Author Topic: Dealing with Pottymouth...  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Dealing with Pottymouth...
« on: February 22, 2005, 06:41:33 PM »
Alright, I know I'm going to get Flak for this but so be it...

Yesterday I was playing, and since my headset has been going out of late, I had the my big speakers on - somtimes its nice to have the surround sound stereo effect as well.

Just as my four-year-old and two year old bumbled in to see what daddy was up to (they love airplanes) out came a long stream of some of the most foul language imaginable* from one of our players on range channel. It was so long and loud my wife in the other room heard it and was appalled. I had to sit down with the kids for some time to talk about the fact that some people in the game that daddy plays use corrupt and filthy language, like daddy used to use before his own heart was changed - which led to my four year old asking the salient question: "Why do you play with people who do that?" Which led my wife to ask "Yes daddy, why do you play with people like that?" One long and unpleasant conversation later...

I've got to admit I'm kind of sick of having to listen to it myself and having to keep the speakers off because of the constant use of profanity (which I believe has gotten worse of late - used to be guys might actually pipe and say "language" but these days the stream of abuse they get in return usually shuts them down).

Can I ask therefore - can we get a command to disable range vox and leave the squad channel open? Or can we get a PG rated Main Arena? Is there any hope for those of us who are bummed out by vox pottymouth populi? Its not like we can "change the range channel" to another more family friendly one.

* the stream included "m*th*r-f*ck*rs" which my four year old girl repeated exactly, and without the asterisks, thanks.

Tired of gangstahigh, I remain...

Your Servant,

SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 07:58:51 PM »
agree in principle... make allllll radio channels squelchable.... doesn't seem like it'd be hard to implement. not as a default setting, but as an option.

this includes abiltity to squelch *any* and all pvt comms, vox or text, a global setting, not a case by case post defacto.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 08:26:03 PM »
Had the same thing happen Seagoon. Almost to the letter. The difference was it was my Nephew...WHO happens to be my Brother the MINSITERS son. Real nice to try to explain that one.

My brother thank goodness understands the nature of things but , would rather my lil nephew not be around that while visiting his uncle. I totally understand it. I got the headphones on 90 percent of the time now.

But , I have this nice surround sound system that is pretty much usless in the game becuase of Idiots like that.

My mother also lives with my wife and I and although she knows all those words , it again because of my up bringing forces me to use headphones.

Sad really....but I don't expect a change at all. And that is a shame really.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 09:38:09 PM »
Squelch for range would be sooooo welcome..

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 12:55:34 AM »
Lemme guess. Someone didnt get a check 6 call right?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline BALSUR

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 01:08:57 AM »
Agree 100%, I have to use headphones while playing this game so that, my children and their friends don't hear such garbage.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 01:57:11 AM »
Speak up and tell em there are children able to hear you on the speakers, and you'd appreciate it if they tone it down a bit.

Les

Offline Zaphod

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 05:17:21 AM »
Ya....It would be nice to be able to squelch range channel.  I am pretty bad on the language thing...but don't use profanity on range channel (try to watch it on squad also).  It really doesn't bother me to hear it but some folks find that sort of thing quite offensive.  It would be easier I would think to set up range vox as squelchable than trying to police it for profanity.  
I think some people forget that others are offended by profanity or that youngsters may be online.  Of course there is the group that really doesn't care also, so I'm in for being able to squelch the whole channel.

Zaphod

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 08:40:40 AM »
Yup squelchable range channel is very high up on my list of wants in this game.

asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 03:24:44 PM »
I really wish people would control their mouths better, but sadly that seems to much for some.

If range could be squelched, HiTech might as well just remove it from the game.  It'd be useless with an unknown number of people unable to hear it.

Maybe that is the only real solution, because gods know the current method is unacceptable.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 03:27:24 PM »
maybe volume sliders for range and private comms?

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 04:27:06 PM »
Possibly a range channel toggle button?

Btw, if it was me that cursed (Punishr) please call me out on it.  I do have the mouth of a sailor, but I hold it most of the time when I'm playing.  Occasionally, I'll say something then immediately correct myself.  If I miss it completely, please say something.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 07:18:22 PM »
Originally posted by Leslie
Speak up and tell em there are children able to hear you on the speakers, and you'd appreciate it if they tone it down a bit.

The usual response is "@#$^%$ I'll say whatever the #$@^#$ I want because it's a free !@#$% country and you're impinging on my #$%#$@ right to !@#$% use whatever @$% language I like!" or something along those lines.

The problem is that most people have absolutely no concept of common courtesy anymore.

The only in-game fix for that is:

.squelch rangevox

Please HTC...

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 07:31:27 PM »
Originally posted by Leslie

Les

Been there...Done that..got an ear full. So many could give 2 cents for what you think. They don't care that kids are online. They don't care that kids maybe watching. They REALLY don't care if your an adult and just had rather not have to listen to it. I cant TELL you how many times I have logged on..went to a base...1st person I saw was a certain one that is INFAMOUS in the Knight Land for his mouth..and it was automatic squelch.

I'm even for .PermaSquelch CussingMoron

It's not like I care if he gives me a check 6 or not...Or even acknowledges my being there. Just a person I never have to listen to.:aok
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 07:35:44 PM »
Im not exactly sure but
Didnt HT say once before this wasnt going to happen?
Forget what the reason was but Im pretty sure he did.

The cussing doesnt really bother me.

The only thing that "bothers" me if you really wanna call it that is so many vox hogs using 20 words to say something that could just as easily be said in 4 And usually about something unimportant
And not shutting uplong enough for anyone to get a word in edgwise with something that might be.
the only Other thing  is I think Squad Vox should override range Vox and not vise versa
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty