Author Topic: Killing the Lightning...  (Read 546 times)

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
Killing the Lightning...
« on: September 04, 2001, 10:00:00 PM »
I would like some advice from all of the aces out there on how to kill a well flown P38.  I have had my tail handed to me a couple of times by good P38 drivers recently and I would like to know what tactics everone else uses against them.  I usually fly energy fighters like the pony and typhoon so tips related to these aircraft are most welcome...

BLUEmako

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Killing the Lightning...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2001, 10:46:00 PM »
See what your aircraft can do better than the P-38 Lightning. Lightning falls somewhat shorter than its historic fame here in AH, and many P-38 drivers complain that it is porked.

It has a climb better than most US aircraft, but still outclassed by most others. It was faster than most of its adversaries historically, but it isn't a particularly fast aircraft in AH plane set. Has mediocre turning power and while it can dramatically increase with combat flaps, it bleeds Energy severely. Has good roll rate under high speed, but when speed over 400, the plane compresses violently. Has very good fire power..

These characteristics would suggest when in defense, you might want to dive and extend. And in offense, energy fighters would prefer using highly energetic vertical moves rather than 109-ish 'hybrid' BnZ styles, while turn fighters would consider sticking to its tail like a magnet.

P-51 turns about simular to 38, also has good roll rate under high speed, but has much higher top speed and can dive much much better. And while climb rate isn't exactly 'phenomenal', once you have speed you can pratically follow every sort of zoom P-38s would do. Would be pretty easy for the Mustang to win if the pilot skills are about the same between the 51 pilot and 38 pilot, if u can resist temptations and follow strict BnZ rules.

Typhies are much faster, and can maintain very high speed under 20k. Typhie turn power seems a bit weaker than 38 to me. But the problem is the roll rate. If the 38 pilot's a decent one, the chances of him outmaneuvering Typhie is high. Try to keep engagements with P-38s lower than 15k alt, and keep the BnZ tactics more strict and firm than when you are flying the 51.

Better tips than this sort of common advice is beyond me  :)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Killing the Lightning...
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2001, 07:26:00 AM »
Looks like pretty good advice Kweassa.

La7 eats p38's pretty nicely, especially if p38 is coalt or lower. Duck the first couple of HO's then ride em till they out of E.

Coalt in an energy fighter with Tac or one of the other good p38 pilots at the controls. You can figure your in for one heck of a fight.

Duck the HO's with barrel rolls, diving under, etc. Fly lag pursuit & try to get them to burn more E than you do. P38 suffers from compression so if you get in big trouble try diving out of it.

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
Killing the Lightning...
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2001, 06:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ghosth:
Coalt in an energy fighter with Tac or one of the other good p38 pilots at the controls. You can figure your in for one heck of a fight.

Tac is one of the guys who handed me my tail.  :)

I was in a pony with an E advantage and I blew it thinking th P38 was easy meat.  After a few passes he scissorred me (very nicely too I might add) and as I tried to extend: pinpingpingcrack.

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
Killing the Lightning...
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2001, 05:06:00 PM »
el punto

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Killing the Lightning...
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2001, 05:50:00 PM »
That is excellent Kweassa.

P-38 has many severe weaknesses vs most of the planeset.

1)It compresses badly, so if you in a plane that handles past 420 mph, go for a dive and get away.

2)Believe it or not, its a hard plane to "lose E" on "purpose". Most planes being sciscored by a 38 just have to hard rudder and cut engine and bingo! 38 is on their 12 oc with low E and as you all like it : with the planform facing you. Do this only if your plane has an accel similar or better than the 38. Otherwise the 38 will extend flaps and turn you over.

3)P38 will not retain E past 400mph below 20k. So if you see a 38 dive away to escape, keep your alt or do a shallow dive to keep up at least 400mph. The 38 will blow its alt to get to 490 mph... will stay at that speed for about 10 seconds and then, if below 20k, it will slow down to 340'ish a few seconds after that (maybe a bit more if 38 still has WEP, but it will slow to below 400 guaranteed). You will notice that because you will sudenly begin to gain on it quickly.

4) 38's blind spots are low 7oc, low 5 oc (tails block view), low 9oc and low 3 oc (big wings). Ive seen many planes try to sneak up on me from below 6 not realizing ive been seeing them for miles away.

5)Low rate of roll at slow speeds (below 380ish mph). This only helps you if the 38 is real close to you, you can flip flop the 38 into losing you. However, the 38 CAN match and stay on your 6 by using rudder to help it roll (it can roll as fast a jug like that) a couple of times. And many pilots out there just cut engine and let the flipfloping plane lose its E and dance left to right on its gunsight while he sprays and watches the fighter fly into his bullets. In short, do it only when the 38 is at d300 or closer.

6)38 has a good accel from 0 to 200mph. Dont get into a slowfight with it unless you have a good accel or a turnfighter like zeke or spit. You said you fly p-51 and tiffie, the ONLY times ive been able to shoot them down when 1-1 is when the tiffie or pony try to do turn with me or stay in close proximity (aka co-e within d2.0). 38 will out-accel the p51 and will out-turn/climb the tiffie. Do one pass on the 38, extend to d5.0, climb and turn then come back and repeat. If you dont the 38 will cut inside your turn and spray you.

7)38 has very poor y-axis control when above 350mph. Many 109's and spits and p-51 usually dive to speed, and, if they run out of alt to dive to gain more speed, they pull up hard on me and split-S on the top of their climb before ive even gotten my nose above the horizon. Makes a very annoying situation for the P-38.

8) finally, its a plane made of glass. Take any shot no matter how far fetched it is. 1 ping will cripple it almost guaranteed. You can be assured you will either kill 1 engine or blow an elevator (at which point the 38 is SCREWED because it will nose up or roll about 40% of what it would normally roll/nose up. And thats BAD) or rip off the tails.

Offline Booky

• Copper Member
Killing the Lightning...
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2001, 11:11:00 PM »
Tac!!!! What the hell are you doing? your going to get me killed more than I already do.   :eek:

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Killing the Lightning...
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2001, 01:47:00 AM »
p38 sucks

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
Killing the Lightning...
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2001, 09:56:00 AM »
LOL Fester!   :D
How do you really feel?

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Killing the Lightning...
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2001, 12:36:00 PM »
1.avoid HOs
2.bite it's arse off  :)
yeah,that's right,attack it from behind.
It has a weak arse arse  :D

Offline Boozer

• Copper Member
Killing the Lightning...
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2001, 05:52:00 PM »
Ping 1 engine  :)

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
Killing the Lightning...
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2001, 06:23:00 PM »
TAC...

Shut yur mouth dude...  :rolleyes:

Just kidding... I think the biggest dis-advantage to the 38 (other than it being made of glass, which I hope is a prog bug that will be fixed with 1.08) is It is  Extremely difficult to maintain good SA due to the large wings.  I have had a number of Spit and Pony jocks nail me from low 3 and 9 oclock, without me ever seeing them...
  :eek:

I love the plane, and still fly it even with its glass status... The other day I had one ping from Shane kill both engines at the same time...  :(

BOOT