Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 4309 times)

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
Smoking
« on: December 18, 2001, 12:04:00 PM »
I am in the process of selling my house.  A realtor just came by to preview it for a potential client.  I explained all the work that I had done to improve the house and the dates the work was completed.  As she was leaving she remarked that I smoke in the house.  I said yes because I own the house, pay the mortage on time and have paid for all the improvements.  She insisted that some people would be offended by the fact that I smoked in my own house.

Where on earth does someone feel it is so important to be offended by what goes on in someone's elses house!?!?!  What on earth has happened to our society?  Geez, if someone is so offended they should be looking to build or rent an apartment!!  Or better yet, if they are so easily offended they should be considering suicide to save their sencibilities!!

I am at a loss in the way some people think these days.  Thank God my time is short as I couldn't stand living in a society that would want to dictate my and everyone elses lifestyle!!<throws hands in the air in total frustration>

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Smoking
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2001, 12:10:00 PM »
Heh...it's true that some may dislike the fact that you smoke in the house.  I think the realtor (like a car salesman) probably uses "Never been smoked in" as a sales pitch.

Personally...pet odor pisses me off more that a smoker.

BTW does your house have a fireplace?  Have you ever used it?  Because some people are offended by that.......

<stands next to 1776 and throws arms up>

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: skernsk ]

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Smoking
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2001, 12:14:00 PM »
OZ, you are absolutely correct. I quit almost 2 years ago, but before I did I was vilified as something worse than a baby-fur-seal-pedophile if i lit one up anywhere within 30ft. of a nonsmoker OUTDOORS! Sheeeesh.
   :mad:

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
Smoking
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2001, 12:28:00 PM »
People who don't smoke or who don't buy cigs are child abusers!!  Part of the taxes on tobacco are used to fund health care for under-privileged children.  If your not paying these taxes then you are killing poor children by denying them healtcare.  So you non-smokers should buy 1 carton of cig a week and give then to your smoking friends and then you will be back in the good graces of our liberal minded friends.  You can show your face in public too, just as long as you don't offend anyone :)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Smoking
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2001, 12:30:00 PM »
I had an experience with an anti-smoking-femanist-nazi about 5 years ago. I was OUTSIDE smoking a stogie on my break time.  This nice   :rolleyes: lady walking to the door from the parking lot.  She's about 10' away from me and I can hear her mumbling about the 2nd hand smoke and she has a really pissed off look on her face, as if I had just puked on her child or something.  She said "do you have to do that here?!" in a real smart bellybutton tone.  I told her well they already kicked me out of buildings, as I opened the door for her.  

The next words out of her mouth were, "I don't need any help from you!" again in a really smart bellybutton tone.  So I simply said "ok" and let go of the door. Imagine my delight when the door then hit her square in the face   :) and just about knocked her flat on her fat arse.  Now I did actually feal sorry at what had happened and apologized to her.  But she simply snorted that I had done it on purpose.  So I smiled at her, rolled my eyes and said "I thought you didn't need any help from me" then I blew a puff of smoke in her general direction   :)

Best part was that, ironicly, I got to work at the exact same time as her for about the next 2 weeks. We'd have to take the elevator together heheheh I smiled at her eveytime I saw her and each time got the "I hope you rot in Hell look"

Basicly I say screw em!  I don't want to "offend" anybody.  But if I'm in a designated smoking area and somebody tells me to stop they're going to at the very least get a smart bellybutton statement, if not down right get told to F*** off!  Depending upon the size of the person ofcourse   ;)

God I do wish I could quit these damned things.....

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Udie ]

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Smoking
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2001, 12:32:00 PM »
Years ago I was selling a car.  A woman acted very agitated, and asked if I smoked in the car.  I said. "Yes. I have gotten a few blow jobs in it also".

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
Smoking
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2001, 12:33:00 PM »
I have owned this place since 1994.  I wonder how many times I have farted in the house? heheeeeee LOL

Now that could be offensive :D!!!

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Smoking
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2001, 12:37:00 PM »
I smoked for 12 years....quit about a year ago. Smoke bothers me now. I go to a sports bar to catch games on Sundays, I have to take a shower as soon as I get home to wash the stench off of me. Most of the time I leave with a raging headache too. I never complain or give anyone a hard time, but would I prefer it if they didn't smoke in there? Hell yes.

You should be able to do whatever the hell you want in your own house though.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
Smoking
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2001, 12:41:00 PM »
If smoke now bothers you you shouldn't be going to places that you know are hangouts for smokers!!  There are so few and you as a non-smoker have more choises why go to a smoking bar???

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoking
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2001, 12:44:00 PM »
it didnt have anything to do with squelching your rights it was about market value.

smoking leaves a smell in your house and turns the walls yellow. you arent going to want to buy a house if the smell of smoke bothers you.

the realtors job is to maximize the sale - anything that depreciates the house will get mentioned.

i smoked for 12yrs glad i quit.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Smoking
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2001, 12:48:00 PM »
I've never smoked and honestly never had a desire to try it.  Smoke bugs me, makes my eyes water up and my voice just goes to nothing.  As a bartender, I just endured it and tried to be polite to those who did.  

But, there are those who are considerate of it, and understand not everyone wants smoke blown at them.  And there are those who, be damned what the rest of the world thinks, he's gonna smoke and blow it in your face in a defiant act of NYAH NYAH.  I just hope I'm there to turn off the life support on those guys  :)

Certainly, its your house and your rules.  And some people, who are hyper-allergic, will react to your house if it does have the smoke-scent to it.  I suspet the realtor just wanted you to be aware of that.  Much as there are some apartments where if the previous tennants had pets, it would be sheer misery of someone who is allergic to go there.  I don't have any allergies (thank you, God) but my brother has asthma pretty bad.  Bright kid, has been on inhalers all his life, now he inhales Camels.  4 year degrees don't buy common sense, eh?

I wouldnt get to offended by it.  I'd say quit and try the Patch but Im told those are harder then hell to light up     :p

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
Smoking
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2001, 01:22:00 PM »
I have smoked for 30+ years and I will be damned if I will roll over for others as they wouldn't do it for me,so :P

If people are so offended then why don't they ban together to have it outlawed?  Or is it because our liberal friends will have to raise taxes on something that you may like in order to make up the short-fall.

Alcohol has sure killed more people then cigs.  SUV's and cell phones should all be taxed out of existance due to their health hazards!!  Yeah, you all should live like I tell ya how to live.  I know you(meaning our society) sure want to tell me how I am supposed to live.  

I am just at my wits ends regarding this type of issue.  It's so easy to avoid anything unpleasent in your life if you take the approiate action to avoid instead of expecting other to conform to your style.

What the hell has happened to America anyway?

Are we all a bunch of dependent wimps now?  If so, count me out!!!  I know what I like and avoid anything that I don't like, it's so easy.  Try it. it's easy!!!

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Smoking
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2001, 01:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul:
But, there are those who are considerate of it, and understand not everyone wants smoke blown at them.  And there are those who, be damned what the rest of the world thinks, he's gonna smoke and blow it in your face in a defiant act of NYAH NYAH.

I fit both of those catagories.  I know what it's like to be bothered by smoke.  I can't stand when somebody smokes in a car, that I'm in, and leaves the windows rolled up.  I also don't like smokey rooms or bars.  More than that though, I don't like being asked or told not to smoke in a smoking area[/i] normaly though if asked politely I will grant the request and put out the smoke, but usualy if I'm the only person smoking.   I won't get "rabid" until my rights have been trampled on  :rolleyes: because somebody got rude....

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Smoking
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2001, 01:47:00 PM »
I smoked for 32 years, just quit last october. There is no WAY you'd of kept me from smoking in my own house. They don't want the smell, well they can always paint!

Now someone elses house or car I'd always ask before even thinking about lighting up.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Smoking
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2001, 01:50:00 PM »
Ah, some more good reading from Steve Martin's Cruel Shoes.

The Smokers

He lit the cigarette and smoked it down to the filter in one breath. He silently thanked the Winston Company for being thoughtful enough about his health to include a filter to protect him. So he lit up another. This time he didn't exhale the squeaky-clean filtered smoke, but just let it nestle in his lungs, filling his body with that good menthol flavor. Some more smokers knocked on his door and they came in and all started smoking with him.

"How wonderful it is that we're all smoking," he thought.

Everyone smoked and smoked and after they smoked they all talked about smoking and how nice it was that they were all smokers and then they smoked some more.

Smoke, smoke, smoke. They all sang "Smoke That Cigarette" and "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes." Then the smokers smoked one more cigarette and left him alone in his easy chair, about to relax and enjoy a nice quiet smoke. And then his lips fell off.

--

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Creamo ]