Author Topic: How to Kill a CAP [film]  (Read 2648 times)

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2005, 10:06:06 AM »
I wanna learn how to aim like that:p

And how did u land on water? LOL
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 10:08:10 AM by SkyChimp »

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2005, 06:19:56 PM »
Thanks, everyone.

SkyChimp, I didn't land on water in the film.  It's possible that you haven't downloaded the map used in the film, or perhaps something is buggy, but I definitely landed on an airfield at the end.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2005, 10:16:45 PM »
I was wondering about that myself.
In my film viewer it showed you landing on water as well.
 Great film Leviathn:aok
Please keep em coming
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2005, 10:30:47 PM »
I just realized that I didn't answer Maddog's question about stick scaling.  Maddog, I use a full CH USB setup -- Combatstick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals.  I keep stick sensitivity at 100% across the board for all of my controllers (a straight line across the top), and I try to keep dampening and deadband to as low as possible with controller spiking.

Obviously such a setup probably wouldn't work with other types of controllers.  It just will not work on a twisty stick, for example.  

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2005, 10:32:52 PM »
Do you set the axis gain in the CH contol manager?

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2005, 10:37:04 PM »
Originally posted by BTW
Do you set the axis gain in the CH contol manager?

I don't touch it.  I keep the gain linear, sensitivity at 100%, and deadband at 0% in the CH Control Manager for all controllers and all axes.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2005, 10:44:55 PM »
Thanks

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2005, 10:46:58 PM »
Here are screenshots of my stick scaling for each controller/axis.

Pitch:

Roll:

Rudder:

Throttle:

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2005, 11:05:22 PM »
Thanks again Levi. I have all CH stuff too...tho all mine older analog stuff. My dead bands are real low too...love those CH stick :)... I'll give your settings a try, maybe I can be that smooth....LOL!! someday!  

Offline psob2

• Zinc Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2005, 06:44:52 AM »
thanks for posting the film. your flying and gunnery are terrific, i watch your films to try and learn what i'm doing wrong.

watched it with the film viewer set at recorded views. it seemed that you never used the zoom ('z' key) while fighting. is this correct, or just something the viewer doesn't show? do you recommend not using zoom while fighting plane vs plane?

btw, on my viewer you did land on the runway.
psob2, psob3, now BTPsob2

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2005, 07:05:43 AM »
Originally posted by psob2
watched it with the film viewer set at recorded views. it seemed that you never used the zoom ('z' key) while fighting. is this correct, or just something the viewer doesn't show? do you recommend not using zoom while fighting plane vs plane?

That's correct, psob.  I almost never use zoom while I'm fighting, as I find it limits my situational awareness and actually makes it harder for me to hit a target.  I will occasionally zoom in on a target -- usually if someone is fleeing and 500+ yards away from me.  Otherwise I tend to avoid using it.

On an unrelated point, it just occurred to me that at one point in the film I avoid going after what look like two easy kills in order to pointlessly strafe a building in the town.  In actuality, I was strafing ground troops that the M3 had just released.  For some reason they did not show up on the film.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2005, 10:39:05 AM »
yea.. i deleted ah then downloaded it again hehn :p

My stick also setup like that bur dead band and damping all the way down too.

Only way to fly LOL

Offline madness

• Zinc Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2005, 06:44:11 PM »
Thats exactly how I have my stick setup, and it is a Saitek cyborg evo twisty stick.  It is quite sensitive but it suites me best as it is.  I didn't like the default config for it, it felt limited in motion.

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2005, 07:57:23 AM »
I have been spending months in the DA and TA and only occasionally in the MA teaching ACM and eddicate with 2 of my
boys.
We review films and discuss both after. I choke on my own spit saying this but Levi's films are second to none as training aids
for both.

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2005, 05:31:24 AM »
Levi, I was going to go bed but then I read this post. I went into AH2 and did what you recommended. Heres my finds:

I no longer have a bad nose bounce nor do I jerk about alot while in manuevers. I feel very precise with my handling, especially with pitch control!

Getting rid of tracers was something I had done before, but when I re-installed AH2 I was too lazy to change them back. When I did this time, I noticed that I had a "feel" for where the rounds would go, and while I didn't count, one sortie of mine I got two kills using nearly 1/4 of what I'd use with tracers.

I studied your flying and didn't use zoom. I used to be a zoom potato but now after forcing myself to not use it, I was able to mind where I was going and what was going on A LOT better.

Levi, thanks! Oh and btw, a very SIC film!!!

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS