Author Topic: Anyone not tried WB3 beta?  (Read 3161 times)

AKSeaWulfe

Anyone not tried WB3 beta?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2001, 12:18:00 PM »
Rip, he means when you are shooting and hitting the enemy, little parts fly off. They aren't actually from the airplane, just random objects created that fall away from the plane to represent the skin getting torn off.

How realistic this is, I have no idea. If anyone remembers Pacific Strike, they did that there too... but it seemed like by the time you shot the bad guy down and you had seen all of the pieces falling away, his plane wouldn't of had any skin left anyway.

It would be an interesting effect to have here, but not be overdone. In DOA you can see little wood chunks fall away from the plane when you shoot them.

It's a cool little "wow, that's neat" effect but has no effect on how the plane looks after it's damaged.

The only game I know of that exists and models the plane's skin being shorn away and you can see little parts fall off is B17II.

Amazing graphical detail in there, shoddy flight model.
-SW

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2001, 12:25:00 PM »
I D/l'd it and played with it for about 5 minutes.  About the same as I do with the AH "beta" releases.

I don't like beta crap, I like a full game.  My flying time is limited, so I save it for scenario type flying.

AH is getting close to being a full fledged game; WB3 has a long way to go.  

edit-SW the flight model is the same as WB2.x, they did a few minor c/g corrections is the only change.

[This message has been edited by Gadfly (edited 03-16-2001).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2001, 12:27:00 PM »
Ahh, rgr, thks for clarification Wulfie...wonder how much that will affect this scenario:
A) 250 folks online
B) FR hit from that info being passed thru the internet via each FE?

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 03-16-2001).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2001, 12:29:00 PM »
Lizking, same here for me in AH, tried .34...once...tried .44, for a week...didn't really get 'into' it until 1.0.

Beta is beta, not a finished product.  We'll see how fast they can move, because their competition is moving quite fast now, with more coming online soon.

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2001, 12:36:00 PM »
I have always pondered the WHY in why people are so obtuse to change. In this case everyone is afraid that some other sim just might give AH some real competition.

I think the sole reason is becasue we get comfortable, we get good at flying our favorite sim. We get used to it, and we are afraid to have to learn a sim all over agian.

There's really no other reason for it. I know Ripsnort has give an, ahem..excuse because the developers are, ahem..arrogant. Sorry, that doesn't hold any substance with me.  That is just a convenient excuse to use when one resists change.  

I hope WB3 moves along so fast that it overtakes AH within a month.  I'm not resistant to change. I welcome it. It is a challenge to have to relearn how to fly, as you always do with a new sim. However, I also hope AH moves along so fast that it will continue to be a step ahead of WB3. Becasue then we will see some really great simming.

fscott  

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2001, 12:38:00 PM »
Dunno Rip.. it depends on if they model them similar to a wing falling off (everyone can see it) or a hit sprite (only the shooter sees it).  If its the latter, it shouldn't really matter how many are on line.  If its the prior.. 256 M RAM may not be enough.

AKDejaVu

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2001, 12:41:00 PM »
I'm going to be flying WBIII open beta but not as much as Aces High, I can fly a more complete product here even if its the same tired old MA Furball arena. When WBIII matures and brings back the WW2A then maybe I'll reconsider but then who knows where AH will be then. All the squeaking aside about the numbers of teams for a WW2A its much easier to make a terrain for two teams that is not symetrical but gives both teams an equal start, the current three country setup IMO seriously hampers the creation of an interesting terrain for the MA which is why we're stuck with the 'uterus of hell' terrain we have now.

Offline narsus

• Silver Member
      • http://www.blueknightsdvb.com
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2001, 12:47:00 PM »
I do have to agree Ien, should be better in the Customer Service department. I for instance would never want HS's job or any others at Ien, I have no patience for it either oh well.

Rip, as far as only letting account holders in the beta I agree with it. WB isn't a new game where you need lot's of new people to play it. Like AH in it's early days (totally new game...totally new people) It already has a base of players to test it. And as for the WB beta IMO it looks pretty damn good (much work left to do and much we havent seen)

I, like all of you, love the sim I play, and am interested in other sims as well...what baffles me is why the 2 communities don't get along that well sometimes. We have the same interests just different outlets.

Well that's my $.02

Narsus
Avid WB flyer, but always sneaking a peak at AH  

[This message has been edited by narsus (edited 03-16-2001).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2001, 01:00:00 PM »
I think all in all the majority of both communities get along well, its only a minority that actually post on these BBS's, and of that, there's only a small minority that don't get along.

In regards to developers (Fscott), it DOES affect you and I, our input into a sim dictates the end product, so for a developer to have an open mind, and feel that the customer is an important piece of the puzzle is important in my book.  How would you like to be part of a sim where the developer says, 'This is what you get, its the best there is because I have the best talent'...is that good for you, the end user?

avin

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2001, 01:09:00 PM »
Rip,

I generally don't reply to threads like this one, except to set the facts straight.

So let me say: of the many developers I've worked with, Hotseat is the best. No roadkill. Hugely competent. And if you're not a sensitive, 90s kind of guy, it's pretty damn clear that he does listen.

Yes, he's terrible at holding his customer's hand, looking deep into their eyes, and convincing them that they matter more to him than anybody else in the world.

He's arrogant, he can be cruel, and he's bloody good.

That's the key for me. How bloody damn good he is. I don't care about the rest. That's true for me in the rest of my life, and I find it works the same in my sim-life.

I'm afraid my post has upset some of you. I apologize. You, my simming friends, matter more to me than anything else in the world (looks deep into Rip's eyes, and smiles).

avin

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2001, 01:18:00 PM »
Hey avin, I respect your insight, that's what these boards are about, ones opinion, we don't all see the glass 1/2 full or 1/2 empty.
<S>

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2001, 01:37:00 PM »
Avin, all I can say about current iEN team is that they are extremely funny. Gave me tons of joy! I still think that "imbecilic communist bastard" was the funniest phrase I heard in years!  

HotSeat said he is going on a vacation, hope we'll be able to meet him in Moscow as he promised   After what you said (and believe me - I trust your opinion!) he must be a very interesting person!

------------------
With respect,
    Pavel Pavlov,
    Commissar 25th IAP WB VVS

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2001, 01:47:00 PM »

Originally posted by Gadfly:
edit-SW the flight model is the same as WB2.x, they did a few minor c/g corrections is the only change.
(edited 03-16-2001).]

Oh no.. you misunderstood me Gadfly.. I was referring to B17II, not WBIII. I haven't even loaded up WBIII to try it out. I was just commenting on B17II.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
-SW

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2001, 03:55:00 PM »
Hi Avin

I value your opinion a lot.

But hs comes off as a total little immature jerk.His mouth and attitude is what finally convinced me to leave w/b as well as many others.IEN management sure didn't help the situation either.

He has blamed everyone he can think of for w/b's problems and his attitude stinks.

He would have to put out a product so far above anyone elses for me to even consider it.I sure don't see even a hint of that yet.

BTW is Redant still around?

Frodo

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline Lugnut

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2001, 07:25:00 PM »
Wow, Cool. A thread where one sims fans is constructively critical of another sim and the other sims fans don't come in and insult everyone.

What a concept   I like it. Hope the trend continues.

Lugnut