Author Topic: More nuggets from WW2OL  (Read 3010 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2001, 02:20:00 AM »
Was replying to Fscott's thread title.

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2001, 03:00:00 AM »
Well, I gave a brief look as beta tester. the FM still needs tuning. You can turn at 90deg bank, pulling hard (and I mean *hard*) *forever* without stalling, the only problem is the blackout. Even with the 109E. I cannot imagine which kind of low level furballs will happen  ;)

BTW the fps is very low and you need plenty of RAM and horsepower to make it run smoothly. Definitely, they need some more time ..
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2001, 03:14:00 AM »
Roumours says that fighting broke out over the last copys of WWIIOL in the stores.

It apperantly sold out pretty fast...

The rats are expecting around 5000 online in the weekend (was over 500 on yesterday only).
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2001, 03:29:00 AM »
dang! sorry funkedup
 :)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2001, 07:16:00 AM »
Well Caligula, alot of the people in this thread KNOW what they are talking about, because they were beta testers.

**Proud member of the Damned 200**

And no thats not any reference to the "Damned" squadron that has been in all the flight sims. Hint for Caligula, its a reference to a group of WWIIOL closed beta testers.

I think the Flight portion of WWIIOL has alot of potential.  But for me at least its just potential at this point, due to extreme system requirements.

I have a pretty healthy system.  Athlon Tbird 1.3Ghz, Radeon 32meg DDR, 196 megs PC133 RAM, Sound Blaster Live, and a full CH Pro throttle/Fighterstick/Rudders setup.

And I can not fly online consistently in WWIIOL due to screen freezes while the game is acessing the HD for virtual memory. Fps is ok, usually in the mid-30's, but with the screen freezes its mostly unplayable for me while online. If you don't have a minimum of 256 megs of memory don't even try to fly, and realistically if you don't have 512+ megs of RAM your flying experience will be unenjoyable.

Also load times are down right ridiculous. For my machine, it takes from the moment of my ingame death between 10-12 minutes (actually tested with a stopwatch) to respawn and gain control of my vehicle/trooper/aircraft. 2-3 minutes of that time is reloading the world/arena/vehicle selection portion of the FE, and then 5-8 minutes of time while it actually loads me into the gameworld.

I don't agree with some of the design decisions, like the non-movable head view system (no direct six view is ok with me), but with a few more months of work, it can potentially be alot of fun if you don't mind being limited to about 6 or so very early war planes. Righ now you only have the Spit I, Bf-109E, and the Stuka.

And before anyone starts touting the WWIIOL FM as being the greatest thing since sliced bread, I challenge you too do a simple comparitive test.

Take a Spit I (or any plane that you will find in other games) up to a specific altitude, lets say 1,000ft. and record your airspeed. Now apply full rudder (either direction it doesn't matter) and use enough aileron to keep your wings level. Maintain that for 10 seconds and then record your airspeed.

Repeat that test in WB's, AH, CFS2, or any other game and tell me what your comparitive results are.

WWIIOL has alot of potential, and has been fun for me in the armor/infantry realm. In fact I will probably buy it, if they can ever get their memory requirements down to what would be considered a more "industry norm". No, I'm not just gonna upgrage my system further for WWIIOL.

<S>! to the Rats, they've done alot and I hope they succeed. But due to forces beyond their control, WWIIOL has come out of the Oven halfbaked and needing alot of work.

Give it a good six months and it will be a hell of a game  :)

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: Vermillion ]

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2001, 07:59:00 AM »
Has anyone been able to remap the throttle to the keyboard or calibrate their joystick?  I find the manual to be very lacking.  And trying to edit that config file manually as the readme suggests has been a nightmare.  Unfortunately thier forums have been down since release.

I am disappointed in how buggy the release is.  I am not permitted to discuss the events up to the release but I am surprised it was released with as many bugs as it currently has.  And I hope they do something to improve the framerate, I can't see how anyone without a PIII can play it.  All of those that said "the frame rate is so low because they are playing with debug on" were obviously wrong.

Offline Hess

• Zinc Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2001, 08:03:00 AM »
I installed the patch this am and went online... I could not enter any battles bummer..  a message from the system just said they were working on it..  Graphics still not good IMHO.. Load time still sucks, cockpit interior still behind AH, no hat view even thought I set it up, sights are ok, tanks are very nice but I like to fly. The planes are easy to fly for me but over all I still prefer AH.. I'll test over my 3 day weekend and decide if I want to keep the game... So fare it's not measuring up.. It appears to be another rushed game in need of lots of repair... I'm bothered by being a paying beta tester!  Ok I have vented.. Now off to work.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2001, 08:33:00 AM »
Verm Said  
But due to forces beyond their control, WWIIOL has come out of the Oven halfbaked and needing alot of work.

Do I detect the fowl stench of an impatient investor group? I figured as much. Looks like Red Baron 2 all over again. Wake me up when the memory problems are gone.

Btw, Hi Verm!  :) <S>

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2001, 08:40:00 AM »
banana call me tonight or this weekend.

When my machine died, I lost all my phone numbers and such.

I've sent a couple of "messages" to you thru some others in the Corps, but I guess they didn't get too you.

Offline Graywolf

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flibble.org/~tim
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2001, 08:46:00 AM »
Some quick flight model notes on WWIIOnline (yeas I have played  ;)

Stalls.

These don't exist, at least not at they do in real life. Fly too slowly, or pull too many G's and the left wing dips and the plane just rolls. No sideslip, no mushing, just feels like you gave it full left stick. Release the stick the plane instantly recovers. No spins, no need to nose down to recover speed.

Sideslip.

I can't get more than about 3 degrees of slideslip on full rudder, makes aiming a little different. Also sideslip doesn't affect forward speed at all.

G tollerance.

I've seen a steady 7 G without blackout. Blackouts and redouts are fast and harsh you you're pulling the stick about (which is good IMO) if you're gentle it is possible ride the grey out.

Manueverability and energy retention.

It feels like you can turn forever, not had chance to do and real testing yet, so no hard figures.

Good points.

Sounds are nice, thje landscape is awesome, but the view range is rather small so at 20,000' there is just a small circle of land below you. The icons fade in and out slowly so you have to keep looking at someone to work out if they're a friendly or not. No range numbers just a rough guide (a circle that is complete at full range, semi-circle at medium range, bit of arc at close rnage).
The 109 has the leading edge slats that poop out at low speed, unfortunately to low to be any use, landing at just above 'stall' speed The pop out after my wheels touch down =)

The Game.

Overall a very nice tank and infantry sim, with added planesi (in the same why that Aces High is a flight sim with adfded tanks and stuff IYSWIM). At least that's where I feel it is today, where it ends up (as with any online game) is another matter.

As for me. I see no reason why I shouldn't play both games =)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2001, 08:52:00 AM »
tried it three times offline so far...

Load up time takes forever, when I try to escape past intro (which is chopppy and graphics stink) it kills program and puts me back on desktop. In the 109e, the gunsight is way right, can't seem to line it up right. Hat doesn't work. Like the blackouts how they kill the sound too but game locked up two times in blackout. Like the canopy open/close and latch noise but what real use is it? Haven't been able to d/l 63 mb "patch" yet and their server has been down every time I've tried it.

Does anyone know if it'll support multi game controllers like AH, ie X36 combo with CH USB peds?
And I thought AH had an Un-user friendly interface  :)

Not impressed with planes, haven't tried anything else as if the planes don't work this puppy is going to the recycle bin..

keep up the good work AH

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline NHFoxtro

• Copper Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2001, 09:27:00 AM »
I got it yesturday, and will try it tonight. I'm glad I here the infantry and tanks and sounds are ok. I'm looking foward to the infantry role,been playing flight sims for a while now.Lets see what its like to be on the ground throwing granades and shooting rifles. I'm going to stay with AH no matter what happens because AH has been moving foward at a conciderable rate, and I look foward to the future with them as well.  ;)  

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2001, 10:03:00 AM »
Because it appears that SOMEONE has created yet ANOTHER thread, I have decided to move my post there.

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: Mickey1992 ]