Author Topic: Hot off the press, blow dealt to Gore camp:  (Read 895 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member

LJK Raubvogel

Hot off the press, blow dealt to Gore camp:
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2000, 01:02:00 PM »
I think they finally realized they weren't going to get away with just counting contested ballots. However, I would guess that Gore's lawyers are already under the desk of every judge in Floriduh.

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2000, 01:59:00 PM »
Yep, you're right Raub. Florida law, as if that means anything now, states that in a hand recount, ALL votes must be recounted.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2000, 02:15:00 PM »
Ya know, admittingly, a week ago I stated to everyone I spoke with on the subject this:

"I don't care  who wins at this point, I just want the law and the consitution upheld"...

Well, yesterday it was circumvented, but I'm still keeping the faith that LAW prevails, without LAW, you have a bunch of folks keeping guns oiled not for game hunting, but for hunting "game"....if you know what I mean.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2000, 04:26:00 PM »
There will be no resort to violence in this matter, unless you count well-tanned lawyers in Armani suits and Gucci loafers hurling limp-wristed invective at each other as "violence."  

That is not our way. Period.

However, this is one sad course of events for this Nation. I am truly embarassed by the selfish circus that is going on in Florida....on both sides of the aisle.

Is this a glimpse of the future that either one of these political hacks plans for us? If so, I hope I can sleep for four years straight!!

I fear that when historians look to write the story of the downfall of the "American Experiment" this election is going to get most of the ink.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2000, 10:19:00 PM »
Toad, I don't feel embarassed at all for the US or Florida about this election of the President of the United States of America.

True, we have a bunch of human beings acting like human beings... but what else is new? I don't think we're surprised that lawyers are snakes, are we? Or that people lie?

It just happened that the onus was on Florida in this election, but it could have happened to any state in the union.

The fact is, the most powerful office in the world is in the process of being transferred without a more than a pint of blood being shed. I'm proud to be in a country that can do that. I think this election will only be an interesting blip in the history books, and a notation that this national experience resulted in a better way of doing things.

Not many other forms of government could do it. China, Russia, the Middle Eastern countries, the third world, et.al. - its hard to picture anything but a bloodbath or civil war taking place under these circumstances.

As you say, that is not our way. Period.

Of course, I'm knocking on wood as I say this  

Gunthr

Oops, better add that there are some good attorneys... hyperbole.

[This message has been edited by Gunthr (edited 11-22-2000).]
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Snoopi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2000, 12:28:00 AM »
Just some serious non-bias comments...

Not that I like Lawyers....But....

Lawyers are snakes ??
How about:
The politcal lawyers are doing the job they are payed and hired to do.

You have a problem with the laws and how they are enforced ? Then change the law.

Is it a lawyer's fault that the courts decide in favour of an idiot who spills coffee on themselves or gets O.J. Simpson free ?
NO..The LAWS and the JURY decide.

And...

Does anyone seriously believe that if the situation was reversed, the Republicans would be "maneuvering" any different ?

And I say Republicans (not Bush) because I am amazed at how many people think that the candidate runs the show.
The trained Rep./Demo./Green etc. "monkey"
just looks like he/she makes the decisions.
He/She may make the final decision, but it is the "Party" and the permanent non-elected officials who really run the show and tell HIM/HER what to do.
There have been a few exceptions to this but not many.

What ya think  ?

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2000, 06:13:00 AM »
Snoopy,
You said:

Lawyers are snakes ??
How about:
The politcal lawyers are doing the job they are payed and hired to do.

You have a problem with the laws and how they are enforced ? Then change the law

I don't have a problem with the laws, or how they are enforced.

I have a problem with the seemingly increasing numbers of lawyers who lie. As "officers of the court", lawyers should really be held to a higher standard, yet it is common knowledge that many lawyers make their living not on finding the truth or upholding the truth, but in hiding the truth or twisting it to suit their needs.

Snooppy, I don't know how it is in Winnepig, but here in South Florida there are more lawyers per person in the population than in many other places. What do you think happens when so many lawyers are in one place, and they all have to make a living?

Yet I personally know some very competent and principled attorneys, and I know its innacurate to paint them with a broad brush. That is why I added the disclaimer  

<S>
Gunthr
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Snoopi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2000, 12:05:00 AM »
Gunthr:
Please don't think that post was meant directly for you.
This is just one of many THREADS that mentions "those damn lawyers".
Also "the Democrats are scum" and implies other parties would never do the same thing.

Yeah... I understand the numerous lawyer problem in Florida and the rest of the U.S.
The 'litigation to make me rich' concept that is becoming so extremely common in the U.S., is not so prevalent in Canada because the courts don't award millions of dollars for a stubbed toe here. The court system is very different too.

I just think that, currently a lawyer's job is to protect his client the best he can and find info about the "enemy".

Now this works not bad in some proceedings, but not many others. (Especially in personal injury cases)

That is why I would never be one.

1st scumbag client that confessed he was guilty to me, would have me recording every conversation so he would get put away with my help.
(and he would go free because of that and I would be disbarred)
(I make a bad cop too, because the courts would be empty and the morgue full of repeat child molesters, murderers etc. etc. Then I would lose my badge and go to jail   )

I just feel there is a current difference between what a lawyer's job IS and what it should be.

Currently what it is, is not so great.  

Lawyers being more accountable? Amen to that !
That is why I posted.
I was curious about how people felt and maybe  how things could be changed to fulfil the "Intent" of the law vs the "Letter" of the Law.

I had a discussion once with 2 lawyer friends over drinks, and they said that there where times that sometimes they did things they thought were wrong, but since the opponent played dirty they had to play "the game".

From a technical standpoint...
Is doing the job how it currently "IS",
being a scumbag ?
(e.g. I don't like doing it but it's my job)

Regards and <S> !,
Snoopi

[This message has been edited by Snoopi (edited 11-24-2000).]

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2000, 10:40:00 AM »
>Lawyers are snakes ??
>How about:
>The politcal lawyers are doing the job they >are payed and hired to do.

Snoopi,

Just one problem, most of those lawyers are on their own dime  , on both sides.

Wrench
Leave that thing alone!
Relax said the Knight, man, we are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2000, 10:59:00 AM »
<S> Snoopi

Gunthr

Offline Snoopi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2000, 12:39:00 PM »
Wrench:

How are they on their own dime ?

Not questioning the truth of your statement...just that I only pay attention to overview of the crap going on in the U.S. and I'm curious about how the lawyers are benefiting if they are not getting paid.

Purely for "visibility" thereby generating more income in the future ?

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2000, 11:50:00 AM »
Wrench CNN already reported that the lawyers for the individuals in floriduh that were going to court were being supplied or paid for by the Demos.

And personally I don't beleive any Demo lawyer would do ANYTHING unless there was money involved.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.