Author Topic: Closure rates and Energy judgement  (Read 344 times)

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
Closure rates and Energy judgement
« on: August 30, 2001, 07:44:00 PM »
I've realised that one of my biggest failings is in the judgement of an enemy's energy state.

I have merged on many occasions with an oppo believing I had an e advantage but then found out we were co e or I was even lower e than him.   So in this 2D view enviroment how do you gauge an enemy's speed ?? The rate of range change shown on the icon should provide the clue but I haven't managed to associate closure speed with a range change rate.  

Any advice ??

Sparks

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2001, 10:39:00 PM »
Well, this is sort of complicated.  Basically, I just wing it  :).  If the enemy is on your 6 and coming up fast- he has a significant E advantage.  The good news is that you'll probably be able to force an overshoot.  However, you also have to keep the other planes capabilities in mind when evaluating the Energy state of your enemy.

Planes like the P47, FW190 (I'm sure there are other but I can't think of them) can lose speed tremendously quickly in a break turn.  So if one of those planes is coming up your rear, you can't make a break turn and assume it did the trick.  You'll have to do more of that pilot @##$, I usually use a defensive barrel roll or the "flick and flee" (even though I don't flee).

Other planes, like the N1K2, LA7, FW190D9, and Bf109 can accelerate very quickly.  All of them can also climb pretty well, so they can actually gather energy while you make BnZ passes at them.  Eventually this will lead to either a Co-E state, or you in an E-inferior position, which is bad news  :).  

It is really, really hard (for me at least) to judge speed of an enemy in a head on pass, so I endeavor to go as fast as I possibly can, then start a gentle climb while watching their merge move to find out how much energy they've got.  From there I decide what to do.  Hopefully this will be a help, and provide a good starting point for others to correct me  :).

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2001, 03:04:00 AM »
Though I'm only a mediocre pilot, I find that the E management failures usually comes from the attacking pilot forgetting the solid fact:

No matter how much difference in the Energy-Speed status varies between planes, ultimately, ALL WWII planes can go only so far as 450~500 mph maximum. That is the ceiling, the roof top, the unbreakable barrier.

What this means:

* No matter how much more E advantage the attacker has, ultimately, his Energy-Speed exchange ratio hits the limit after the attacking plane has reached 480~500mph. Any left over energy which can not possibly turned into more speed is just plain wasted in to nothingness(lost due to friction, turned into other sorts of energy which is impossible to utilize in a fight - like heat, sound, etc...).

* Using this fact, if the defender chooses to dive and gain speed, the attacker may follow. But the attacker's E status which transits into speed soon meets the limit, and the defender's E status still may build up, since he was much lower in E status than the attacker. This means that the longer time it takes for the attacker to chase and catch up with the diving defender, the difference in Energy level between the attacker and the defender gradually disappears.

* The attacker meets his limit at 480~500 or so. and it stays there(or he sufferes the dire consequences of destroying the plane or losing control). But the defender still can build up his E. So, even though the distance is closing, the E advantage the attacker has, contrary to what the numbers the icon may show, is actually disappearing.

* When the chase takes too long, at the moment where you overshoot the defender, the E advantage may actually be reversed(!!).

Imagine a fight between a high Spitfire and a low P-51D. The Spit finds his prey low, and begins the dive. The 51 pilot finds this out, and tricks the attacker into follwoing him. He may act like he didn't notice, or do gentle moves which look tempting (looking pretty easy to follow).

The 51 pilot, as he monitors the Spit's position, begins a shallow dive, or a circling dive, to trick the attacking Spit pilot into thinking that the 51 didn't build up much E.

As the Spit closes in from behind, the 51 pilot notices that his speed is also passing 400 mph or so - this would mean the Spit is still faster than the 51, but only by little.. and as the Spit comes in shooting range, its speed would be by now near 500, but the defending P-51 is also near 500 now. Spit has already reached its limit(!).

When the Spit moves in to shoot, even the slightest, most gentle turn would casue him to black out. And the Spit overshoots helplessly. Now, the speed difference between the Spit and 51 is very little, the Spit has overshot the target, PLUS the Spit begins to lose E faster than the 51 - the difference in the plane's maximum speed kicks in. The Spit tries to zoom out, but the 51 has already builded up enough E to follow the zoom. The Spit can continue up to the bitter end where he gets his rear end shattered by .50s, or pull off from the climb abruptly, while the 51 continues the zoom, changing the role of attacker and defender - this time 51 goes higher, and Spit is now low.

This imaginary fight between a P-51D and a Spit9 is actually what happens when a novice Boom/Zoomer attempts his attack. The beginning was good. But he should have pulled off when the P-51 started to dive.

This imaginary fight also emphasizes that the advantage of E should not be just simply determined by how higher you are, or whether you are closing in or not, but rather it should be judged by how fast you can hit the target plane before he builds up speed.

The possibility of reversal of E status(and, the reversal of the role of attacker/defender which follows it) is usually higher when a slow plane is the high attacker, and a fast plane the low defender. Meeting a Typhoon or Tempest lower than you isn't exactly my idea of an "easy fight"  :)