Author Topic: MA "merge" - without being shot in the face  (Read 2128 times)

Offline java45

• Zinc Member
jousting idiot
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2005, 06:13:35 PM »
Originally posted by wetrat
I'm suggesting that you don't know what you're talking about, and that it's rather easy to kill anyone in ANY plane if they're a jousting idiot, provided you know how to bait said idiot in to doing something stupid. Fortunately for me, these idiots have already killed themselves if they pull for a HO shot while I'm gaining angles and position.

I chosetoreplyto this particular post inthethread because the term "joustung idiot" appliesto me:lol I have to agree with the premise thus stated that anyone can destroy any plane whileflying any plane if the opponent doesnt know squat about what he is doing ( if you doubt this look at my scores )

I know maybe 1 small tweek above idiot so might survive thougha kill is highly doubtful.

I also agree that the much contended HO shot did and would happen in anyair combat situation ( although a safermethod would have certainly been sought ) Here, in AH, we surpress
fields ( vulch ),we kill downed pilots onheground, we kill planes that are alreadyu out of the fight and on the waydown and yet we complain about the unsportsmanlike act of a head on shot?

Just a thought, seems like hypocrisy tome.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
MA "merge" - without being shot in the face
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2005, 06:57:10 PM »
those in teh know are not complaining about the "unsportsmanship of a HO" but rather mocking the cluelessness behind jousting.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2005, 07:43:16 PM »
I haven't once complained about HO's. I've merely stated repeatedly that I will kill any jousting idiot inside 30 seconds, provided he doesn't run like hell.
Army of Muppets

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2005, 08:04:46 PM »
I think the other day i tried a front quarter/ HO 2 or 3 times, i missed them all- i still killed you in the end though Wetrat.:D
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2005, 09:56:44 PM »
don't recall seeing your name in my buffer for anything other than a kill recently, thrila. and hte only HO I've died to this month was from a tiffy that was flying in the sun while I was on the phone ;)
Army of Muppets

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2005, 06:46:30 AM »
Let me refresh your memory- after you cherry picked me twice on the deck when i was already fighting 1v3 odds, i hunted down every ki84 i saw.  Though i didn't get a kill message because you didn't bail before the 10 or so rooks on my 6 killed me, but i killed you all the same.:D
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2005, 09:17:28 AM »
Originally posted by wetrat
I haven't once complained about HO's. I've merely stated repeatedly that I will kill any jousting idiot inside 30 seconds, provided he doesn't run like hell.

Therein lies the rub.  If he's in a plane that can't turn, then the HO and "run like hell" is a perfectly viable offensive strategy.  If the other guy isn't running, er, extending, then he's trying to turn and if he's turning he's burning E and, yeah, he'll be dead within 30 seconds because the other plane will be turning inside of him, assuming the HO-er is packing more E than the HO-ee.

Fly the A8? Embrace the HO!

Fly the Mossie? Embrace the HO!

Fly the 38J?  Embrace the HO!

Fly the 110?  Embrace the HO!

Fly the B-26?  Embrace the HO! (or squat in the tailgun and pick'em off :lol  )

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2005, 09:29:56 AM »
Originally posted by gofaster
Therein lies the rub.  If he's in a plane that can't turn, then the HO and "run like hell" is a perfectly viable offensive strategy.  If the other guy isn't running, er, extending, then he's trying to turn and if he's turning he's burning E and, yeah, he'll be dead within 30 seconds because the other plane will be turning inside of him, assuming the HO-er is packing more E than the HO-ee.

Fly the B-26?  Embrace the HO! (or squat in the tailgun and pick'em off :lol  )

It's people like you that make this game incredibly boring.  I'll bet you say "embrace the HO!" when the enemy's already tied up with a few of your pals too?

Why HO in an A8?  Have you ever TRIED to turnfight a SpitV in one?  If you meet coalt at about 10k, you certainly have enough potential E in the bank to work with.  I've fought them all the way down to the deck, never getting further away then 800 feet.  They kill me at the deck, but that's because my aim sucks, or they would have been dead much earlier.

Point is, I'll get it one day.  You, won't.  And neither will anyone else that embraces your sophomoric tactics.

Sheesh, its bad enough your HOing everyone...  Then you just take off if you miss, wait for him to get tangled up with someone who'd like to fight, and then come in and try to steal your countryman's kill eh?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 10:02:03 AM by Vudak »
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2005, 11:24:37 AM »
Therein lies the rub.  If he's in a plane that can't turn, then the HO and "run like hell" is a perfectly viable offensive strategy.  

Actually, if I'm in a decent turner and the guy coming at me is in something like a FW or an A20 or a Me110, I not only expect to be HO'd, I dont blame the guy one bit.  He knows I can out turn him if he slows down, and unless he has buddies to distract me I'm probably going to end up on his 6 and kill him.  I expect the HO attempt, I expect him to extend out at least 2k, maybe 3k depending on the plane.  If he wants to fight he'll come back and try again.  But thats something else entirely.  Those planes require a certain style of fighting and I respect that.

The thing that ticks me off is when I'm in something that wont turn that well and intend to setup a BnZ run on my target, only be HO'd by a Zero or a Spit or something along those lines.  People fly some of the best turn fighters in the game and they resort to HO.  I had a guy once in a Spit V vs me in a P40 that did nothing but attempt HO after HO.  No matter how wide I would swing out, he would turn to try to meet me headon.

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2005, 01:20:52 PM »

Here's the rub. Whether boom and zoom attacks are HOs or otherwise is the decision of the boomee. The victim must decide how to meet the attacker. If he chooses to turn into the bandit (a tactic often used in AW) and take a chance on a face shot it's his choice. As a best case scenario he will have not much more than a 50% chance of winning (actually more likely 33% with both getting killed a third outcome).

Very poor odds in my book. This is why I take the subject of head ons to the defender. The HO is more his option than the attacker. He either chose it or failed to avoid it. Ironic, isn't it, that the defender is the one most likely to complain. Of course the HO is often a mutual affair, but even then both players are complicate. Ever heard one hand clapping?

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2005, 02:26:56 PM »
And what if, as the defender, you have just finished with another fight and are wallowing around with no speed and very little alt to work with?  Often you are forced to at least turn in the attacker's direction and try to avoid the HO attempt as best possible.  Giving him time to line up on a bigger profile if I try to turn out of the way is not an option.

Offline TWA500

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2005, 03:31:11 PM »
Im new to AH and not a very good pilot yet but I am trying to learn the tactics. I know about lead turning but thats about all I know.

I have learned that flying a cannon with wings and doing nothing but booming has its flaws. If I miss my shot I will probably lose the fight. The guy in the turn fighter is now on my six chewing on my tail feathers.

I try to avoid the headon if possible, I prefer a good fight because it is more challenging and I can learn from it even if I lose.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2005, 03:42:39 PM »
Originally posted by TWA500
Im new to AH and not a very good pilot yet but I am trying to learn the tactics. I know about lead turning but thats about all I know.

I have learned that flying a cannon with wings and doing nothing but booming has its flaws. If I miss my shot I will probably lose the fight. The guy in the turn fighter is now on my six chewing on my tail feathers.

I try to avoid the headon if possible, I prefer a good fight because it is more challenging and I can learn from it even if I lose.

The reason to avoid the HO is simply that its a low percentage option. in order to hit your target you have to give up that lead turn...since the guy avoiding the HO can do so thru proper ACM you've created a serious disadvantage...many times compounded by the "jousters" decision to "pull thru" the HO which waste's E and add's to the angualar gain of his opponent.

As stated above when the HO is your "best" option...take it. Also don't confuse a front quarter shot with a HO...a good lead turn can generate a front quarter snapshot...just dont "freeze" for the shot...snap off a couple rounds as your pulling thru...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2005, 10:37:01 PM »

Try to HO me in an A8? I avoid your guns, making you bleed E trying to get a shot, and run you down (everything I fly is faster than the A8. so sorry)

Try to HO me in a mossie? LOL... I'll run you down even faster (btw, the mossie is a perfectly capable fighter if you know how to fly)

Why would you HO in a 38? You can out-turn or out-stallfight anything that can outzoom you.

Good luck getting a HO shot off on me with the LW gun ballistics in the 110.. I'll hunt you like a dog and shoot off your fragile tail.

I still don't understand why you're posting in this thread. You're obviously not interested in tactics that will give you a better than 50% chance of winning, and that's what I created this thread for. Because you've "embraced the HO," I'm also willing to propose that you will never be more than an average pilot. This thread is to help those who don't want to remain average.
Army of Muppets

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2005, 02:30:43 AM »
I can usually dodge the noobie ho as you described, but i have problems with the HO experts.
For example FTDEEP shoots me down no matter how i try to avoid it. This is flying P38G, problem is it is a big target.