Author Topic: OCC Bike Auction benefit for US Troops  (Read 608 times)

Offline CMC Airboss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
OCC Bike Auction benefit for US Troops
« on: May 02, 2005, 01:58:42 PM »

One Auction – two builds!
We're just building bikes of our own flavor. Paulie's building a bike that, y'know, he designed and I'm building a bike that I designed. Mine's more of a seventies style and his is more a late model style bike. — Paul Teutul Senior

The proceeds from the sale of these bikes, and many other items consigned by Orange County Choppers, will be directed towards the families of our troops who have been seriously wounded or killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. More specifically, the charities are the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, which provides unrestricted grants for the families of soldiers recently killed in action, and the Fisher House Foundation, a home away from home for families of seriously wounded soldiers being treated in military hospitals. Links to the charities and the show are listed below.

http://www.guernseys.com/

Offline CMC Airboss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 01:16:39 PM »
bump

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 02:41:53 PM »
I have to admit the bike from Paul Sr really looks lame.

I wonder if the auction price will reflect the difference in the skill of Paul Jr and Paul Sr.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 03:14:29 PM »
I kinda like the way his bike looks but them I also like the way bikes looked in that old early 40's style and on into the early 50's as well. The "choppers" today all look pretty much the same with different paint jobs.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 04:00:15 PM »
I agree that it looks really bad.  However, I don't think that means that Paul Sr. is bad at building bikes.  I think it just means that he got a dumb idea in his head and ran with it.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 04:18:04 PM »
yup, just more proof that JR is the one really keeping that company in business / on TV
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 05:07:35 PM »
If it was a Jesse James bike from West Coast Choppers I'd be more interested...  They're much more hand-made and customized.  OCC pretty much picks "custom" catalog parts and adds some details.  They've done some nice work but it's nowhere near the level that West Coast Choppers puts out.  As an example, there's no way in hell OCC could have made the bike that Shaq had custom made.  They had to hand-make everything on that bike because it was a totally odd size.  Most of the core stuff on an OCC bike is made elsewhere and assembled at OCC.

Not that I could do that, but it's sort of like comparing the spice girls to Mozart.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 05:22:09 PM »
Originally posted by eagl
If it was a Jesse James bike from West Coast Choppers I'd be more interested...  They're much more hand-made and customized.  OCC pretty much picks "custom" catalog parts and adds some details.  
i'd agree with that untill the last few bikes they have made.

with their new shop and tools, they are fabricating much more stuff, heck i haveseen paul JR hammering and fabricating tanks from scratch lately.

they are getting better

but... yes they are nowhere's near the level of jesse james. that copper bike he built, and going to learn to hammer copper for the tank and stuff was cool as heck. he's gotta be the most talented fabricator out there. even the "biker buildoff's" use mostly pre made parts, exception indian larry (rest in peace)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 06:08:35 PM »
Originally posted by eagl
If it was a Jesse James bike from West Coast Choppers I'd be more interested...  They're much more hand-made and customized.  OCC pretty much picks "custom" catalog parts and adds some details.  They've done some nice work but it's nowhere near the level that West Coast Choppers puts out.  As an example, there's no way in hell OCC could have made the bike that Shaq had custom made.  They had to hand-make everything on that bike because it was a totally odd size.  Most of the core stuff on an OCC bike is made elsewhere and assembled at OCC.

Not that I could do that, but it's sort of like comparing the spice girls to Mozart.

I think it's sound business to not make parts but outsource their fabrication to your specs.  Especially if you are making a bike under the time constraints that they are under.

Don't get me wrong Jesse James makes some great bikes....he only makes about 20 a year, if that.  (he does this on purpose to keep them "cool")

IIRC OCC Iron works (ran by paul Sr's other son) makes alot of their frames and parts.  Like I said, sound business strategy.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 11:31:15 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
IIRC OCC Iron works (ran by paul Sr's other son) makes alot of their frames and parts.  Like I said, sound business strategy.
actually "milwaukee iron" which they use alot is in Lynchburg, Virginia

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 11:34:13 PM »
The white trash version of "bling bling" and spinners.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 12:26:47 AM »
Originally posted by JB73
actually "milwaukee iron" which they use alot is in Lynchburg, Virginia

I read that after Danny took over OC Ironworks they started doing their frames in house.  They also started doing alot of their own custom parts.

I know they did at one point in time use Milawaukee Iron.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 02:36:31 AM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
The white trash version of "bling bling" and spinners.

:D

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 06:04:17 AM »
Like the fuel tank in the red one, looks like it will go atleast 10 miles before needing filling up. Then there's the handling and brakes. LOL

....-Gixer

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 09:15:42 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. It looks like it holds maybe 4 liters max.

Lets summerize the relative points on Paul Sr bike.

Looks nerdy.
Impractical.
No range.

I would guess it will sell for a quarter what the other bike goes for.

However knowing Paul Sr. When he sees no one bidding on it he will submit his own secret bid at the last minute to bump up the price.