Author Topic: goats and ricers  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Geary420

• Silver Member
goats and ricers
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2005, 01:06:30 AM »
Steve... Iron head L98 out of a vette??(with only 230)  Must be an 85 or 86 me thinks? What heads u running now?  Also have u tried drag radials at all?  Or you could alway go wit the zr-1s, those 17X11's are o' so sexy :)

Offline Geary420

• Silver Member
goats and ricers
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2005, 01:11:08 AM »
Oh yea, munkii... How did u get that t-56 to work with your truck??  I though the vette trannys(transaxle) wouldn't work for a swap??  Always window shoppin for a t-56 so any info would be appreciated.

Offline Munkii

• Nickel Member
goats and ricers
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2005, 01:30:30 AM »
Technically the tranny is out of a WS6.  I needed a custom aluminum driveshaft and a reinforced rear-end. I put disc brakes on it too.  I wasted a lot of money... damn I love it though. ;)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
goats and ricers
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2005, 01:33:14 AM »
Geary... you know your motors.  Yup '86, early.  Late model year 86's  switched to aluminum heads but still only made a very weak 235 HP.  The shop that put together my bottom end claims it will make 475 w/ my new set up(pre NOS). My buddy who is helping build said I should expect something more like 450 though.  All I know is I've put a lot of loot into this motor.  I had an ls6 but a friend of mine blew his up and begged me to sell him mine, knowing that I had mentioned rebuilding my l98.

I wanted AFR heads but they were 6-8 weeks out so I went w/ Dart heads. I am gonna put a 200 dual stage NOS kit on it(dunno if I'll ever use it) so I put in a steel crank and forged pistons... H beam rods... changed the cam etc.  I even yanked the injection for an old fashioned demon carb. Edelbrock intake.... rpm performer.

I think I have to buy some kind of hub adapter to get 17's on my car. I've seen them advertised in Ecklers so I assume I have to have them.  I'd love to have some big fat meats on the back though... ya 17'X11's.  Think I need hub adapters?
I am thinking of buyin some old fashioned cragars and then putting Mickey T's on the back for track night.  I think Munkii should try the same!  

Munkii sounds like you started from scratch on the drive train.

lol.

Munkii, I bet the motor looks cool stuffed into that lil s10.. have a picture of the engine?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Munkii

• Nickel Member
goats and ricers
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2005, 01:56:46 AM »
Originally posted by Steve
Munkii, I bet the motor looks cool stuffed into that lil s10.. have a picture of the engine?

I don't have a digi cam, and my cell phones cam sucks for detail. Looks just like this.  Except I have red intake/valve covers. instead of green.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
goats and ricers
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2005, 02:10:39 AM »
very nice.... crowded heheheh

Offline Geary420

• Silver Member
goats and ricers
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2005, 02:19:12 AM »
Ok, I Love my L98... but to give up an LS6:eek: (insert pimp slap here):)   as for the weels there are different offsets for 84-87, and 88 and up but they make em for your car.. (Black is t3h pimp!)   As for your setup sounds killer, I would have stuck with the FI and upgraded but a carb will probably be awesome with that engine.  Why did u stick with the stock l98 block though, with a 200 shot I think your deffinately pushing it with a 2 bolt block.  Anyways, youll have to post some times for us once you get everything squared away!

Geary42O

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
goats and ricers
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2005, 02:23:03 AM »
Why did u stick with the stock l98 block though,

You know us 'vette guys... part numbers match, etc.  Although after the block was decked, had to restamp the numbers in.  Could have done that to any block.  Had I thought of this I would have gone w/ another block.  And you are right again... it's a 2 bolt block.

Tough to give up on the ls6 but it is a really good friend who has always helped me out.  How do I know what offset I have?   Is the offset different based on year only?  I sure appreciate your help.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
goats and ricers
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2005, 02:25:33 AM »
Geary, what do you think about that E bay bid????.... I know nothing about Sumitomo tires.  I have firehawks now on my 16 inch rims.

Offline Geary420

• Silver Member
goats and ricers
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2005, 03:14:45 AM »
Ok, heres what the tirerack has to say about those tires. I don't think they look verry impressive, but I have no personal experience with that brand.  The next step up in that big of a tire is pretty spendy. As for the price its the same as buying the wheels and tires seperate so you basically just get free mounting.  You need 38mm front and 36 or 36.5mm rear offset from what the wheel listing say, but like i said you could find out for sure on a corvete forrum.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
goats and ricers
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2005, 05:43:14 AM »
ASTAC,

Yea, you're a domestic ricer :)

I have a tall sitting height so I can't even fit into most cars that general size/shape.  Saturns, the cougar, some hyundai, etc.  My head hits the ceiling even with the seatback reclined.  I don't fit into the rear seat of any car where the roofline slopes down over the rear seats, and I'm only around 5'11".

Keep that thing out of Calif...  They'll bust ya for the window tint in a heartbeat.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
goats and ricers
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2005, 09:21:00 AM »
well... I don't claim to be an expert on all cars but I know a little something about a few of em... I have built a lot of motors and drivetrains and did a bunch of swaps..

If there was anthing not accurate about the honda stuff I wouldn't know it, If you pointed out a toyota and told me it was a civic I wouldn't know if you were lying or not.   I simply have no interest in em.  

I have both an elky and a Healey... they handle differently but pull about the same g's.   Do not believe that muscle cars can't handle.   Hotchkiss and bilstein and fast ratio steering and big brakes and good tires make a mockery of that common myth.  elkies have better weight distribution than a two door hardtop... I can plant your mug against the passenger window so hard in a turn that you will get a neck strain if you try to move back.

my buddy has done a couple of the s10 small block conversions... one on a pickup and one on a blazer s10

he bought both for a couple hundred bucks with blown up 4 or 6 bangers and dumped 350's in em... easy as hell.  they make the conversion parts... he used a camaro doner last time and the guts from the five speed went right into the old blazer five speed case.   At 300-3300 these are not flyweights... my elky for instance weighs 3700 even with an iron head big block.   Healey about 2100 with a small block.

lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
goats and ricers
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2005, 09:27:15 AM »
oh.. he has $1500 in the blazer.

he has the factory air and a hyperchip and the camaro guts in the five speed... he used a girdle support on the 10 bolt rear and it is holding up well.   We went for a ride in it last thursday after we put a centerforce clutch in the elky and welded up all the clutch linkage I had bent and broke.

lazs

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
goats and ricers
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2005, 09:29:10 AM »
Originally posted by eagl
ASTAC,

Yea, you're a domestic ricer :)

I have a tall sitting height so I can't even fit into most cars that general size/shape.  Saturns, the cougar, some hyundai, etc.  My head hits the ceiling even with the seatback reclined.  I don't fit into the rear seat of any car where the roofline slopes down over the rear seats, and I'm only around 5'11".

Keep that thing out of Calif...  They'll bust ya for the window tint in a heartbeat.

I get a hrd time about the tint here...and I'm almost too big for the car at 6'1"..but it sure is fun to drive.
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline superpug1

• Probation
  • Silver Member
goats and ricers
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2005, 02:14:03 PM »
I beat a ricer once. I was in my 1987 C10, only has a 305 (been saving up for a new throttle body and intake man). He was in some late 80s model honda that sounded like it had bad gas. The light turned green we went. hahaha, i dont think a 305 is that strong of an engine, but i won. Does anyone know how much hp and torque a 1987 C10 with a 305 does? I cant find that stuff anywhere.:(