Author Topic: New Scoring for Kills in Air  (Read 1039 times)

Offline LeadDog

• Zinc Member
New Scoring for Kills in Air
« on: February 06, 2005, 09:25:13 PM »
I have two requests.  First why have Attack and Fighter scores just make that one big score.  A fighter should always be looking for opportunistic targets to damage.

Second:

I counted 21 kills last tour that I came into an opponent, cut his tail completely off or ripped a wing off.  The plane butterflied from the sky and since another person from my country was closer to the spot the enemy plane impacts the ground they got the proxy kill without firing a shot.  That represented almost 10% of my kills for a tour.

I suggest.
If plane impacts ground and has received 10% prior damage use current method for determining kill as if plane exploding in air and ignore proxy kill.
If plane is undamaged or less than 10% use the proximity code to give the kill.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 10:03:03 AM »
Item 1.

We used to have it in one catagory. But hit % gets realy messed up, I.E. you could pad your fighter hit % by just shooting buildings. To fix that problem we made 2 catagoryies for those who do both, and those who just do air to air.

Item 2.
You have some miss perceptions. Proxy kills are only awarded if no one has put any damage on the plane. If you are the only person who shot a plane and it crashes , you will get the kill.

So it already works like you ask, but with anything greater than 0 %.

What most likely happened in the example you gave was some one else had shot the plane up before you arived, you put the final shots on him and he lost his tail.

The person who has landed the most leathality on a plane will be awareded the kill.

If no lethality has been landed, and a plane crashes, a proxy kill is awarded to the person closest, and withing a certain range.

HiTech

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 10:24:51 AM »
HiTech,

I'd still like to see damage tracking ended when an enemy plane has lost a wing or it's tail.  Something to put a damper on the bottom feeders that shoot the crap out of falling wrecks to get kills they didn't earn.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 10:27:07 AM »
Thanks, HiTech.  Good explanations.

Proxy kills also prevent impending kills from being negated by pursued victims who accidentally or intentionally crash before they are hit.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 11:10:27 AM »
What karnak said.

2 nights ago an enemy 262 was laying waste to our goons and buffs,  I dove on it and snapped his wing off with a short 20mm burst.

As it spun straight down, some jackwad in a tiffie dove on it and pumped it full of quad 20mm and blew it up. I got the assist he got the kill.

Is there no way to mark a kill once critical damage is done?

aka if plane loses wing/tail/engine on fire the system will award the kill even though the affected plane is still spiraling downward?

im no programmer so im talking outta my arse here but if theres code to tell the client to display a lost wing or engine on fire it should mean the game can determine such damage..why not award the kill when such damage is identified?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 11:18:02 AM »
You can not award the kill at the time of damage. The outcome of the flight has still not been determined. The odds are he will crash and die,but that is not always the case.

But I have lost wings at times near ground and ended up with a ditch by luck.

What would be possible is that no more lethality points are tracked once certian componets fail. The plane could still be shot and more damage done, but no kill award tracking would be done, you still must stay living until the hit plane exits flight.

Been thinking about implementing this for a while, it just hasn't moved to the top of the list yet.

HiTech

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 11:46:33 AM »
Originally posted by hitech

What would be possible is that no more lethality points are tracked once certian componets fail. The plane could still be shot and more damage done, but no kill award tracking would be done, you still must stay living until the hit plane exits flight.

I've spent all weekend in the Yak-9T, and I have to give this idea a big thumbs up. Dives a guy nuts to de-wing a plane with a single 37mm and get the assist lol. Don't get me wrong, I understand that this would still be possible with the above system, but it would be nice to get a little extra-credit when using the hammer-gun.

On a side note, I used to use the Fighter/Attack scores to track my performance in two seperate planes. I would only fly fighter sorties in the Yak-9U, and then only fly Attack Sorties in the Yak-9T. It gave me a very nice side-by-side comparison of my performance in each plane.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 12:22:50 PM »
Why is that when I tear a plane to shreds and he tumbles into the ground wingless etc but does not explode that I'm not awarded the kill? Why not grant a ditch to the surviving pilot for his skill/luck of not dying but still award the kill ?  Didn't they award kills for shooting down another plane, not necessarily if you killed the pilot or not?

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 12:48:34 PM »
there is nothing like taking a wing or tail off to have the plane fall safely into the trees safely for a ditch.:(
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 12:53:47 PM »
Originally posted by rabbidrabbit
Why is that when I tear a plane to shreds and he tumbles into the ground wingless etc but does not explode that I'm not awarded the kill? Why not grant a ditch to the surviving pilot for his skill/luck of not dying but still award the kill ?  Didn't they award kills for shooting down another plane, not necessarily if you killed the pilot or not?
That has more to do with the ditch model that it does kill tracking.  If that plane is in enemy territory, a kill will be awarded via a capture.  If its in its own territory, its a sucessful ditch.

Without a complex model to account for every situation, how would what you want work?  How is the system supposed to know whether you just flew 50 miles away from the battle before you ditched, or just took critical damage 20ft off the ground to slide in without being killed?  Or if you lost an engine, and managed to brake away from the furball to ditch 1/2 a mile away?
Ive experienced what your talking about, but how do you give kills out for sucessful ditches without making it nearly impossible to ditch?

Been thinking about implementing this for a while, it just hasn't moved to the top of the list yet.

HiTech

Yes please.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 12:54:27 PM »

That is all that I ask.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 01:10:49 PM »
I would think the best way to do it would to award both a kill and a ditch if the pilot survives the landing regardless of where he is.  Whats the real point of a ditch vs a capture anyway?  You still go back to the tower so being captured makes no difference.  Thoughts?

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 01:25:03 PM »
"What would be possible is that no more lethality points are tracked once certian componets fail. The plane could still be shot and more damage done, but no kill award tracking would be done, you still must stay living until the hit plane exits flight."

oooh yes that sounds very nice.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 01:27:22 PM »
Originally posted by rabbidrabbit
I would think the best way to do it would to award both a kill and a ditch if the pilot survives the landing regardless of where he is.  Whats the real point of a ditch vs a capture anyway?  You still go back to the tower so being captured makes no difference.  Thoughts?

Ditching gives the ditcher a reason to try and limp his plane home. I'm not a big score guy, but last night I took a rad hit over enemy territory and my second thought was "Gee, I hope I can get close enough to my base to ditch."

I don't know why that is, but it's just something that I work for when the time comes.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2005, 01:28:07 PM »
My thought is, if I can deny someone a kill by making it back to friendly territory I will.  In real life those planes that limped away were probables, not kills.  
I have sucessfully landed or ditched after a long limping flight:
no elevators (yes, both gone)
no ailerons on CV
chunks out of 1 wing
chunks out of both wings (that was difficult)
and so on
Where is the immersion or fun in attempting to rtb if anything short of stoping on the runway gives someone a kill...especially if they shot you up 15 mins ago, and 50 miles away.