Author Topic: JABO Gun Sight  (Read 3575 times)

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
JABO Gun Sight
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2000, 01:28:00 PM »

Originally posted by terracota:
well thanxs mino for the help, but I have a problem here I dont now why but I tried your sigth the last nigth an looks horryble  
in my f4u1d cockpit I tried in other planes and looks fine but in my loved plane looks to small and the lines looks like break  
anyway I now this is a problem with the sigths in the f4us no your sigth , I will have to back to my old sigth ;(
see ya

Terracota;

The next time your fly the F4U try resetting your front view and head position.  First press < F1 > then press < Home >.  These are the default keys, but should reset your view and head position to the AH default.  

If your viewpoint moves, this is your problem and you can then save this by pressing < F10 >.  For some reason the sight loses intensity and shape if it is not perfectly centered.

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

"Hind tit suckin whiners. Begone with yah!"
Hangtime

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
JABO Gun Sight
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2000, 02:56:00 PM »
Thx Rip, sure appreciate it!  

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
JABO Gun Sight
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2000, 03:30:00 PM »
"For some reason the sight loses intensity and shape if it is not perfectly centered."

That's the way reflector gunsights work.  It isn't a bug.  

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/terracota
JABO Gun Sight
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2000, 10:37:00 AM »
well thanks to all I will try this tonigth

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
JABO Gun Sight
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2000, 01:54:00 PM »

Originally posted by bloom25:
"For some reason the sight loses intensity and shape if it is not perfectly centered."

That's the way reflector gunsights work.  It isn't a bug.  

OK!  

Was their a provision for the pilot to adjust the gunsight to fit himself?

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

"Hind tit suckin whiners. Begone with yah!"
Hangtime

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
JABO Gun Sight
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2000, 03:42:00 PM »
Mino

That quote is a little misleading.

The gunsight glass is really a mirror that reflects a light image that is created in a device located in front or above the instrument panel. It is fixed and is non-adjustable.

In some gunsights, the image consists of several parts (a pipper and a moving range scale, for example). These images are created separately and then combined when the images are focused on the gunsight glass. For this reason, this gunsight glass is known as a 'combining glass'. (At least it was until HUDs came along...fledgling fighter pilots these days have never heard the term...in my time, that's what it was always called!).

This image is focused at infinity and is projected straight back into the cockpit. The pilot has a reasonable amount of head movement freedom (an inch or two at the most, side to side and up/down). Also, since the seats in most fighters are adjustable to accomodate pilots of varying heights, the sight display is unaffected by seat height position.

The optical purity of a combining glass is amazing. You can look thru it from straight on down to practically sideways and still see thru it with no distortion.

Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy Bush (edited 10-26-2000).]

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
JABO Gun Sight
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2000, 10:35:00 AM »
Unfortunately AH reflector sights don't work the way they are supposed to.  

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
JABO Gun Sight
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2000, 01:35:00 PM »
Great gun sight...looking forward to using it sometime soon.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
JABO Gun Sight
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2000, 05:53:00 AM »
Mino great gun sight! It has helped my jabo bombing a great deal, admittedly it didnt take much doing to improb my lousy percentages but it has helped me get the right sight picture for bomb lead! Thanks again bud! <S>

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
JABO Gun Sight
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2000, 04:51:00 AM »
Kirin's A8 gunsight rules it though  .

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
while(!bishRookQueue.isEmpty() && loggedOn()){
30mmDeathDIEDIEDIE(bishRookQueue.removeFront());
System.out.println("LW pilots are superior");
myPlane.performVictoryRoll();
}

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
JABO Gun Sight
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2000, 02:42:00 PM »
Re: gunsight reflectors/glass/combiners

I have a K-14b sight which uses a clear plexiglass reflector.  There is no detectable distortion through the angled plexiglass.  

This unit, btw, is actually two gunsights in one head unit.  The center of each of two projectors are the same distance apart as our eyes.  The right eye sees the ranging diamond and pipper.  The left eye sees a small center cross and a 70 mil circle (where the circle can be blocked with a lever on the left side of the sight head). Both projectors can be operated independantly or together.  

Each image is focused at infinity but neither appears as a 3D image since both are not combined.  There is a very interesting effect that happens, however.  When one eye is closed, the other sees an image on the left or right side.  When both eyes are open, both images appear to move to the center of the reflector without changing the aiming point.  In fact, its not even possible to photograph both images together since the camera is essentially acting like one eye. Also the size of the image does not change with distance of your eyes from the sight head.  Moving closer to the sight has the exact opposite effect that we see in AH (where moving your head closer zooms the image)- the image appears to get smaller in relation to the gunsight and reflector unit.  Moving away
makes the image appear to grow in relation to the gunsight head and reflector unit.  The size of the image over target, however, does not change with head movement.  ( Ex - Imagine being  parked several hundred yards from a building in your car.  Moving your head closer to the steering wheel makes the wheel appear bigger in relation to the building but does not change the size of the building.)

There is no ground attack reticle image in the K-14b and this is/was the standard installation in the P-51D.  It features the standard fixed circle/cross and the moving diamond/pipper.  The diamond image used for computing lead is ingenious in its function and design.  You set the the target's wingspan (in feet)on the up front span lever.  The rotating throttle handle is turned (like a motorcycle grip), causing the diamonds to expand or converge around the center pipper. This allows the pilot to fit the targeted airplane within the diamonds to determine range.  Using a gyroscope mounted mirror, a mechanical computer in the sight head computes the range and corrects for ballistics and G-load to move the diamond sight around the field of view.  The pilots maneuvers the airplane so that the sight appears to sit on the target for more than two seconds (basicly a steady state gunnery solution) then fires for a high percentage shot.  If you want to see how it works, fire up the brand AW sim and enable the computing sight.  Heh, one of the few things the sim actually modeled correctly.

MiG