Author Topic: Most underated plane - 109f  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Most underated plane - 109f
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 09:51:19 AM »
Originally posted by slimm50
The D25, you say? ........hmmmm......I'm gonn ahave to give it a good try. Thanks for spillin th beans.

its slower than the d11 though.....

the d25 is just like the g6 is in the 109 series.... a heavyer g2 with no other "real" improvements hence its slower, turns worse etc etc.....
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 10:35:48 AM »
Mc202 is most underrated plane.

It can outfly most of the mid and later-war planes, but not the late uber rides.

Thing with it that nobody cares for is you have to get a good guns solution and fire til the enemy is dead. What with hizookas in 1-ping kills from any angle, nobody wants to use 2x50cal for kills. But the plane itself is good. Mc205 I don't like as much (something about it) but it competes better with later war rides (better, not on even ground)

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 10:38:46 AM »
the d25 is just like the g6 is in the 109 series.... a heavyer g2 with no other "real" improvements hence its slower, turns worse etc etc.....

I wouldnt really agree.

I cant put my fingers on exactly what it is that makes it feel better then the D40 but... it feels like it manouvers better, its a bit more unstable which could be what I like..

Im to much of a dweeb to yet be able to exactly say what it is I like better about it.

Though compared to the D11 its the better accel and better views that make me like it better.

Tex

Offline XrightyX

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 10:44:29 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Mc202 is most underrated plane.

Mc205 I don't like as much (something about it) but it competes better with later war rides (better, not on even ground)

I'll go with the 205 as the most underrated plane.  Can climb out of most problems.  Solid gun package (think it matches the D-9s guns).  I don't think it turns like the 202 does.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 12:44:58 PM »
205 has better than D9's gun package. I rate the Italian guns as second only to hispanos. About par with US M2, better than all IJA/N stuff, way better than LW stuff (IMHO).

I think it has more power so it just wants to turn wider... 202 has much less power so you slush through a turn at slower speed (which, like the P40, will get you a tighter turn radius sometimes), but that doesn't mean it turns any less, just turns without slowing so much hehhehheh

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005, 01:02:27 PM »
Uhh the wing cannon in C205 are identical to german MG151 20mm cannon in 190.

Offline Magoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2005, 01:18:32 PM »
Franz is a good plane - about the comparison to Pellik's 38, the 109F is a much smaller target.

Underrated IMHO is the La5. It's only major drawback is it's range (and that annoying slat sound).

one of the best climb rates below 10K (where most of the fights end up)

Great roll rate

accelerates with the best

Excellent speed below 10K

Out turns anything it can't out run (just lay off the rudder when your slow)

Middle of the road E retention (giving good high speed turns)

Plenty of ammo with nose mounted guns that eliminate convergence in the horizontal plane. Also, the inaccuracy of the cannons relative to most other 20MMs is minimized since the new gunnery model has been in place - which dictates geting in close anyway.

It's not an La7:D

Should beat a 109F most fights

I'd also bring up the F6F but I don't think it's underrated as much as it's just not flown much anymore. It seems tougher than a Jug and I was surprised to find that it's marginally faster than a spit9 on the deck.

Magoo
A bandit on your six is better than no bandit at all!

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2005, 01:21:53 PM »
Like Grun said, wing cannon are Mg 151/20's just like the D9. D9 has 13mm mg's compared to the 205's 12.7mm. D9 guns are marginally better ;)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2005, 01:28:15 PM »
The 109F is a fine plane, the problem for me is I can't see very well out of that junglejim they call a cockpit.  Its also not true that the G2 and G6 are the same.  G6 has better visibility and I don't think the G2 has the 30mm option in the nose.  

F6F is a great ride, but I don't think its underestimated with an ENY of 20.  LA5 is also a good ride for how it stacks in the MA, but has a nasty snap roll at 175MPH, the guns seem innacurrate with a high level of bullet drop, there are only 2 cannons with a weaker punch than many planes with 2 cannons.  

190A5 is pretty underestimated in my opinion.  Cannons out the ear and it will out scissor anything around.  Very fun to fly.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2005, 01:36:11 PM »
Mossie!!:D

High E bleed + quad nose 20mm is great for overshoots.:)
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2005, 01:45:10 PM »
I fly the 98% of the time, but occasionaly I like to fly something for a change after spending hour-2 hours in it.  I tried the franz and I liked except I didnt like its range.  I then went to G2 and it seems to me that the G2 moves better than the franz and is faster and higher climb rate.  So I have been flying the G2 instead of the franz for a change.

However I think the most underrated plane is the spit and hurri 1s.  When BoB was going on, I had been practicing with the spit 1 because that was what my squad was flying (no 152 Hyderbred Squad) was chosen to fly.  After flying it in the MA, I found that the bullets were deadly to the 51s, spits, and la7s.  The bullets would literally tear apart the wings after about pouring 400 rounds into it.  But as times went on after BoB people had been flying more and more BnZ planes like the 51s, 190s, la7s, and 109s and making 1 pass and run so the spit 1 had no chance for a fight with these planes because most planes out ran the spit 1.  The only place it was good was furballs but my spit 1 35% of the time got out of it to land.

Hoarach
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline JB82

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2005, 01:54:41 PM »
Originally posted by Howitzer
 LA5 is also a good ride for how it stacks in the MA, but has a nasty snap roll at 175MPH, the guns seem innacurrate with a high level of bullet drop, there are only 2 cannons with a weaker punch than many planes with 2 cannons.  

Don't forget how cold it is in Russia.  I heard the reason for the extreme amount of play in the cannons is so they won't freeze up.

The Bf109F-4 is my second favorite plane, with the Dora being number one.

Typo
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 04:56:32 PM by JB82 »

Offline Magoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2005, 01:55:14 PM »
LMAO - Spits (all Spits) are like fat girls and mopeds...both alot of fun to ride till your friends see you on one:lol

Magoo
A bandit on your six is better than no bandit at all!

Offline Schaden

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2005, 04:36:20 AM »
109F is uber for 41, struggles a bit vs the spit 5 untill the 190 comes out then it's the Spit5's turn to struggle.

Offline DaddyAck

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2005, 09:05:52 AM »
I personally like the 109F,  While the small caliber munitions in the cowling are only good for light duty, its 20mm is what does the deed.  I love this plane:aok