

Maybe he's right

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #324 on: February 09, 2005, 02:01:30 PM »
thread entropy?
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

Offline ATA

• Nickel Member
« Reply #325 on: February 09, 2005, 02:04:27 PM »
um.  waterloo.  forces withdrawn by napoleon.

:rolleyes:

Russia denies loss in Afghan,US denies it in 'Nam.
I can live with that

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #326 on: February 09, 2005, 02:04:53 PM »
Boroda ow many large battles has russia lost since ww1?

Umpteen.

But we have won more ;)

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #327 on: February 09, 2005, 02:08:44 PM »
Originally posted by ATA
Russia denies loss in Afghan,US denies it in 'Nam.
I can live with that

It's intersting to watch Central Television this days. I have seen some "expert" saying that an Afghan adventure was nessesary and reasonable, that the problem of drugs and Moslim extremism had to be solved...

Strange times...

BTW, my best friend has a Combat Merit (Za boevie zaslugi) from Afghanistan, was wounded there, 1985-87, and he says they didn't experience any problems like what we see from US forces in Vietnam. "Shuravi" in Afghanistan is still a friedly word.

Offline ATA

• Nickel Member
« Reply #328 on: February 09, 2005, 02:17:08 PM »
Такой хуйнёй нихуя не прадвинеж,они проста мазги выебут.
Нада пакароче отпёздываца шоп капи анд пейст им не хуй была.
Спасиба за инфа,йа скантактираюсь стабой.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #329 on: February 09, 2005, 02:20:55 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
"Shuravi" in Afghanistan is still a friedly word.

Не слыхал такое словечко……что это? .