Author Topic: In seach of diversity  (Read 901 times)

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
In seach of diversity
« on: July 07, 2005, 12:05:55 AM »
It would seem to me that most of the complaints to “Perk Plane X” or add more perk planes revolve around the desire to see more diversity in plane types in the Main Arena.

Although I do not have a solution, I do think that the problem is in fact plane diversity (or lack thereof) and it’s impact on overall game playability.  It would therefore seem to me that it would be best to concentrate on strategies that would facilitate expanding the plane set that the player base would voluntarily use, rather than attack (perk) individual airplanes.

For instance, the C Hog was a very popular ride, so much so its usage caused a lot of player dissatisfaction.  The C Hog was then mildly perked and its usage plummeted.  While perking the C Hog did have the effect of reducing its usage, it did not have the overall effect of creating a more diverse plane set usage in the arena.  It may even have had the effect of reducing the diversity.

Where I am going with this has to do with human nature. I was a former C Hog driver.  I wanted a fast competitive ride.  And the cannons on the Hog also made excellent GV killers.  I killed many a Panzer (I am talking Panzer here, not Flack Panzer) with the hizookas of the Hog.  That was before HT changed the damage model of the Panzer.  The old panzers were sitting ducks for a C Hog.  In air to air fighting the high speed handling characteristics of the Hog, along with flaps, etc made it an exciting ride.  In short, I flew the C Hog because it was an easy to fly, relatively fast, and had a real mean guns package.

When we perked the Hog, I went to various other fast competitive planes.  Like the LA7, and the PonyD.  Why?  Because they are easy to fly, and are fast, with good guns package.  So the arena lost a C Hog, but gained a PonyD, and now I fly the Dora.  

I wouldn’t doubt a lot of other former hog driver (if they are still in Aces High) also switched to other top planes in the not perked plane set.   Thus we had more drivers in one less plane type.

I am not insinuating that we should unperk the C Hog.

What I am suggesting is that we consider more options in an attempt to create diversity in the arena than just perking a particular airplane.

What those options could possibly be are what I hope is discussed in this thread.

Offline Cooley

• Silver Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 12:16:57 AM »
RPS, Rolling Plane set for month

Week 1- 1939 to 1942 aircraft
Week 2- add 1942/43 aircraft
Week 3- add 1944 aircraft
Week 4- add 1945 aircraft

Im afraid the MA would not welcome this though.

It's the one thing i do miss the most from that other game
Cooleyof 367th

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 12:25:25 AM »
Couldnt agree more.

I wonder if HT could code something that could count (somewhat like the ENY system) how many planes of each type are in the air at any given moment. Again, keeping with some sort of ratio or equation... that would give allow only a certain number of each type of plane in the air.
It could be dependent upon how many players are on at the time. Something like that...

This idea has been brought up before I think... something like this anywyas. I dont even know if I like it. But it would be/couuld be an alternative to perking.

I am sorry, but I disagree with a rolling plane set in the MA. It goes against everything that makes the MA what it is, and great.

That would be great for some other arena. What arena? I dont know. Just not the MA.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 01:03:44 AM »
CHog is so mildly perked  I dont know how that is keeping anyone from flying them.
Hell if ya need more perks for a CHog just take a 109-f up for a couple flights
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
In seach of diversity
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 01:07:00 AM »
Also, it is nice in the main arena to have the ability to fly anything so that you can practice for scenarios -- get flight time in on the plane you'll be flying, whatever it happens to be.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 01:52:04 AM »
I don't want diversity.  I just wanna kill stuff.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 02:17:14 AM »
Screw it all, take away all perk cost on craft save for the 163, 262, Ar234, and see how that goes. You'll get plane diversity.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
In seach of diversity
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 05:56:15 AM »
Originally posted by RTSigma
Screw it all, take away all perk cost on craft save for the 163, 262, Ar234, and see how that goes. You'll get plane diversity.

I stated the same basic thing in a post a few days ago. I don't believe any plane should be "perked" except the 163, 262 & 234.

I honestly don't believe it will make a difference in the "MA"
I know some people think that everyone and their brother will just fly Tempest's, Spit14's and TA152's all day but I don't think this is the case. People enjoy flying different types of A/C for all different reasons.

Case in point> tonight {7-6-05} four or five Knights were at a base and it was attacked by five LA7's. Of course this the plane that everyone jumps up and down about and screams bloody murder or calls it names.
They attacked the field, took out a few field ack and shot down a couple of low and slow planes. Fair attack, nothing new here, two were shot down by a squadie in a Flak, one augered and the other two were chased down and killed {if i remember correctly} bottom line, they didn't make it home.
I have yet to see an airfield be totally dominated from a few LA7's that are attempting a cap. Yes, their fast, so what, doesn't mean they can't be shot down or ganged up on or some other counter measure.
Same goes for other A/C in the game, the Typh, 190, G10, Spit, P51, P38..........all good planes for various duties. I highly doubt AKAK is gonna trade his 38 in because the Spit14 is now "unperked"
I know these guys that fly certain planes are very good in them, no doubt about it. I know they prob have a million perk points also. So why arn't they upping Spit14's all the time or TA152's ??
Point is, they don't up them because their "perked" they don't use them because they fly what thier good in or what they enjoy flying for whatever reason.

Again, my opinion, it's just like the child that you very seldom give candy to. If you make the candy=(perks) the issue, then that is where the attention is paid. If candy=(perks) is not made a big deal then the kid doesn't see it as anything big, it's just candy.

Just my 2 cents on this one

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 05:58:28 AM »
If C-hog was now unperked, noone would fly it any more except D-hog guys---though it dives well, it's speed is only average, climbs like a stone, and down low it's LA-7 meat--guys who love that gun package drive the tiffie--rolls like chit, but an acceptable vulcher;
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 08:33:32 AM »
How about this...
Each country gets 1 to 3 aircraft factories, depending on map size. These facs have manable ack guns. The plane type manufactured is based on the highest number of sorties flown by a specific plane type during the previous 24 hrs. Kill the factory and the plane...say an La7 is disabled from the arena for an hour or two.

my two cents

DmdMax

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 10:03:04 AM »
Plane diversity isn't going to happen. You could remove the perks from every ride except the 262/163 and it would not change much. As MOIL said, players fly what they like, perk or no.

I see plenty of different planes. Just last nite we fought several Zekes along with the ussual La7s, 109's, 190s, f4Us, N1K2s, P51s, P47, etc., etc. I even occasionally see F4Fs, FM2s, Mossies, Ki84...

Sure you see more of some planes than others but that's just human nature and the nature of the MA.

I don't fly many perk planes because they don't offer me anything better than I can get from a non-perk plane for the common situation in the MA.

The MA is what it is. It will never be what you dream it to be. Frankly, a lot of us don't want it to be what some of you wish it to be.

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 11:39:48 AM »
Perk them all!!  except real early war stuff...so one can earn perk points.
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 12:05:28 PM »
Originally posted by Cooley

Maybe a rolling perk set. For example, in week 1, perk everything outside of 1939-42 and as the years become later and later, the perks become higher and higher. So, flying a 1945 aircraft in week 1 would cost you more than flying one in week 3.
sand

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 12:28:24 PM »
Cool ideas but  .  . .what is the best / most popular 1942/43 plane for example.  Wouldn't most people end up flying that one?  So, if diversity is what you are looking for, I don't think that will achieve it.

Honestly, I think most - not all - people complaining about the plane X (currently the LA7) is not because they seek diversity, they just seek more planes inferior to what they fly so they can kill them easylly.  I looked up a few of the people complaining about plane X and most are D9 drivers and a few are almost never in a fighter.  Think about it, if you are good and fly smart, what could possibly stop you if you are in a D9 or P51 or even a TYFFI?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
In seach of diversity
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005, 12:34:58 PM »
Originally posted by Cooley

Isn't that the purpose of the CT? Why not try it there and see how it works out. If people like it they will come. If not, at least you gave it a go.

Just a suggestion but it seems the CT is the perfect arena in which to try out different setups and see how it works out and who favors it.

IMHO the perfect sounding board for player participation is here but the perfect test area is the CT. Why not set a thread so people could submit trial setups and see how it goes over.