Author Topic: new P-47 and P-51 variants.  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
new P-47 and P-51 variants.
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2005, 09:23:09 PM »
Any new plane is freakin sweet.  WTG HTC staff, not too often are developers so far ahead they add new features.   Add whatever you want, I'll fly it.  :aok

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2005, 09:40:25 PM »
I, for one, hope that after the pony/jug the SPITS get remodeled? Why, dear god, why, you ask? Because with every update so far has come a little FM tweaking. And the damn SpitV needs to have its boost reduced, the weak SpitIX needs to have its increased, and the Spit14.. well that could stand to lose a little instability, but that's just opinion.

We have the uber later-era spitV "covering/posing" as a early/mid war ride. We have our late supposedly "better" spit9 being the worst of the lot with a weak engine and not representing the best spit9's out there. As such the spitV outflies the Spit9.

Take a spitv offline. Full gas. On the deck hit wep til you max out (303, 309mph, something like that). Turn eng off. See how long it takes to slow down. Do the same on Spit9. With the SAME airframe, the SpitV glides/retains E 3x as long, and I read a comment that the spit9 dived better than the spitV and zoomed better (minor changes, it could retain E better, etc). Yet our SpitV can hang on its nose like a helo, it can deploy flaps and keep nose up 45degrees or more (and keep it steady on a target, no less) down til 45mph, then in less than 1.5 seconds after dropping the nose it will be travelling at 180mph again. EVERY film in AH2 I have of spitVs hovering shows this. They retain guns lock til 45mph (+/- 5) then the instant they drop nose down/stall they're back to 185mph in under 2 seconds.

spitV needs reworking big time, which is why I say "Do them next!! PLEASE DEAR GOD! NEXT!"

Edit: screw the whiners :P there are plenty of dweeb rides out there. SpitV has been one too long. Make it realistic!

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2005, 09:43:26 PM »
Where were the first P-51s used?

I'm only loosely informed on this, so I'm a bit curious.

IIRC the very first P-51B took flight in '42(thus, IL2/FB/AEP lists this as a '42 plane.. which is nonsense), but they were in USAAF service since December '43. So it's a bit hard pressed to claim that the P-51B is really a '43 plane, although technically it would be undeniable.

Then did the USAAF ever use P-51As? Or did they use the A-36? When did the RAF start using Mustang Is and it what numbers? How many P-51As were used by the USAAF prior to 1944?

Ppl are asking for more variants, which would always be a good thing, but I'm not sure if there's any more P-51s that would fill the needs of both the ToD and the MA. A Malcom Hood canopy P-51B would be cool.. but maybe it could be a hangar setup? Pay something like 2 perk point?

If the ToD starts out with the USAAF offensive of '43, What planes would they use? P-38G/H + P-47C is my guess. Maybe a teeney bit of P-51Bs and P-47D-5s in winter?

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2005, 10:34:53 PM »
Just out of curiosity, Kweassa, why do you want to perk a P-51b canopy  variant?  As far as I am concerned, the difference is basically cosmetic.  Anyone who knows how to use "move" commands has minimal problems with canopy framing, so that can't be it.

354th FG started using P-51bs in UK 12/43, according to my Osprey book.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 10:51:51 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2005, 10:42:43 PM »
Well, just for the variety I guess.

A P-51B without Malcom Hood is disadvantaged to the P-51B with Malcom Hood, so naturally, a pure razorback P-51B would go extinct. Maybe pay 1 or 2 perks to differentiate the Malcomed and non-Malcomed 51Bs?

Or, if the canopy is modelled in really good, which obviously would cause reduction in speed, thus a P-51B with Malcom Hood would maybe lose 3~5mph of its top speed..?? In this case no perks or anything would be required.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2005, 10:48:06 PM »
Non-Malcolm (note the "l") P-51bs might still be of interest, depending on which skins are modeled.  Reason I want the Malcolm versions is that I hope someone will model the "Deacon" 51b from the Squadron series, and/or the F.O. "Kidd" Hofer 51b from the Osprey "Mustang Aces of the Eighth Air Force" book, illustration #2.  Maybe you will skin these; always liked your skins...  :-)

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2005, 01:12:52 PM »
Originally posted by paulieb
I think the Mustang IA would be an excellent addition to the planeset, whether it be for the MA or for TOD. An Allison engined P-51 with 4 Hispanos... enough firepower to make an impact, but underpowered enough that it would not be an uber plane unless flown by an expert, IMO. Pretty decent speed on the deck, but nothing like an LA-7 or 109-G10.

It would get perked like a C Hog I imagine.  Still, it would be a pretty interesting combination.  I would certainly like to see it.

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2005, 01:16:26 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Well, just for the variety I guess.

A P-51B without Malcom Hood is disadvantaged to the P-51B with Malcom Hood, so naturally, a pure razorback P-51B would go extinct. Maybe pay 1 or 2 perks to differentiate the Malcomed and non-Malcomed 51Bs?

Or, if the canopy is modelled in really good, which obviously would cause reduction in speed, thus a P-51B with Malcom Hood would maybe lose 3~5mph of its top speed..?? In this case no perks or anything would be required.

Kewassa Buddy.

Except for your almost religious quest for a "Perk Mecca"  you mostly have pretty good stuff to say :)

I don't think that people going to the Malcom Hooded Pony B because of the slightly better views is in itself justification for even considering a perk price.

But that is just my $.02

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2005, 01:54:46 PM »
The A-36 didn't fly its first combat sorties until the attacks on Pantelleria in the Med on June, '43.

The first A-36A flew on Sept '42 but deliveries of the A-36A weren't completed until March '42.

The 27th and 86th Bombardment Groups (Dive) were equipped with the A-36A.

The 27th and the 86th arrived North Africa in April '43 They didn't see combat until the attacks on Pantelleria in June.

In late '41 the RAF ordered 150 Mustangs.

RAF designated them as Mustang IA's (4 x hispanos) but only received 93. The other 57 were kept by the USAAF and had 4 50s.

I think all the RAF IA's were assigned to recce groups.

The first Mustang (Mk1, no hispanos) aerial victory didn't occur until Aug '42 over or near  Dieppe. IIRC it was a Recce group that claimed the kill.

The XP-51B didn't fly until Nov '42 and it wasn't until mid '43 that P-51Bs and Cs arrived in service.

So I would think that for ToD we would see something like:

P-36A - June '43 (Med / North Africa)

P-51 Mk1 - late '42

P-51 B / C -  mid '43

There's no reason to perk a malcolm hooded P-51 that I see. However I can envision the perking of the D if they add more variants of P-51.

For the record I think the D-9 and G-10 (if we get a G-14 at some point) ought to be perked as well.

I had always thought that as the number of planes increased the perk plane list would expand to cover the late and / or rare aircraft.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2005, 07:04:06 PM »

Except for your almost religious quest for a "Perk Mecca" you mostly have pretty good stuff to say

Infidel !!

"There is no God but Perkah, and Kweassa is his prophet!"

:D

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2005, 12:49:04 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Infidel !!

"There is no God but Perkah, and Kweassa is his prophet!"

:D

I nearly split a gut! :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2005, 01:23:40 AM »
Regarding the production numbers of the 190s, what's that bit about the B and G models? How were those compared to the As and F we have now?
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech