Author Topic: at my wits end.............  (Read 685 times)

Offline dogsnot

• Zinc Member
at my wits end.............
« on: March 10, 2005, 05:53:48 PM »
Ok, decided to upgrage my system from an xp2500 nforce2 to an athlon 64.  I got a cheaper msi 754 mobo athon 64 3700+ and a gig of mushkin ram. Every thing was new in the system except a 9600xt that I moved over.  Never could get the board stabe and have never been a fan of via chipsets....anyhow could fly all day offline, but as soon as getting online, within 5 minutes it would lock up and shoot me to the desktop. SOOOOO to make long story longer I did some revamping

Bought a DFI lanparty 250 nforce 3  450 watt powerscource and kept all the rest.  Again, thing will run all day  doing basic stuff. but wont run any games.  All dircet x 9c test fine. All latest drivers etc.  new powersource so cant be that , ram test good ...any suggestions????  Processor runs about 85 f to 100f so dont think heat is an issue.   Help a poor brother out.  Im suffering withdrawls.

Dogsnot

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 07:58:38 PM »
More than likely either a driver issue or a problem with your internet connection.  Either send Skuzzy a copy of your DirectX Diagnostic or post it in the Tech Support forum so we can see what drivers you have and hardware settings.

Also are you running any firewall or A/V?  Does the motherboard have the built in firewall?  Do you notice connection problems to the AH servers, or does it let you log in fine and then crash?

Another thing, have you actually tested the RAM?  Doubt thats the culprit, but it doesnt hurt to make sure.  Bad RAM will cause what you describe.  

Make sure you dont have any IRQ conflicts.  Especially check your video and sound card IRQ's and make sure they arent shared with any other major equipment (most esp. with the network card or the modem).

Are you overclocking anything?  Manually setting anything to do with your memory or CPU?  If so, try using the automatic settings.

Good luck

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 09:21:22 AM »
Another thing to look at is powersupply although I think your problem is in the migration. Did you just swap your HD over or did you do a F-disk then reload everything cleanly?

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline dogsnot

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 09:43:11 AM »
Power supply, dvd rom, ram , cpu hard drive all new. Was a complete new install.  I have noticed though that in the bios, my idle cpu temp is 52c but using a windows based temp check shows 32c as does a sensor that I have on the heatsink.  Wondering now if this is heat related??  Thoughts?

Thanks for the help

Dogsnot

Will post dxdiag shortly

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 10:15:02 AM »
Are you using the built in lan connection or a separate ethernet card?

What firewall are you using?

Which OS?

Offline dogsnot

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 10:31:46 AM »
built in lan , windows xp sp2  works fine in all areas but gaming.  Will work with certain games.....maybe less taxing??  .....such as dangerous waters and full spectrum warrior.    Aces hi will run  about 5 min and than crash.  Keep em coming guys

Dogsnot

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 11:27:45 AM »
did you check to see if theres a updated driver  for your lan ?  or a bios flash required ?

Do you have to configure your firewall yet to allow in/out traffic to htc's server ?
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 09:48:06 PM »
I'm guessing its heat related since its a "load" issue. if your getting a 52C idel temp you'll be over 60 5 min into AH. Since your options are 32C and 52C...I'd bet on 52 since no system (that I know of) will idle at 32C unless its liquid cooled...

What temp is your "auto shutoff" set for...the bios will act based on its reading...not any other sensor...I'm betting you have a 60C default...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 12:43:03 AM »
You did use thermal paste right? You did remove the plastic cover from the thermal pad before installing it right? :eek:

Offline dogsnot

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 09:26:53 AM »
I thought the white stuff in the tube was jelley....went well with a bagel.;)    Yes Arctic silver no thermal pad.....this is my third build so I am not a newbie.   Seems it is a heat issue, can only go less than five minutes in prime 95 before test failure.  Well ordered an uber thermalright xp-90 heatpipe and fan.  That should fix all my ills.   I also purchased a chipset cooler, so all the bases should be covered.

thanks for the help

dogsnot

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 01:59:52 PM »
So the one common thing apart from your problem seems to be the video card.
Does the fan work on it ?
Do you have another video card you could drop in and try ?
I used to have lock ups under load problems in the past with an Nvidia 4200 and it ended up being the cooling sink for the video fan had worked loose.
It looked ok but once i gave it a little tweek it became obvious it was not doing its job as it moved around.
I removed it used AS3 and it was as good as new again.
Anyway might be worth a look.

Offline dogsnot

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005, 07:08:54 PM »
thanks cav, did that yesterday.  all was good, but all arctic silver never hurt anything.  Reseated the card and still no joy.  Its got to be the cpu heatsink.  Well new one will be here on monday, so hope it helps

Thanks again

dog

Offline buzkill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 08:09:41 AM »
and just say NO to sp2

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 08:59:22 AM »
Why buzkill? It's a lot more secure and I've had no probs whatsoever in all my 3 computers.

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 09:03:11 AM »
Works fine for me.