Author Topic: Best way to make terrain tiles -  (Read 453 times)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Best way to make terrain tiles -
« on: February 18, 2005, 02:35:11 AM »
Was wondering if there are any recommended tiling programs, or even hints tips on hand designing terrain tiles so they tile correctly.

Also, Should we go ahead and make a prelit bumpmap with the terrain tiles? any other potential goodies that we should know about so we dont have to go back and redo stuff? :)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 05:25:33 AM »
For seamless tiles...

In Paint Shop, open a 512x512 bitmap, click "Effects", select "Image Effect" then "Offset". Enter 256 for both vertical and horizontal offsets, and make sure "wrap" is selected. Then blend the center seams.

The same thing can be done in Photoshop with "Filter", "Other", "Offest".
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 08:47:49 AM »
Simple way to create tile edges. Think of folding a piece of paper in half, then in half again the other way. To create a tile, just unfold it.

Start with 1 square, mirror it down, Then mirror the new rectangle again to the right. You can now wipe out the middle and the edges will tile.

HiTech

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Re: Best way to make terrain tiles -
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 12:05:38 PM »
Ask Pokie to repost my seamless tile making process.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by Waffle BAS
Was wondering if there are any recommended tiling programs, or even hints tips on hand designing terrain tiles so they tile correctly.

Also, Should we go ahead and make a prelit bumpmap with the terrain tiles? any other potential goodies that we should know about so we dont have to go back and redo stuff? :)

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Re: Re: Best way to make terrain tiles -
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 07:31:06 PM »
Originally posted by NUTTZ
Ask Pokie to repost my seamless tile making process.

NUTTZ

Hello Nuttz, it's been awhile :aok

Here's Nuttz Tile Making 101

http://www.accesswave.ca/~tscott/AH-stuff/AH-Editor&Stuff/Nuttz_TileMaking101Basics.zip

Pokie

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 09:20:08 PM »
Thanks guys - i guess theres no way to go about having to smooth the inside - but no worries. Should be fun.

Made a water tile and it came out really nice. Gonna be fun building a little world. Right now, Im just doing visual stuff and seeing how it interacts and how pleasing it looks to the eye. So will be a long while before an actual map is produced. I'll start yelling for help when it comes time to start doing zones, ect later....

Another off-topic question: When a map/terrain is done - can you save the arena settings for submission with the map (ie sky color / dusk/night days) or will those thing have to remain as they are in MA? In my little testing terrain - i'm amazed at how much little variences in light can help with a terrain.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 05:53:36 AM »
Sounds like you and I are headed in similar directions. The world is not a drab green place. These are just experiments at the moment...;)

Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 12:14:00 PM »
The Rock and Snow terrain tiles where modified for the submitted frac3 map.

There are currently 6 base or main terrain types (not including water) with 4 sub-types each.  Are there any plans for increasing the number of base types?

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 01:45:19 PM »
Originally posted by MachNix
There are currently 6 base or main terrain types (not including water) with 4 sub-types each.  Are there any plans for increasing the number of base types?
I certainly hope so, at least a few more would be nice. :)
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001