Author Topic: Comparing Islam to Christianity  (Read 4353 times)

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
Comparing Islam to Christianity
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 01:25:29 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
Kill 'em, kill 'em all. There can be no peace with these people.  Were I a muslim during the Crusades, I'd have said the same thing about the Crusaders.

You cant use the crusades in this comparison..... the crusades were sanctioned by the church.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 01:37:21 PM »
You cant use the crusades in this comparison..... the crusades were sanctioned by the church.

Where is the rule that says I can't?  Is it in the TOS?  Sorry, I missed it.

Many Muslim religious leaders not only at least tacitly approve of the terrorists and their tactics, they call for "Jihad."  Sounds sanctioned to me.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 01:39:24 PM »
Originally posted by mosgood

The Crusades were used by the church to give the Europeans (my ancestors) someone to fight other than themselves.  The idea was to stop them from killing each other and get them to kill Arabs/Muslims.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 01:41:21 PM »
The two religions are significantly different, even though Jesus Christ appears in both holy books.   These differences can be observed by anyone.  It is a fact that the call to make war on unbelievers is repeated over and over in the Qu'ran.  It is this aspect of Islam that is strictly interpreted by Islamists that allows Muslim extremists to commit terrorism to win favor with God.  In fact, they do not actually interpret it, they take it literally as it is written - the word of Allah.  

Islam is really a beautiful religion except for the calls to make war, the admonitions against any innovation, the admonitions against financial loans with interest (integeral in modern economies) condemning them as haraam, or against God, and other beliefs that do not fit in with today's family of man.  You will never, ever, see a Muslim extremist astronaut.  Or a Muslim extremist scientist who discovers a cure for some disease.  Or a Muslim extremist win any nobel prize for a scientific achievement or the Peace Prize.  Yet I can envision fundemental Christians doing this.  Some already have.  The Western Muslims who have adapted to our society interpret these things differently than the Islamists, which allows them to adapt Islam to modern life in the world community.  In Islamist's eyes, this makes them no better than kufr, maybe worse.

There really are no parallels in the treatment of "nonbelievers" that I know of in the holy books of Christian, Buddist, Jewish, Hindu, or any other religeon.  It is true that many people have been killed in the name of religion, but none of the holy books, except the Qu'ran, call on believers to either convert or kill non-believers.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 01:57:00 PM by Gunthr »
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 01:44:19 PM »
Where is the rule that says I can't?  Is it in the TOS?  Sorry, I missed it.

Many Muslim religious leaders not only at least tacitly approve of the terrorists and their tactics, they call for "Jihad."  Sounds sanctioned to me.

And if Seagoon decided that he has had enough and called for a crusade... that would also be sanctioned by the Church?

btw i was being sarcastic about using the comparison.....

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 02:03:24 PM »
Plenty of racists and bigots in this world and some are writing in this thread.
Remember that every religion has its nutcases and thinking only muslim extremists are the problem is naive.
They should be transferred to some distant island with extremist jews, hindus and christians so they could sort it out without interfering the lives of sane people.

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2005, 02:11:42 PM »
Originally posted by Staga
Plenty of racists and bigots in this world and some are writing in this thread.
Remember that every religion has its nutcases and thinking only muslim extremists are the problem is naive.
They should be transferred to some distant island with extremist jews, hindus and christians so they could sort it out without interfering the lives of sane people.

If only that were possible!

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2005, 02:15:07 PM »
And if Seagoon decided that he has had enough and called for a crusade... that would also be sanctioned by the Church?

I dunno, is Seagoon the Pope?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2005, 02:31:09 PM »

Are you saying that Muslim religious extremists are not the numerically largest, most active, most damaging group of terrorists in the world?
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2005, 02:35:07 PM »
Originally posted by deSelys
Seagoon if you really believe that because one see himself as a christian he can't commit atrocities, you're really brainwashed.

Modern example? IRA maybe?

better:  abortion clinic bombings/murders right here in good ole america.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2005, 02:35:45 PM »
I dunno, is Seagoon the Pope?

solyentgoon is poepl!!
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2005, 02:37:45 PM »
I agree with Staga.

BTW Staga.  Nice skewering of DOC "over there"  ;)  !

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2005, 02:47:51 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
.. I suspect your unable to see the forrest from the trees, Seagoon. With all respect, your focus remains the same.. 'we're good, they are evil'.

Secular definition changes not a whit the simple truth.. Holy Warriors kill millions.

Now, having clearly stated that your side is 'right' and their side is 'wrong', what's the church's next call to action? 'Turn the other cheek'? Or 'fire with fire'?

Solve the problem Seagoon.. WHAT makes your side, your principals 'holier' than theirs? How do you propose convincing the other team to play by 'your' rules? And, just what do YOU think the solution is?

Be honest.. and remember, this is NOT a personal attack.. it's a search for truth and a solution to the largest plauge on humanity. The world awaits the answer.

Hang,

Since you are our resident Anti Theist scholar, I'm more interested in reading your dissertation to this question you have posed. Seagoon as always is very obliging in his documented dissertations to most questions of this depth and in spirit I tend to agree with him, or on my own can research his sources. In your case, your off the cuff scholership tends to make for balanced reading of world views.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2005, 03:13:15 PM »
when lynchings was a cultural event for family portraits and postcards, was the christian outcry deafening?

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2005, 03:29:38 PM »
The point is, the Bible does not call for lynching as a way to please God.