Author Topic: Newbie,need help with training/joystick....  (Read 988 times)

SethDrone

Newbie,need help with training/joystick....
« on: May 28, 2001, 09:15:00 PM »
just got AH today and the sidewinder precision 2.  need help with setting up the commands for which buttons etc.. also the throttle tab doesnt seem to work.

secondly and more importantly i would appreciate anyone teachin me how to fly, or if u can point me to a website with some good information. ive flown a few times lately ive been going in circles on the runway and doing summersaults ;P..got in the air a few times w/ just the kyboard and lasted for a bit until i decided to do a spiral into the ocean..

SethDrone

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2001, 12:34:00 AM »
First, take a good look at the default key bindings via the clipboard/set up/keyboard (you can do all of this in flight), and try to familiarise your self with what's available.

Then, make a blank sidewinder profile. Once you're in flight, it's perfectly possible to alt + tab out of the game, fiddle with the profile and alt + tab back in again.

There's one descision you'll need to make early on, are you going to use manual or combat trim, as you'll need buttons for it if you do. The experts claim trimming manualy gives them an edge, but I suspect that a lot of people are flying out of trim a lot of the time, it's one thing to set it at 300 mph, but by the time you've gone round and round with an enemy you'll be down to 200 MPH and the trim will need adjusting...

There's a couple of sidewinder profiles on the HTC webpage to look at (and I'll send you mine if you drop me a mail), even if they're not for your exact stick they'll give you an idea or two.

As for training, you'll usualy find a willing hand in either the training arena or the main arena, though the TA is a much better bet if you're very new to this stuff.

SethDrone

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2001, 01:38:00 AM »
yeah im extremely new to flight sims, been doing online games for quite awhile though.  u can mail me at sethdrone@hotmail.com

i figure for now ill just do auto trim...till i at least figure out the rest.
whats a sidewinder profile? that sets upw hat ur keys do?

thanks for the help

SethDrone

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2001, 09:34:00 AM »
Don't worry about being new, _everybody_ starts somewhere.

A sidewinder profile? Well, most games allow you to customise a few buttons how you like it, and that's about it. The sidewinder, however, is what's known as a programable joystick, which means that it has attendant software which allows you to program exactly what each button press does, including the view hat. Now, seeing as how Aces High already has an extremely flexible button/control set up, this means that you can set up your stick just about any way you please. In fact, it's quite feasible to make a couple of profiles, one for fighters, one for bombers, one for ground vehicles and so on, should you reaaly "get into it" and feel it's nessacery. On the otherhand, it cam all be a bit too much, and lead to confusion when you're just starting out. It's worth saying that you by no means *have* to use a stick profile, as the AH stick/key set up is flexible enough for it not to be really crucial, but it's easy. In any case, Microsoft sticks generaly perform better if the sidewinder software is at least running as it includes later drivers than Windows.

Still, that's all by the by. As a beginner, the most important things are (in no particular order)

Views out of cockpit.
Flaps
weapon selection
weapon firing
position change ( bombardier, front gunner, rear gunner etc)
Gun site zoom (you can push your nose up against the gunsite with a single button press for those long range shots)
Map
Map zoom
transmit key (if you use voice coms, and a lot do)
Auto pilot (there's three sorts)

As you can see, there's probably more there already than you've got buttons for, so be prepared to have a go at what you think's important, and to change it lots of times as you learn and your priorities change.

Lephturn's site has some good stick set up tips (http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/),
 and Flakbait's has some good "get you up in the air" tips http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6/index.htm

You *won't* get it right in one go, it's an ongoing process, but it's not hard to fiddle with.

Lastly, film every thing, and watch it religiously. That's where you'll learn your mistakes, and how the other guys are killing you.

SethDrone

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2001, 12:37:00 PM »
thks seeker that link helped alot with basics on flying.  i didnt see anything about joysticks tho, can you give me a good profile for the sidewinder precision2

SethDrone

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2001, 01:59:00 PM »
I can help there Seth.  

I'll give you my profile tonight when I get home.

If I forget, ping me about it email.  

Hmmm.  Gotta do an article methinks.  

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2001, 02:43:00 PM »
Lephturn,

Is there any reduction in flight responsiviness when either the deadband or dampening are increased?  It seemed the last time I tried to increase the dampening in roll my roll rate seemed to be slower.

SethDrone

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2001, 03:53:00 AM »
Hey leph, I sent you an email today, guess your working long tonight?    lemme know if the mail got through plz.

SethDrone

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2001, 06:41:00 AM »
Yeah Seth... I worked late and then went to see Pearl Harbour.  

I'll get back to you with instructions/description of my setup today, and then email my sidewinder profile tonight.  Didn't get time last night, although I did see that you emailed me.  Pearl Harbour is LONG so I got home late.

First of all, how is this stick connected, USB?  Does it show up properly and calibrate properly in Windows?  If it does, your throttle wheel, rudders, and such should all work properly.  If they don't, you can use the joystick setup tab to map the various axis to your controls.  After that, we'll talk about mapping buttons.  I have a Pre Pro 2 USB and it works perfectly for me, I even use the shift/button combinations with the Sidewinder software to get 16 buttons.

SpitLead, yes the Dampening slider basically slows down the speed of your control changes.  So by increasing your dampening slider in the roll axis, it will take much longer for your ailerons to get to full deflection... dampening delays the control inputs.  I use almost no dampening in roll, a tiny deadband, and all 100 in the scaling.  Roll is the one axis I don't need to tune at all.  I scale my pitch axis starting from about 50% and curving up to 100% at the end, with a tiny deadband (almost none) and almost no damping.  Only increase your pitch dampening if you get nose bounce when pitching the plane, and make small adjustments until it feels right.

Now for Yaw (rudder) I really get tweaking.  Because I have a twisty stick, it is easy to accidentally kick rudder when doing other maneuvers, so I have more deadband in this axis.  I also have more dampening, since the throw of the twist is short and I tend to slam it more so I need the dampening.  I also scale this one heavily, starting very low and scaling up in a smooth curve to the top right.

The trick is to use your graphs that are on the stick setup screen.  When you change settings you can immediately see the results in the input graphs.  Make your changes and watch the graphs as you move the stick and ensure you get nice smooth response from all axis.

------------------

SethDrone

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2001, 02:10:00 PM »
The stick is connected USB, it does everything propely in windows..when i move the throttle tab front/back it shows th movement there. but in AH the throttle tab does nothing.

BeTown helped me with some flying stuff last night, I actually landed once! =/
For the rest of that stuff im a complete newb and dont really know waht your talking about   (only thing my stick does now is turn and shoot )

SethDrone

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2001, 05:23:00 PM »
I don't bother with the profiler, I just setup the stick in AH.

Salvo

SethDrone

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2001, 05:26:00 PM »
LOL, seeker I just got that profile u sent me working, but now absolutely nothing on my stick works except turning =) hehe. cant even shoot.   I checked those url's to couldnt find an AH precision 2 profile =/

anyone else here use the MS Sidewinder Precision 2?

SethDrone

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2001, 12:16:00 PM »
Does anyone here know whwere to get the 3.01 software for the ms sidewinder precision 2? If you could drop a url or something Id appreciate it, thanks.

SethDrone

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2001, 01:45:00 PM »
Easy one.  http://www.microsoft.com/products/hardware/sidewinder/downloads/default.htm

Choose the "Game controller Software" link.

BTW I sent you my Sidewinder profile as well.

I may have to get you to map things in AH though... sounds like that is your problem.  I'll see if there is a file I can send with my settings from AH.

BTW... do you have the one with the wheel throttle, or the one with a kindof lever on it?

------------------

SethDrone

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2001, 04:44:00 PM »
k im DLing the link now its 3.02 though?
i went to my game controllers section , hit browse and chose the profile you sent me, now my joystick as well as guns work ingame. However none of hte other buttson or throttle still work.

i have the one with a tab on the left that u push forward or pull back.... (makes a semi-circle path)

SethDrone