Author Topic: Silent Hunter III Review  (Read 16650 times)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #255 on: March 29, 2005, 02:15:17 PM »
http://uboat.net/types/xxi.htm

Also they had hydrolic torpedo reload system that enabled the commander to reload all 6 tubes in something like 10 minutes which was even less than it took to reload one tube on the VIIC normally.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #256 on: March 29, 2005, 03:05:50 PM »
The Type 21, was ground breaking when it was released.

And most of the Allied Powers copied the design almost to the bolt, after the war.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Nath_____

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.beatdownposse.com
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #257 on: March 29, 2005, 03:23:14 PM »
thx for explanation!

Offline Nath_____

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.beatdownposse.com
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #258 on: March 29, 2005, 03:42:52 PM »
Another question, if Type XXI were being built in 1943, why didn't any of them see combat why did it take until September 1944 for the first one to be commissioned?  Lack of crews?

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #259 on: March 29, 2005, 05:37:41 PM »
Earliest I could find:

U-2501 XXI
Laid down 3 Apr, 1944    Blohm & Voss, Hamburg
Commissioned 27 Jun, 1944

Guess the manufacturing took some time like always with the ships; with Graf Spee the time between the laid down and comissioning was over 3 years.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #260 on: March 29, 2005, 05:54:46 PM »
Originally posted by moose
ive seen a remarkable improvement since i trained a warrent officer for the sonar suite, but they're still morons. i'd toss an officer in there if i could for sure to straighten em out.

If the experience bar is right across to the right and you have an experienced sonar guy. Using a later model Sonar (obviously the earliest models aren't that great) dive to 20 meters stop the engines and listen.

Then see if he is still a moron. Or if your execting your sonar guy trying to pick out targets 10 nm away while at full speed.

...-Gixer

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #261 on: March 29, 2005, 06:02:15 PM »
There was no prototype for most of the technology and it was a new production method for the germans. They really were very quick to get to service consdering who revolutionary there where and the situation that Germany was in.

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #262 on: March 30, 2005, 01:07:36 AM »
Originally posted by Gixer
If the experience bar is right across to the right and you have an experienced sonar guy. Using a later model Sonar (obviously the earliest models aren't that great) dive to 20 meters stop the engines and listen.

Then see if he is still a moron. Or if your execting your sonar guy trying to pick out targets 10 nm away while at full speed.

...-Gixer

at the time, i had two warrent officers with the radio qual. my strategy is to dive to 25m, all stop, and listen. this is with the updated hydrophones in a VIIB, as well.

the instance i speak of was in the middle of a storm with no visibility, and i got a radio contact while surfaced.. i immediately headed that way and when time compression dropped to 8 i knew he was in the direct area. my gripe lies in the fact that when i dove down to try and get a fix on him the hydrophone operator could not tell range for squat, even when stopped. after i realized that he was close quarters, i pulled to all stop and i was still showing a 3000m discrepency in how far he really was

ive got two chiefs now trained, so hopefully that will give me better luck.
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #263 on: March 30, 2005, 07:54:48 AM »
They type XXI spent a long time in development because it was not a priority until late 1942 to replace the VII. In 43 they started to rush the development but the propulsion was originally supposed to be powered by hydrogen peroxide. If you look at the sub hull in cross section you will see that it is actully two cylinders stacked one on top of the other and joined together. Originally the bottom cylinder was supposed to be filled with the Hydrogen Peroxide fuel.

If it had been built that way it would have had an incredible speed (for the day) of over 30 knots submerged but a relatively short range. That did not suit the mission requirements but somewhere in 43 a bright engineer realized that if you filled the bottom cylinder with batteries then you would have a boat with amazing underwater range.

It was put into production and was designed so that sections could be built at different locations and then mated together in final assembly. Thus it could be built in a very rapid time. It actually was taken from prototype to production in very rapid time and with relatively few teething problems.

Like all subs the training time to get a crew up to speed was long with that result that the first war patrols did not happen to 1945 when the writing was on the wall regarding the war.

One XXI actually did stalk an allied warship underwater and had a firing solution on it but did not pull the trigger as the command for the surrender had already been sent.

It left and was never even detected by the oblivious warship.

All of this is from memory but I can look up exact figures if anyone is interested.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #264 on: March 30, 2005, 09:53:28 AM »
Originally posted by Habu

One XXI actually did stalk an allied warship underwater and had a firing solution on it but did not pull the trigger as the command for the surrender had already been sent.

It left and was never even detected by the oblivious warship.

All of this is from memory but I can look up exact figures if anyone is interested.

Adalbert Schnee was the Captain. You can recognise his conning tower art in game as the Snowman.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #265 on: March 30, 2005, 11:50:52 AM »
Got Knights Cross with Oak Leaves for 49000 Tons last Mission, Every officer except for one has Iron Cross.

Upgraded to TypeVII/C

Offline takeda

• Nickel Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #266 on: March 30, 2005, 12:21:44 PM »
Have been fiddling with voice commands today... lots of fun, but lots of problems too

My horrible german pronunciation befuddles the voice recongnition software and leads to sad misunderstandings, like for example ordering "up periscope" with just 4 meters under the keel in Dutch coastal waters and have the crew perform a crash dive. :lol

And having too short words like "feuer" or "los" for the torpedos can be a problem, because just breathing on the mic can release one :)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #267 on: March 30, 2005, 12:34:03 PM »
Takeda, you can edit it to the words you like (English?) in most softwares, or simpler just edit the command "Los!" to "Torpedo loss" (2 words).
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #268 on: March 30, 2005, 12:45:32 PM »
When I upgrade to a Type VIIB from the Type IIa what happens to my crew? Does it move over complete? Do I get extra guys for the extra numbers needed or do I have to have enough prestige left over to recruite them?

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #269 on: March 30, 2005, 02:04:12 PM »
You just fill up ranks from the available crews.

IIRC type XXI did use batteries because the Hydrogen Peroxide was HIGHLY corrosive and all tanks and fuel lines would have to be lined with rubber (this was scarce material at that time; I believe butyl rubber, developed by German engineers in fourties because of lack of rubber, didn't work) and even then it was more than risky way to power a submarine.