Author Topic: a-26  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
Re: a-26
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2010, 12:34:11 AM »
Pe-8
 :bolt:
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2010, 01:48:00 AM »
    Guess I should have put dates in.  The red that you highlighted would be for the B-26K, A-26A.    The A-26B  and the A-26C would be what we would see in game.  There were air forces using the A-26A (as the rebuilt b-26K was called) in 1977.   A-26A was made in 1948 from what I understand.  

I was responding to the first post and trying to show that there were not 18 guns.

B-26K's still never had 20mm cannon nor .30 calibre machine guns....

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2010, 09:07:54 AM »
Our weapons loadouts should be simple... in addition to the four (4) .50cal in the upper and lower turrets...

We should have the choice of a glass nose, 6-gun, or 8 gun nose, with obvious penalties in performance due to weight.

We should also have the option of wing gun packs, adding an additional four (4) .50cal MGs to the wings, again, with drag and weight performance reductions.

I like the A-26, mostly because of improved survivability in the LW arena. If you're vehemently against the A-26, well, this one is for you...

Skunkworks AvA Researcher and
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2010, 09:34:23 AM »

I like the A-26, mostly because of improved survivability in the LW arena. If you're vehemently against the A-26, well, this one is for you...

(Image removed from quote.)

:lol :rofl

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »
I wonder which will happen first - Skuzzy to edit that pic, or someone to verify that its his backside!

J
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline SpiveyCH

• Copper Member
      • http://www.chawks.org
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2010, 06:18:04 PM »
    I never stated that a a-26 with cannon was used in combat.  All I did was list the armament that Bill Gunston had listed in his book.  They did make a prototype with a 20mm.  There was at least one made.  Why did they list this, even though it was not used in combat?  Because they show the complete history of the aircraft.   

I was also shocked to find out that they made one with 18 guns firing forward.   8 in nose, the 2 turrets were locked in place firing forward, and they put 3 under both wings.   IT DID NOT SEE COMBAT, but they made at least one.

This is what we would see in game--

(A-26B) ten 0.5in Brownings, six fixed in nose and two each in dorsal and ventral turrets;  internal bomb load of 4,000lb (1814kg), later supplemented by underwing load of up to 2,000lb (907kg);  (A-26C) similar but only two 0.5in in nose.
SpiveyCH
The 364th C-HAWKS Fighter Group

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2010, 08:18:17 PM »
    I never stated that a a-26 with cannon was used in combat.  All I did was list the armament that Bill Gunston had listed in his book.  They did make a prototype with a 20mm.  There was at least one made.  Why did they list this, even though it was not used in combat?  Because they show the complete history of the aircraft.   

Dunno where Bill got his information, but it's wrong.

The only reference I can find for 20mm on an A-26 is a proposed night fighter version that did not go beyond the design phase.

I was also shocked to find out that they made one with 18 guns firing forward.   8 in nose, the 2 turrets were locked in place firing forward, and they put 3 under both wings.   IT DID NOT SEE COMBAT, but they made at least one.

This is what we would see in game--

(A-26B) ten 0.5in Brownings, six fixed in nose and two each in dorsal and ventral turrets;  internal bomb load of 4,000lb (1814kg), later supplemented by underwing load of up to 2,000lb (907kg);  (A-26C) similar but only two 0.5in in nose.

Incorrect again.  The lower turret will not lock forward to fire directly forward.  360o travel in rotation, and depressed from 5o to 89o down.
There is a distinct step in the fuselage forward of the lower turret where it fares into the rear of the bomb bay.

Also, with the installation of a new, bulged canopy, the upper guns could no longer be locked forward to fire.

In mid-September 1944 a hand-built prototype canopy was installed on an A-26B at Long Beach.  Two moulded Plexiglas hatches, bulging upward over the cockpit, replaced the flat, framed canopy.  The two hatches were hinged on the outside edges, opening outward in a clam shell fashion and meeting in the middle when closed.  The decking behind the cockpit was also modified to meet the lines of the bulging canopy as it fared back into the fuselage.  Besides the improved visibility, the higher canopy also allowed the pilot to look over the top of the nacelles on each side of the aeroplane, with the right side hatch extending further aft than the left hatch to increase visibility toward the right rear of the cockpit. One drawback was that the top turret guns could no longer be locked forward for use by the pilot for strafing since the canopy bulged into the line of fire.
(Douglas A-26 and B-26 Invader by Scott Thompson)

You still could potentially have 18 forward firing .50s but at the expense of poor visibility and slower airspeed.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2010, 09:43:17 PM »

I wonder which will happen first - Skuzzy to edit that pic, or someone to verify that its his backside!

J

That is, infact, cobia's hiney.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »
Good lord a 75mm and a 37mm in the nose, wow!
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2010, 01:23:32 AM »
Later versions also carried 6 .50cal in the wings...so in theory...unless the wing packs couldn't be carried on the versions with the wing guns...

You could have an 8 gun nose, 6 fifties in the wings, and an additional 8 fifties in two twin packs under each wing, for a total of 22 .50cal machine guns.

Now - it more than likely never happened, why would anyone want the added drag and weight of 8 more .50s when you've got 14 already...but...unless someone has a pilot's manual for an A-26, it could, in theory, be done.

According to Francis Gallemi's Warbird Profile A-26B/C (Aries Publications, 1994), two twin 'tubs' could be carried under each wing. The author mentions that used in conjunction with the wing-mounted .50s, it dramatically increased the Invader's firepower...

Attached is a pic...

Primary Cause of Angst

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2010, 06:13:12 AM »
That is, infact, cobia's hiney.

nope my hiney is not that fat    :D

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2010, 12:38:10 PM »
Good lord a 75mm and a 37mm in the nose, wow!

Never used.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Liberator

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2010, 04:48:31 PM »
+1 to the A-26!

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »
Attached is a pic...

interesting!

how much ammo is in those twin pack pod dealies? doesn't look like theres room for much. 

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline SpiveyCH

• Copper Member
      • http://www.chawks.org
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2010, 08:27:08 PM »
The Douglas XA-26A was a prototype night fighter/attack aircraft ordered at the same time as the XA-26 light attack bomber. The XA-26A was similar to the XA-26 but was designed specifically for the night attack mission. The aircraft had a solid nose designed to carry radar used for search, intercept and attack. Since the nose was filled with electronics, there was no room for attack weaponry. Douglas engineers solved the problem by designing a ventral "tub" housing four 20mm cannons. The cannon machinery and ammunition boxes took up a relatively large amount of space in what was the forward bomb bay of the XA-26. Only the aft bomb bay was retained and gave the XA-26A a maximum internal bomb load of just 2,000 pounds. Defensive armament consisted of a remote controlled dorsal barbette with four .50-cal. machine guns.

Testing of the XA-26A was successful; however, its performance was about the same as the Northrop P-61 "Black Widow" night fighter. The P-61 was already in production and Douglas was short of production capacity for new aircraft so the XA-26A program was canceled after only a single prototype was built.

Serial #  41-19505
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:40:18 PM by SpiveyCH »
SpiveyCH
The 364th C-HAWKS Fighter Group