Author Topic: Silent Hunter III Review  (Read 16382 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 04:21:54 AM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
I checked, and in yurop, the release date for SH3  is March 18th...

yup...  damnit, I want it today :o

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 06:40:11 AM »
It'll be shipped tomorrow (if i'm lucky), meaning it won't be here before tuesday/wednesday.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2005, 11:06:15 AM »
Played a good few hours yesterday..

i have to agree the game is great...  From the meats and other stuff hanging in fore control room to the crew(freaking helmsman on the left keeps eyeballing me.) to blasted aircraft parts out of the air its freaking awesome...

Ship explosions are incredible complete with secondaries that during the nightime light up the sky...

Appears to be extremely open ended, gramaphone etc...  (currently got das boat soundtrack going across the deck..)

http://207.44.164.159/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=28146

(subsim.com )

Get this game..

All I know its currently sold out on Ubi (wtf the manufacturer gets sold out..) and seems to be flying off the shelves..  had to negotiate with EB games to find one in town with the frenzy..

DoctorYo

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 02:07:57 PM »
With a little bit more time at the Con,

I found a few things I dont like.

1-Very Little Info on how to operate Damage Control. And it took me a while to understand. You go to Damage Control Screen, And it shows a Cutaway of the Boat, Beneathe the Cutaway, are little Sailor Icons, Each one represents a crewman. You drag and drop, crewman where needed for Damage Control.

2-No other interior views of the boat. Only the Command Room is available, Would like to see other sections of the boat modeled and crewed.

3-Exterior view of your own boat, You can select and follow other vessels around except your own. You have to keep moving the camera to keep up with the boat.

Other than that. This game is outstanding.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2005, 03:12:54 PM »
"2-No other interior views of the boat. Only the Command Room is available, Would like to see other sections of the boat modeled and crewed. "

forward / aft control room..  (think by default your in the forward one..  when you click to where the meats are (the door) hanging then you goto the aft..)

Radio room... is there... (with crewman to pester)

Sonar also.... (also with crewman, clickable..)

conning tower internal.... has all working gauges..  

move your mouse around the maincontrol room (f2 key)

when it changes color to red/orange then you can mess with whatever you are selecting...  by selecting doors / portholes you get to the other areas of the ship..

Its not the whole ship...  but the radio / sonar room is a nice touch..  and again i think someone (or even the developers will make a patch) will create a working torpedo room {i want to see people struggling with freaking torps das boat style}/ captains quarters /engine etc...

this game is lightyears ahead of SH2 in playability.  Just cruising around the harbor was fun because the wave effects etc.  best ocean effects in a game ive seen..  ( since pt 109 1.0 spectrum holobyte mac 20+ years ago..)

Devs put out a patch today...  fixes issues with nvidia cards etc...  

Subsim forums got tonnage ;)  of information.

http://www.subsim.com

DoctorYo

PS:  The camera is alittle goofy in external mode is a con I have to agree with..  once used to it, its alittle better. (clicking left click to go into mouse look when combined with the numberpad keys you can get around alright.)

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2005, 01:40:05 PM »
I'd wait before buying.

so far I've got this huge white light, like an extra sun or a very large lighthouse that follows my boat everywhere.  it obscures everything for about 50 degrees of the horizon to the SE.

patch didn't fix it.

was told it would go away if I started game from the DVD instead of the HD .exe,  no help either.

concidering the 'quality' of UBI-softs tech suport on SH2, I'd recomend holding off a bit until we see if any of these problems are going to be addressed or if we will have to wait until a 3rd party fixes it for the for free,  again.

hopefully I'm just being pessimistic about it, since this game seems to have a lot of potential, and I've had bigger release bugs on other games.  but I'm still a bit gunshy from my last UBI sub-sim.

if the tech suport is as dis-interested as it was on sh2, this will be the last UBI product I buy.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2005, 03:03:24 PM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
I'd wait before buying.

so far I've got this huge white light, like an extra sun or a very large lighthouse that follows my boat everywhere.  it obscures everything for about 50 degrees of the horizon to the SE.

patch didn't fix it.

was told it would go away if I started game from the DVD instead of the HD .exe,  no help either.

Did you try using Auto Play?

Go to My Computer, Right Click where you SHIII disk is, select Autoplay.

This cured my white blob problem.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2005, 05:01:39 PM »
Ahhh.. finally got it....
Also got my first kill out of a 1990 ton smallish ship, which required all my torps :I
I think I missed two, then one bounced into the bottom, fourth torpedo blew up right in its arse, but it was still floating after two hours and I decided to dump the last torpedo in the middle of the ship, breaking it in half.
Also dumped all the 20mm AA ammo at it while reloading torps.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2005, 09:02:30 PM »
WOW what an amazing experience, simply incredible anyone with even the slightest interest in subs or ww2 in general would be mad not to be playing this right now. By far best subsim/sim I've ever played.

Incredible,detail,crew,damage,AI,graphics and the ocean.. :eek:

...-Gixer

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2005, 09:36:44 PM »
Gixer what Particle Setting do you play at?

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2005, 11:56:47 PM »
Originally posted by Nefarious
Gixer what Particle Setting do you play at?

100% AA & AF 2x

...-Gixer

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2005, 12:53:42 AM »
Whats the campaign like Gixer?

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2005, 01:07:46 AM »
Whops....

don't try to delete the games.
I don't know what I did, but I tried to delete my very first games and instead of deleting it, I lost all the other saves and only the first mission was left :eek:

Oh well, only had the one small ship, so I might as well do the 3 missions over again!
I just had a nice crew tho, one officer had 3 different specialties.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2005, 01:31:41 AM »
Still no shipping info from amazon, I'm going to start crying and stomping my feet... I hope it'll help :o
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2005, 01:48:03 AM »
Originally posted by -tronski-
Whats the campaign like Gixer?

Tronsky

Excellent,

I just died im my first campaign, on my 8th Patrol, destroyer came out of the rain squall and rammed me whle I was trying to close in on a convoy in the channel.

Campaign is excellent by far best I've seen in a sub sim other then wolfpacks don't exist but apparently this has been hinted on for a addon.

Even without it the campaigns are as they should be depending on the year and seem very realistic with volumes of traffic,convoys etc. Forget about racking up 150,000 plus tons in your first year.

This makes every other sub sim/sim look and play crap in comparisson imho. Just wait until you come across the searchlights and starshells.

There's just too much to talk about and too little time right now.  :D

...-Gixer