Author Topic: Tips please  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2005, 10:11:17 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
Keep us posted, Loooootennnant.

:D

you can call me LT for short  ;)

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Tips please
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2005, 10:27:47 PM »
We damn sure ain't gonna call you Smokey...

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2005, 10:34:49 PM »
Originally posted by Lizking
We damn sure ain't gonna call you Smokey...

as far as tools go I'm lucky to have a good compressor.  an actual torch is pushing it.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Tips please
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2005, 10:39:30 PM »
Smokey as in Yunick, my friend.

Offline DJ111

• Silver Member
Tips please
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2005, 11:00:51 PM »
SMAW

Quick and easy.
Retired CO of the ancient **Flying Monkeys** CT squadron.

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
Tips please
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2005, 11:05:16 PM »
liquid wrench, let it soak, tap it with a hammer before you try again.

a little heat, not to much you wana get the lug hot not the bolt.

impact wrench.

ratchet, use a breaker bar.

all else fails weld a steel bar to it and stand on it.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2005, 11:16:20 PM »
Originally posted by Lizking
Smokey as in Yunick, my friend.
That's what I'm talkin' about!:aok

Guns, just let some WD40 soak on it all night, get a 4way tire tool and a piece of pipe. Jump on the dang thing and break 'em loose. You are a man and a Marine. Be one! Improvise, adapt, overcome.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2005, 11:33:12 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
That's what I'm talkin' about!:aok

Guns, just let some WD40 soak on it all night, get a 4way tire tool and a piece of pipe. Jump on the dang thing and break 'em loose. You are a man and a Marine. Be one! Improvise, adapt, overcome.

That is exactly what rounded the nut out in the first place.  I had gloves on and was squating the weight up.

When that didn't work I put almost 180lbs on the bastage nearly stepping on it.  

It's definatly soaking right now in oil (earl for you texans) but I need some out of the box thinking to get it off.  Its too rounded off for these standard methods because no matter how much force I put on it it will just slip.

I didn't realize what cheap lug nuts jeep puts on their cars.  I don't remember the last time I had the front tires off but they must have been over torqued then.  I live in the desert so there's not much chance of rust out here.  The auto hobby shop on base has to have specialized tools for something like this.

If I can't get them off then I'll call a friend in Cal. City to stop at Napa and come on base and drop off some lugs after I use the air chisel to get these off.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2005, 11:48:53 PM »
I'd also suggest you invest in a Metrinch tool kit. Fits SAE and Metric and will not round off a nut. They cost about $100 for the small set, but they are worth every penny. I've had one for about 5 years, great tools.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2005, 11:54:24 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
I'd also suggest you invest in a Metrinch tool kit. Fits SAE and Metric and will not round off a nut. They cost about $100 for the small set, but they are worth every penny. I've had one for about 5 years, great tools.

do they make it in deep well?

That's also my problem, the deepwell sockets I have are for my impact wrench and they aren't of the best quality.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Tips please
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2005, 12:00:59 AM »
Flame has been added to the mix...God help us all.

They make a nutbuster you can put on a nut and tighten till it slpits. Not sure if it will work with rounded, deformed edges though.

If nothing else spray the lug with penetrating lube,let it sit for awhile,get a pipe wrench if theres room to put it on and tap the end with a good sized hammer. Impact will loosen things better than brute strength anyday.

Ive never had much luck with heat.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 12:06:15 AM by FiLtH »

~AoM~

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2005, 12:04:30 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
do they make it in deep well?

That's also my problem, the deepwell sockets I have are for my impact wrench and they aren't of the best quality.
Yep, they have deepwell. I think the 6 piece set (which fits 12 sizes) is $30. I had a set and gave them to my bro-in-law. He's a fabricator and uses the **** outa them.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2005, 12:22:51 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
Flame has been added to the mix...God help us all.

They make a nutbuster you can put on a nut and tighten till it slpits. Not sure if it will work with rounded, deformed edges though.

If nothing else spray the lug with penetrating lube,let it sit for awhile,get a pipe wrench if theres room to put it on and tap the end with a good sized hammer. Impact will loosen things better than brute strength anyday.

Ive never had much luck with heat.

yea I had to take a second look at myself when I was squating in front of the tire with a can of WD40 and a lighter.  I really have nothing else to heat it up with.  

I'm thinking the "experts" at the shop tomorrow are going to tell me to chisle it off and order new lugs after I Efff them up.  

For those that say COUGH....HANGTIME....COUGH I'm not being creative enough I even considered trying to change the pads with the tire still on.  

to make matters worse my wife is out of town this week and I have no other transportation.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2005, 01:01:39 AM »
There's an old story about a guy with a flat outside a nut house.

He's changing the tire, has the lugnuts in the hubcap. A nutcase is hanging on the fence, drooling, blubbering, making small sounds. Gets the guy kinda nervous. He steps on the edge of the hubcap, lug nuts go flyin into the tall weeds.

The guy's stumped.. middle of 'nowhere' outside a nutfarm, flat tire, good spare but no lugnuts. The nutcase says in a level tone of voice, 'take one nut from each of the other three wheels.. that'll getcha into town.'

The guys thinks for a second, sez, 'hey.. that'll work... good idea.' Then he asks the looney why he's in a nutfarm.

"I'm crazy. Not stupid."
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Tips please
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2005, 01:22:35 AM »
Gunny,
WD40 is pretty much useless as a penetrant for rusted nuts/bolts. Use PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench instead. They work much faster.
I would tighten the rest of the nuts back so maybe that might take a bit of the pressure off of the stuck one.
For God's sake dude, don't be using the "aerosol" torch system. Very bad example to your kids if they saw it. BTW, for anyone with kids, chances are they'll see and learn the bad stuff. Murphy's Law and all that. ;)
Also, don't forget to check the angle and shape of the replacement lugnuts as they might be different than your stock ones. Might mess up your mounting holes if you've got Mag/Aluminum wheels.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell