Author Topic: P- 51 site  (Read 541 times)

Offline Colt44

• Silver Member
P- 51 site
« on: May 25, 2005, 06:12:52 PM »
I use the p-51 site as my default for almost all of the Fighter / bombers I fly in the MA.  

What I would like to find is a written explaination on how the heck this site is used.  

Does anyone have anything stuffed anywhere which explains the how to use the P-51 site?  A Link?  A hand written note on the back of a Pizza box?  

For that matter, any information on that stupid field gun site would be helpful too.  

Thanks in advance.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
P- 51 site
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 07:15:08 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by "P-51" sight.  Most ring and bead type WW2 gunsights were pretty simple devices.  The bead was just a point of reference, ie where the bullets are going if you're traveling in a straight line.  The "Ring" was a crude range finder.  IF you know the wingspan of your target you can gauge range by knowing how many "mils" across the ring is.  You can probably Google mils and get some sort of definition.  With the icon system the ring largely becomes decorative.  Some of the custom gunsights that users have made have some other markings on it that have different relevance.  Maybe if you posted a picture of the sight in question someone can give you a better answer.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Colt44

• Silver Member
the defaut gunsight for the 51D
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 01:57:49 PM »
The sight I am referring too, is the default sight of the P-51d that is labled as such in my gunsight folder.  

I asssumed that this was a historic sight, but I see now I may be wrong.   I am looking for information on how to better use my sites for dead six shooting, and slight angle deflections  

I seem to miss a lot of dead six shots on my target, mainly in a fast dive.  I just can't judge the proper lead.  I will check out the mils online & thanks for the help Soulyss.

Or ... should i just spray and pray and use the force?

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
P- 51 site
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 02:09:09 PM »
that sight you are showing is a player-made non-historical sight.

it was made years ago, and was designed to aid aiming the rockets against ground targets. i dont remember exactly how it supposedly worked, but that was the main point.

for historically accurate sites check out waffle's sights, or try and get AERO's old sight pack
http://www.dangreve.com/new_gun_sights_download.htm

the real life P51 sight was just 5 small tic marks along the outter edge, and a dot in the middle.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Colt44

• Silver Member
Thanks Jb73
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 10:57:56 PM »
Thanks for the information.

I do like the sight and my squaddie Evil Owen modified it to be less cluttered.  I downloaded Aeros site pack.  

As for dropping ord with the site....in case any one is interested.....under the main cross hair. on a verticle scale, is two sets of small circles.  The top circles seem to give you good rocket shots in a 75 degree dive.  It has to be a steep angle.  The bottom circles give good bomb drops at 45 degree or better angle.

Works for me anyway.  Guess I will keep the site and make further modifications as needed.

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
P- 51 site
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 08:24:23 AM »
OK, from what I read and understand, this is what it all means. If you thought it was "cluttered" before, look at it now !  LOL!

You have the bomb and rocket sites correct. The "ticks" on the site line...now connected with the circle... are your range markers. These are used to figure the "lead" on a plane. If your going to aim at a planes cockpit at 500 yards out you would place the cockpit of your target along the inner circle with the center of your site in a direct line of the enemy planes flight. Same goes for 1000 yards, but with the outer circle. They cut the circles down to "ticks" on the lines to remove some of the clutter.

The "inplane site line" is for when you are "saddled up" and following the same basic flight path as the enemy. Here you would use those "ticks", however should you be going for a plane that you are NOT in plane with.... a tracking shot, or deflection shot as its called.... you would use one of the "out of plane" site lines. ex: your flying strait a level...not good in a fight, but good for this example :) .... the enemy is closing from you right...3 o'clock... and will pass strait in front of your going to your left...9 o'clock... Using the right center line you pull the trigger from the time he' crosses where the outside tick would be, to the time he crosses the inside tick... basically a quick burst. Thats what makes deflection shooting such an art, some have it some don't. With both planes closing at speed, you have to be able to to note the enemies distance, and the timing needed to hit the small window when he will be between those two points.

The yardages I use here, may very well be wrong. I never tested that site, but it give you an idea of whats what if ya got numbers to go by.

Offline Colt44

• Silver Member
Thanks !
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 05:52:51 PM »
Thats the explaination I was looking for....it gives me something to start with...Thanks Mad...I owe ya sir..