Author Topic: Backpacking Q  (Read 975 times)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Backpacking Q
« on: July 29, 2005, 10:30:14 PM »
I’m thinking of going backpacking next month for the first time and would like some suggestions from experienced people. Specifically about laws, things to pack and equipment needed. I’d like to go for 3 days somewhere quite without any other humans. Also I want to bring handgun and rifle. So who has done it before and what do you suggest. Links are welcome.

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
Backpacking Q
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 10:34:16 PM »
Gps, Water, Cell, mirror (for signaling), binoculars, extra socks, map, compass, extra batteries. :) Have fun:)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Backpacking Q
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 10:53:36 PM »
Originally posted by Raider179
Gps, Water, Cell, mirror (for signaling), binoculars, extra socks, map, compass, extra batteries. :) Have fun:)

GPS?....Cell?....you are got to be kidding me. I want to get away from techology, not to use it.

Maps....compass....flashlite. ...socks.....check!

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Backpacking Q
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 11:11:24 PM »
Most important thing: good boots. I mean - in no way too small. Socks: cotton, then - wool, then (non-mandatory) - nylon over wool.

Don't even think about wearing "keds" or other footwear with soft soles. Get a pair of army boots. I don't mean Soviet "sapogi", just good army boots. I wore "sapogi" hiking for maybe 4 seasons, but it was "experimental" model, with polyurethane soles and 3 times lighter then standard "kirzachi". Army boots have many advantages over new-fangled hiking boots like Solomons. I have seen people returning from a hiking trip having their $120 Solmons tied with strings to hold them together.

An axe. Best stuff I have ever seen is made by Fiskars, Finland. "Forest axe" model, costed me about $50 10 years ago and I still have it and it payed me back every cent. An axe IS important!

Karemat (polyurethane foam carpet). Your kidneys are valuable for you, aren't they? ;)

I usually wear cotton camo suit, the only thing bad about it is that it doesn't have a hood. Cotton is better then new-fangled synthetic stuff - at least you can get drunk and fall into a campfire and it will not melt down like Gore-tex :D

A "nakidka" made of Korean waterproof nylon.

A tent - I hope you'll choose yourself what you like better. I have a "Sierra" model with two exits, 2.5kg total with aliminium frame. Fells like an oversize coffin - but I don't think I'll arrange parties inside ;) It's enough for 3 persons, it's warm, for two it's just enough space for... you now what :D

And get a smaaall bottle of ethanol (pure 96% wine spirit). 50ml of this stuff will revive you when you'll be setting up a camp after walking for 30km. 3 days for at least 3 participants = 0.5L, including some reserve just in case you'll have problems making fire ;)

A backpack: I prefer stuff that has a frame, it's easier to carry and when you fill it you simply put the stuff in and jump upon it so it will fit. Check a belt to unload your shoulder strips (lyamki) - it's important. It has to be right over your... how to say it in English... "kosti taza".

I hope I'll be on ICQ in 12 hours - so we'll talk in our language without fear to get "#16ed" ;)

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
Backpacking Q
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 11:13:27 PM »
Originally posted by Russian
GPS?....Cell?....you are got to be kidding me. I want to get away from techology, not to use it.

Maps....compass....flashlite. ...socks.....check!

Tell you this much you get lost out in the woods for a few days you are gonna wish you had em. Just keep em turned off, the cell only for emergency, the GPS is invaluable.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Backpacking Q
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 11:22:30 PM »
Tell you this much you get lost out in the woods for a few days you are gonna wish you had em. Just keep em turned off, the cell only for emergency, the GPS is invaluable.

Damn!  I forgot to include a compass! I once got myself into a deep bellybutton at a place I thought I know like my five fingers without compass...

GPS is a toy. Never used it. I always trust a map (even if it's a faded photo-copied 1937 stuff from GUGK RKKA), a magnetic compass and my own eyes. Orientation on a plain is quite easy. I've won two competitions in night-orientation as a group commander when I was at school, the only trick is to use "linear objects" as checkpoints.

Cellular is a nuisance.  Spoile me a vacation 2 or three times, now I leave it at home.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Backpacking Q
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 11:28:42 PM »
In 12 hours I should be awake, feel free to contact me. Thanks for advice.

"kosti taza". Hip/ butt bone?  ;) I understand what you are saying,

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Backpacking Q
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 01:06:33 AM »
Duct tape, mole skin, polypro liner socks under half wool/half synthetic socks. Boots if you're going off trail, if your staying on trail running shoes will work.

External frames are easier on your back, but if you will be going off trail, or mounaneering an internal frame won't compromise your balance as much.

Take iodine tablets for water purification and vitamin C tablets to remove the iodine taste. You don't need a filter unless your water source isn't clear. And if there are no water sources you should pack about a gallon of h2o per day. If you are taking dehydrated food you'll need to take even more water.

Do not go without a compass and a map. GPS is fun but a compass is necessity.

Bring a few different reliable ways to build a fire. Lighter, waterproof matches, magnesium, cottonballs with smeared with petroleum jelly in a ziplock, those joke birthday candles that don't blow out.

Whistle, signal mirror, and a leatherman like multitool.

Why are you bringing a rifle and a pistol? That's heavy. As far as the laws it depends where you go.  If you're really worried about bear and you don't want to take only bear spray. A small 12ga with buckshot is your best alternative. Have fun trying to stop a bear charging at you faster than a horse can gallop with a pistol. Also make a lot of noise, put bells on and stuff so that you don't surprise Smokey as he's eating somebodies horse along side the trail.

In federal wilderness all man made machines are illegal, even bicycle. gps, guns, flashlights, fishing reel are legal though. In some parks right now, camp fires and smoking are prohibited because of high fire risk.

More than you'll ever need to know here.
http://hikinghq.net/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 01:29:21 AM by Suave »

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Backpacking Q
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 01:42:32 AM »
You know, seriously, if this is your first backpacking expedition in a long time you shouldn't go alone.

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Backpacking Q
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 05:10:16 AM »
Don't come backpacking in the UK if you only have even a slight tan! :lol

If you must buy a see through rucksack! :lol

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Backpacking Q
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 09:36:56 AM »
I have a PUR water filter with a charcoal adder filter and I haven't used Iodine tablets since I bought the filter.  I can pull up stagnant puddles and fill a 2 liter bottle in 50 pumps or so.  The water taste like the best bottled stuff.  Get a filter.

If you worry about bears, bear proof containers for food are important.  Don't keep any food deep in your pack. Bears will destroy anthing between them and food.  I've seen pictures of car trunks torn open to get to the bacon within.

That being said, I have never seen a bear when I was packing in  Oregon.  Make enough noise when you walk down the trail and they leave you alone.  My food goes in a bag I hang in a tree.

I pack my Sig only because two legged critters in the woods are much more dangerous than four legged ones.  Not too many drunks in the wilderness though so the chances of that are very small.  

The main reason I carry my pistol I have always been worried about stumbling across someone's crop when I go fishing and wanted to be able to return fire.  Never been close to using it though.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Backpacking Q
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 10:53:51 AM »

LMAO flippin amatures.

I remember the days before GPS, and Cells.

There are ways to hike in even the most confusing of forests without getting lost.

A cell isnt a bad idea if you get seriously hurt. But even then as often as not you may be in an area where the cell might not get service.

The only MUSTS you should have when hiking in the woods other then a good pair of boots. (preferably with laces)Are a good and sharp knife, a book of matches or other firestarting apparatus, and a compass. A good sharp hatchet and a 50 foot length of rope along with a topographical map of the area is also preferable. A small mirror also isnt a bad idea

Then again it is his first time. In which case he shouldnt be straying off the hiking path to begin with.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Backpacking Q
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 11:08:52 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
I have a PUR water filter with a charcoal adder filter and I haven't used Iodine tablets since I bought the filter.  I can pull up stagnant puddles and fill a 2 liter bottle in 50 pumps or so.  The water taste like the best bottled stuff.  Get a filter.

Good call. Those things work great.

Also pack along a small book on wilderness survival.. jussst in case.

Its always good to know whats safe to eat plant wise. and can have some fun identifing and trying different plants even if you dont get lost. Just gives ya somethign else to do while your out there.

Oh and most things that crawl are edible though even if not very appetizing

A small fishing kit also isnt a bad idea. Even if its only some line and a few hooks.

But if you dont get a PUR or some other type of water purifier  be sure to bring plenty of drinkable water.

And DONT, I repeat DO NOT just drink water right from the stream or spring no matter how clean it looks unless you absolutely have no other choice.
The stomache and arse hole you save may be your own.

Oh and dont forget a first aid kit.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
Backpacking Q
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 03:26:41 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
LMAO flippin amatures.

I remember the days before GPS, and Cells.

There are ways to hike in even the most confusing of forests without getting lost.

A cell isnt a bad idea if you get seriously hurt. But even then as often as not you may be in an area where the cell might not get service.

The only MUSTS you should have when hiking in the woods other then a good pair of boots. (preferably with laces)Are a good and sharp knife, a book of matches or other firestarting apparatus, and a compass. A good sharp hatchet and a 50 foot length of rope along with a topographical map of the area is also preferable. A small mirror also isnt a bad idea

Then again it is his first time. In which case he shouldnt be straying off the hiking path to begin with.

Hey what can I say, I think the waypoint feature. Lets you mark cool spots so you can find them again. Yeah you can do it with a map, but I would rather spend my time hiking and enjoying the view than trying to figure out where I am going.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Backpacking Q
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 03:54:59 PM »
Hmmm how do I say this without getting modded...

How about this:

(Dred this isn't aimed at you, but you did strike a sore point with me)

Anyone who goes into a wilderness area without taking along lightweight devices that have been proven to save lives and that you probably already own, just because they use technology, is a total retard.

Seriously, I spent a dozen years camping and hiking in the boy scouts, another two dozen years camping and hiking with family and friends, and taught woodlands survival at the USAF academy for 2 summers, and I've come to the conclusion that the macho outdoorsman thing is an amature act when it comes to emergency equipment.  If you don't want to be bugged by your cellphone, turn it off but still bring it along.  If you want to enjoy the challenge of outdoor orienteering and navigation, then leave your gps at the bottom of your pack, but still bring it along.  I can't count the number of emergency situation "saves" I've read about that were directly attributable to having a gps, cell phone, or other newfangled emergency gear, and I've read about just as many people who died that may have been saved if they had some simple and cheap gadgets for emergency use.

Like the group of three experienced he-man adventurists who went over the wrong ridge during a snowstorm and died within 1/4 mile of their shelter.  Or the dude who rode his mtn bike off the trail into a ditch, broke his hip, and nearly died even though he was within a cell phone coverage area.

Those suckers are so light and cheap nowadays, just toss them in your pack.  They're cheap insurance and failing to bring them out of some misguided sense of macho pride is the act of a mentally deficient individual (ie. a retard).  All that other stuff is great, but it doesn't mean anything when you and your hiking partner slip down a muddy slope and break your legs.  Or your partner gets mauled by an animal and is bleeding out faster than you could go get help.  Or the weather closes in and you need to know the direct-line or shortest route back to shelter.  Or you have to leave a disabled partner to go get help and want to have gps coords handy for the rescue helo to go back and make the pickup.  The tech is available and cheap, so toss the macho BS and treat it like any other piece of emergency gear.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.