Author Topic: A question about "hit sprites"  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
A question about "hit sprites"
« on: August 27, 2001, 11:40:00 PM »
OK, I asked this earlier in a different thread but I guess nobody noticed.  

I'll preface this with an example from tonight that plain boggles my mind.  I was up in the 190D9, got into a fight with a 109F4 (I asked him what kind it was after he shot me down).

I started the fight going much faster than him, I blew all my speed going up into a loop on the merge that he just cut inside of.  I ended up behind him and I hit a few times.  The fight sort of degenerated into a "long range" scissors, with both of us making head on passes, followed by about 1.5k of seperation between them.  I DRILLED him on 3 consequtive passes, he did not hit me once.  I was firing both MGs and cannons, and I'd open fire at about 500 yards and stop at around 200 or so to break.  I saw at LEAST 30 hit sprites on those 3 passes alone, ot counting the few hits I'd had earlier.  He flew merrily along until the 3rd pass, where I hit him and saw a lot of dark smoke come pouring out.  He declined to turn around again and headed home with me in pursuit.  After about a minute of pursuit, an enemy C-Hog came down to bounce me, and this also turned into a scissor fight.  I hit him maybe 3 or 4 time with the cannon (wasn't firing MGs) on 2 passes.  On the 3rd pass he got the snapshot on me (he missed), and I declined to continue the fight, instead I broke away from him and started to run.  

As I looked back to see where the C-hog was (he was about 1.3k back), the 109 came swooping down, still trailing smoke.  He ended up on my 6 about 400 yards back.  He fired a burst.  I promptly lost my engine from this burst that was fired at d400 from my dead 6.  This really, really, REALLY pissed me off, especially since this was the same 109 that I friggin pounded on 3 seperate occasions.

So my question is this- What EXACTLY do those hit sprites represent?  1 round hitting?  I don't care if it was a MG or a cannon round hitting, because I know that it was both.  I've fired the MGs and cannons together on numerous occasions, and they will both hit as long as the target isn't more than 350 yards away or so (my convergence is set to 300).  I've killed numerous planes by hitting them in a HO situation with 6-8 "flashes" showing while I was firing both MG's and cannons, so I'm not buying the argument that I ONLY saw MG fire hitting.  Unless my MGs can kill someone with 6-8 hits to the front end of a plane, I hit with both.

I mostly fly 109s and 190s, though I do jump into other planes sometimes.  However, I usually only fly the G10 and the G2, not the F4.  The G2 and the G10 cannot take anywhere NEAR as many hits as I dumped into this 109F4.  Is the 109F4 just 100 times tougher than the G2 and the G10, and nobody told me?
I just want to know what happened here, because the little kid in me is screaming that this guy is cheating, although rationally I know that I isn't the case.

Offline Regular

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2001, 01:25:00 AM »
Does Wine taste better than CHEESE??? CHEEZZY...  :mad:

Offline Regular

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2001, 01:30:00 AM »
<delete that post> it was meant for for a diff post! sorry
  :confused:

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2001, 02:30:00 AM »
Damn, here I thought two people actually made constructive responses to my question. Ah well...

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2001, 04:53:00 AM »
My understanding Urchin is that each sprite represents a hit be it cannon or mg. I do know when there is a lot of lag between players that you can often light them up like a christmas tree and not do any or very little dammage.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2001, 05:55:00 AM »
Urchin, I would like to see the film. Please send it to me at treywells@sbcglobal.net  or post it here
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2001, 06:22:00 AM »
Urchin... if you where doing nose to nose passes perhaps what you thought where "hits" where actually his guns firing?

The V-Sync thing comes to mind as well for rubber bullets.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline air_ReCoile

• Zinc Member
      • http://airsquadron.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2001, 10:09:00 AM »
Very good question Urchin. Been playing AH since a long time now and had several occasions like that as well. Especially because I fly 109's and 190's myself mostly. Another thing I really don't understand is the "one-ping" engine dead hits on the 190. This has been posted many times before too, I must have missed the explanation for it.

Now I'm curious on explanation of the damage modelling for the planes in AH in general, because I think it would explain some things that happened here. Has it been provided to the community before? Is the damage modelling something similar to that of the planes in CFS? (I understand the way it was modelled in CFS)

I would like to see HTC staff comment on this post too.

It might look strange to give flight sim modelling info on this question, but I think that real pilots in WWII had knowledge on real plane damage characteristics or info on the strength of planes and where to hit them to inflict most damage too.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2001, 10:38:00 AM »
Ammo- I'd love to show you the film, except I wasn't taping.  I don't tape every single fight I'm in, in fact I rarely tape them unless I think the fight will be particularly good, or unless I've had trouble with a particular plane type and want to see what I'm doing wrong.  Niether was the case last night.  

So I suppose that in your mind since I don't "have the film" it never happened.  Nothing I can do to change that, maybe you can ask the other guy, although I doubt if he filmed it.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2001, 11:18:00 AM »
you are really settling in as aces high's new resident luftwhiner. good to see the whiner stigma will be stuck to those of us who fly lw birds thanks to the tireless efforts of your kind.

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2001, 12:52:00 PM »
I take umbrage with those who label Urchin a whiner.  He's posted lots of helpful repsonses to other's questions.  
Sure the film would help but he doesn't have it.  So he does the next best thing and describes it.  I don't see it as a whine.  Since the same thing has happened to me, I take it as a serious inquiry.  Is there something we are missing aboput the damage model.  (I don't think wing cannonfire and hit sprites look very much alike, but that may be just me).  Personally, I think the DM is variable just a bit, but that's kind of like real life.  I do a lot of training on the drones offline.  I can make the same pass on three differenet days, and get three differenet results.  Someitmes the target flat out splodes, some times black smoke, something white smoke.  Who knows what the answer is, but I do think it is an approoriate one for Leph or someone from AH to respond to.

:rolleyes:

Cyas Up!

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2001, 01:17:00 PM »
It's good to see you care MRfish.  Now shut up or add something constructive.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2001, 01:18:00 PM »
Also- I can tell the difference between a hit sprite and an enemy gun flashing.  The hit sprites are larger and whiter, plus you can see them through "obstructions", like rails and stuff the in the cockpit.  You can't see an enemy gun firing through obstructions in the cockpit.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2001, 01:45:00 PM »
whatever urchin - you've chosen your path - now let's hear yet another 1500 word essay on how you lost a fight and how unfair it is.
  :rolleyes:

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2001, 01:52:00 PM »
and why don't you post something constructive? in real life 1 bullet could damage your engine or by chance 50 could pass through and damage nothing - i notice you are never inspired from a victory only your losses- you just want to blame your losses on some invisible hand or flaw in the game. grow up and quit being a victim -

and ps - 'shut up' is a little strong language. a good rule is that you shouldn't say anything on the net that you wouldn't say in person. you definitley wouldn't want to say that to me in person.

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: mrfish ]