Author Topic: More nuggets from WW2OL  (Read 3005 times)

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« on: June 06, 2001, 02:10:00 PM »
Some more interesting features, coolness, eye candy...

- Clouds are very similar to WB 3.0.  Several layers to hide in.

- Fire your cannons and watch as your plane nudges rearward as your sitting on the field with talbrake off.  

- Doppler effect is gonna be wild in combat. In general the sounds are top notch, with an emphasis put on atmosphere.

- Subtle smoke trails from firing guns in wings.

- Contrails at the tip of wings in high G manuevers. Yes, WW2 could create contrails...

- ailerons and elevators move realistically. They do not automatically go to full deflection intstantly.

- gunnery is HARD.  Excellent trajectory of rounds makes sharpshooting difficult. Pull just a slight G, and your tracers will have a smooth flowing realistic arc.

- excellent representation of crosshairs.  have to be seen in realtime to be believed.

- multiple views. No '6' view. Inside cockpit looks convincing.

- Inertia. Now this is interesting. Seems everything affects how your plane flys.  Squeeze the trigger and you feel it.  everything just feels so smooth and "right" in the modelling.

I really didn't think WW2OL would turn out to be so realistic a sim.  I had the opinion that it would be more arcadish than sim.  Initially I bought it for the ground combat, but now I can't stop flying.  

Some issues need looked at but doubt you'll see many enhancements.  The spin modelling already seems too easy. Not arcadish easy, but just..uhm, mediocre easy.  The 109E does not go into a spin at all even when you pull the stick all the way back. Could be a bug.

Anyway, I'm hooked. PERIOD.

fscott

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: fscott ]

Offline DB603

• Nickel Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2001, 02:15:00 PM »
S!

Nice to hear opinions of WW2OL.About Me109E-4.It was not very prone to spin and recovery was easy,so iti s correct.I just wait and see how it evolves though before buying it.

Offline Thud

• Nickel Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2001, 03:04:00 PM »
And after part 148 of FScott's WWIIOL lobby campaign he is herby officially awarded the title and corresponding rank of WWIIOL head-Cheerleader.

Nobody makes those pom-pom's move like you!

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2001, 03:10:00 PM »
AH does the same thing with regards to the control surfaces. Unless you mean controls don't move to full deflection at varying speeds.

How's it play Online?
C466, 392MB RAM, V5 5500, I won't be playing WW2Ol for another year or more anyway.
-SW

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2001, 03:14:00 PM »
Fire your cannons and watch as your plane nudges rearward as your sitting on the field with talbrake off.

AH does this as well.

ailerons and elevators move realistically. They do not automatically go to full deflection intstantly.

AH does this as well.

multiple views. No '6' view. Inside cockpit looks convincing.

My concern with this is that they may over restrict the views.  Pilots did not buckle themselves in so tight that they could not twist their shoulders to the side to assist with visability towards the rear.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2001, 03:16:00 PM »
Throw in a non-working rear view mirror and you've got, um....

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2001, 03:19:00 PM »
The initial reports I've read (here and AGW, since the WWIIOl boards are down to "increase bandwidth for the patches"-- read: so more people will buy the game and less people can give bug reports at a central location ;-) lead me to believe that everyone is still in the "ooo aaa" stage.

1 week, we'll see how it's moving along.
-SW

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2001, 03:23:00 PM »
Hey I'm not comparing WW2OL to AH.  All I get is flames for telling you folks like it is. I ain't enhancing anything at all.  Not once have I flamed AH, yet all you fellas are ditching WW2OL and you DONT EVEN HAVE IT.

AH is great, but so is WW2OL.  I won't post any more info aout WW2OL, including how it flys online. If you wanna know, go buy it yourself and see.  Thought you guys wanted to know what WW2OL was like, guess not.

fscott

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by fscott:
The spin modelling already seems too easy. Not arcadish easy, but just..uhm, mediocre easy.  The 109E does not go into a spin at all even when you pull the stick all the way back. Could be a bug.

fscott

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: fscott ]

LOL Fscott... try telling that to my 109E which got caught in a flat inverted spin last night.

Offline ~Caligula~

• Nickel Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2001, 03:34:00 PM »
You people are screwed up!!!
bashing on a game You`ve never played,and bashing people for trying it out,and being kind enough to let us know about it?
WHAT THE F*CK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?
What kind of nazis are you all?
I`m outta here too after the rumble,one of the main reason is,the punk elitist nazis that litter this game..

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: ~Caligula~ ]

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: ~Caligula~ ]

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2001, 03:36:00 PM »
Don't see where I bashed fscott or the game at all.

It just came out, enevitably all of the reports will be the "ooo aaa".

Once the newness wears off, (1 week) we'll find out how it really is... that and it should be fully patched and tested out online.
-SW

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: SWulfe ]

Offline ~Caligula~

• Nickel Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2001, 03:39:00 PM »
Every time a new build of AH comes out it`s buggy,and needs to be patched .That`s how it works.I`m actually surprised to find out,You don`t know about it..

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2001, 03:41:00 PM »
"Clouds are very similar to WB 3.0.  Several layers to hide in."

I hate WB III's clouds. They look like the smoke off the stage at an Ozzy Osbourne concert  :(

"Doppler effect is gonna be wild in combat. In general the sounds are top notch, with an emphasis put on atmosphere."

I miss this from the earlier version of AH, as limited to the engine sound as it was.

"Contrails at the tip of wings in high G manuevers. Yes, WW2 could create contrails..."

Cool feature.

"gunnery is HARD.  Excellent trajectory of rounds makes sharpshooting difficult. Pull just a slight G, and your tracers will have a smooth flowing realistic arc."

does the ammo disappear after XXX yards artificially? I'll watch the boards for reports of kills and thier ranges.

"No '6' view."

Snork.  One step away from realism.

"Inertia. Now this is interesting. Seems everything affects how your plane flys. Squeeze the trigger and you feel it. Everything just feels so smooth and "right" in the modelling."

Can't relate to this one. Everything should not effect the way your plane flies. Unless it's another Hollywood effect like blurry gauges and no six view because that is what some people think is real or cool.

"Anyway, I'm hooked. PERIOD. Fscott"

Be good. And straffe an Opel or two full of Axis soldiers for me ok?  ;)

-Westy

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2001, 03:42:00 PM »
FScott,

But how is it online???

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
More nuggets from WW2OL
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2001, 03:42:00 PM »
Sure is, but it's still playable online... is this? I dunno

How's the FM? Only heard a few vague reports... I dunno

How's the gameplay? it's still WW2Offline, so I dunno

These 3 main points, I dunno...
-SW