Author Topic: How far do we really expect this to go?  (Read 769 times)

Offline newguy2

• Zinc Member
How far do we really expect this to go?
« on: September 13, 2001, 05:23:00 AM »
Hi all,

I'm an old WB, pre CK AW grunt that stop flying a few years ago. I still like to read the boards from time to time.

If I remember my history right. In 1972, after the Israeli athletes were killed in Germany during the olympic games. (I was eighteen at the time) The Israeli Mossad, hunted down and killed the terrorist than were involved in that attack. A movie was made about it. Sword of something I believe?

Israel had their revenge. But it had little or no effect on future terrorism.  
Killing Bin Laden and every terrorist in the mideast will not bring an end to it. Slow it down, sure. Until the next group takes over. With most of the mideast counties outright supporting these groups. You can be sure it will resurface and continue.

Which brings me to the topic. With WWII, there was only one way to end the war. Remove the Axis governments. It appears to me, that the same thing will have to apply here. The only sure way to remove the save haven for the terrorist, is to remove the goverments that support them. As with Iraq, no matter how much we would like it to, bombing and embargos are not going to accomplish this. It's going to take U.S. ground forces, occupying some or all of these counties.

Nukes at this stage, are not going to be an option. No U.S. president will open that Pandora box first.

Unfortunately, The overall number of standing Army divisions have been greatly reduced over the past ten years. Unlike after Pearl Harbour, I haven't seen any reports of large numbers of young people, enlisting in the Armed Forces. If my scenario for the future hold's up. Will a draft be need to reman divisions that were stood down and for combat replacements?

I would hope we can fight this war with what we have now. But the more I think about it, the less sure I am.

God bless us all.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2001, 09:35:00 AM »
This generation( 18-25 guys) have just experienced the Pearl Harbor for their generation.  Will our government rise to the level of the WWII generation's?  Will the ones that will have to fight this war on the ground go willingly as the WWII generation did?

I don't know.

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2001, 09:52:00 AM »
The nations of the world must realise that these organisations pose a threat to world stablity. I think they do NOW. Thus they must be willing to always treat terrorists and thier supporters as rabid dogs that must be elimanted. If this happens organised terrorism will most likely be ethier exterminated or dramaticly cut down upon. You will never totaly control it though.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2001, 10:05:00 AM »
I dont think a draft will be used nor any more personnel needs to be recruited.

NATO s with us. Combined power makes up for the numbers and equipment that would have to be recruited/purchased.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2001, 10:17:00 AM »
I wasn't really surprised to hear that recruiters are seeing a massive increase of volunteers for military service