Author Topic: Hunter S  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
Hunter S
« on: March 26, 2005, 03:09:42 PM »
...........an old salty dog named Hunter S. Thompson was stewing about the sorry state of affairs in America.

The journalist and author fumed: " It is genuinely incredible. The U.S. Treasury is empty, we are losing that stupid, fraudulent chickencrap War in Iraq, and every country in the world except a handful of Corrupt Brits despises us. We are losers, and that is the one unforgivable sin in America."

"Beyond that, we have lost the respect of the world and lost two disastrous wars in three years. Afghanistan is lost, Iraq is a permanent war Zone, our national Economy is crashing all around us, the Pentagon's "war strategy" has failed miserably, nobody has any money to spend, and our once-mighty U.S. America is paralyzed by Mutinies in Iraq and even Fort Bragg."

"The American nation is in the worst condition I can remember in my lifetime, and our prospects for the immediate future are even worse. I am surprised and embarrassed to be a part of the first American generation to leave the country in far worse shape than it was when we first came into it. Our highway system is crumbling, our police are dishonest, our children are poor, our vaunted Social Security, once the envy of the world, has been looted and neglected and destroyed by the same gang of ignorant greed-crazed bastards who brought us Vietnam, Afghanistan, the disastrous Gaza Strip and ignominious defeat all over the world. The Stock Market will never come back, our Armies will never again be No. 1, and our children will drink filthy water for the rest of our lives."

He ended his diatribe by declaring " Big Darkness Come Soon"

Didn't realize he checked himself out on such a note......

Saw alot of BS media stuff didn't see this .......  

is that any wonder?

----------------------------------

sad to hear

:( never give up

But I guess he was makeing a statement

was it worth a statement?.... proably not .... but would be shallow to think it the only reason.

source - http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0325-32.htm

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Hunter S
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 03:35:13 PM »
The ravings of a madman, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

A drug addicted moron who died sucking on the barrel of a .45 (the easy way out for a true loser) is not someone who I'd get my information or ideas from. I fail to see what gets people so entranced with the clown, I've read his crap and it is nothing I'd get fired up about.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Hunter S
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 05:32:41 PM »
lol, he sounds almost exactly like a couple of people who post here on this BBS.

If he posted that here, he would have had is arse handed to him on almost every statement he made.

What a total loser.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Hunter S
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 05:47:36 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
lol, he sounds almost exactly like a couple of people who post here on this BBS.

If he posted that here, he would have had is arse handed to him on almost every statement he made.

What a total loser.

Ya know Nuke, sometimes you post something I agree with and it scares the living bejebus outa me! :eek:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 06:48:26 PM by Maverick »
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 06:08:29 PM »
HST, like anyone else, was a human. Humans err, have a mixture of good ideas and bad ideas, etc. I see no reason to see people in "black and white" ways.

While I'd agree that taken literally, the things in this quote are way over the top and therefore not accurate, one must understand HST's style if one is to understand what he means. The guy illustrates (or did) by way of rabid exaggeration. Between the lines, if you go back and look what's quoted here, are some truths, things that I am concerned about even though I'd say that literally what's quoted is BS.

I am disappointed in anyone who judges what choices another makes regarding how to dispose of his/her own life. How can you judge unless you have intimate knowledge of their situation and motivations? Saying that suicide is 100% the act of a loser is IMO an expression of ignorance - ignorance of what other people feel, think, want, and IMO the principle of freedom of choice. Its one of those "you had to be there" kinda things.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Hunter S
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 06:21:48 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE

What a total loser.

says the guy who makes models...er...almost makes models.

(almost doesnt cut it)

:aok
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Hunter S
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 06:24:59 PM »
Originally posted by JB88
says the guy who makes models...er...almost makes models.

(almost doesnt cut it)

:aok
as usual, you have zero idea what you are talking about.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Hunter S
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 06:31:02 PM »
yep.

you are right nuke.

hey, why don't you post em again for all of us to see?  

;)
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 08:21:38 PM »
He seems like an educated version of a common streetcorner doomsday prophet. Well, maybe more like a doomsday prophet who could afford a word processor instead of a cardboard sign. The message is about the same once you scrape off the prose.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Hunter S
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 08:38:16 PM »
i don't think that he ever used a word processor.  so far as i know he was old school...still used a typewriter.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Hunter S
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 09:26:18 PM »
Here's hoping for more "statements" of that type from the Deth-to-Amreeka crowd.

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
Hunter S
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 09:34:31 PM »
i don't think that he ever used a word processor.  so far as i know he was old school...still used a typewriter.

It was a good old American IBM...then he stuck the Barrel of a good old US colt 45 in his pie hole and the rest is good old American History. At least he didn't shop at Walmart.

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2005, 09:49:15 PM »

Why? Nostalgia?

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Hunter S
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 02:19:55 AM »
i wouldnt know.  

i would guess it had something to do with familiarity.

BB has lucille.

my laptop's name is betty.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2005, 09:28:06 AM »
Originally posted by VOR
He seems like an educated version of a common streetcorner doomsday prophet. Well, maybe more like a doomsday prophet who could afford a word processor instead of a cardboard sign. The message is about the same once you scrape off the prose.

Its quite reasonable for you to say that.

Having been a reader of HST for many many years, it was my impression that he deliberately used hyperbole as his distinct style, rather than as his version of literal truth. He left it to the reader to form impressions from what he wrote, and derive an understanding from those impressions...crediting the reader with enough intelligence to recognize hyperbole when seeing it.

YMMV, of course.

culero (can read between lines)
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey